This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. The Book of Revelations: It's not relevant for the current age

User Info: DeadlyNinjaBees

DeadlyNinjaBees
3 weeks ago#51
Don't underpants Gnome me! Seriously, read the article. Even the wiki one. It will take you a knowledge Journey. For JUSTICE! I read about stuff all the time. Evens stuff I'm not into. Like I'm reading about the cephalophores at the moment. Those are good stories of early Christian History.
Also, all about "artifacts". That's another good read.
Soi Disantra.

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
3 weeks ago#52
DeadlyNinjaBees posted...
the_hedonist posted...
By the way, it’s the Book of Revelation, not Revelations.

It is BOTH.

It's actually "A Revelation of John." (Αποκαλυψις Ιωαννου)

;)
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

YHWH_Saves
3 weeks ago#53
OrangeWizard posted...
what's the process a contemporary reader would use to figure out that it refers to Nero?

I think the point that DNB is making (and I sort of agree with) is that the contemporary reader doesn't have, nor does he/she need, a reference point for understanding that this is Nero being referred to.

The original audience of this scroll wasn't contemporary believers, in my view.

I've already explained how relevant it is for our (any) time, but I think that the most natural reading of the text forces us to place it in its proper time.

======

There are finer details in all of the scriptures that we cannot understand/place in history, but that doesn't mean that we have reason for concern.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
3 weeks ago#54
DeadlyNinjaBees posted...
Seriously, read the article.

I've quoted the relevant parts of both the Wikipeida article and the blog, and pointed out how there are no citations or references that support this particular claim. I find it strange that you seemed to have uncritically swallowed this claim whole, despite the apparent lack of evidence. Evidence that, if you had, you would surely show me.

Unless you can provide me with something else, then I don't think we have anything more to discuss.

User Info: TheGrowlanser

TheGrowlanser
3 weeks ago#55
Jesus hasn't even returned yet and this guy says is not relevant for the current age. Sad! You are just too comfortable in life and you don't want that to end, accept it. But the signs are very clear, and as the 'Days of Noah' people will be marrying and doing their own thing, but that won't stop Jesus from returning and taking most of humanity by surprise.

Long live the LORD and his coming kingdom!
You never fight against justice.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: KingzJuster

KingzJuster
3 weeks ago#56
TheGrowlanser posted...
Jesus hasn't even returned yet and this guy says is not relevant for the current age. Sad! You are just too comfortable in life and you don't want that to end, accept it. But the signs are very clear, and as the 'Days of Noah' people will be marrying and doing their own thing, but that won't stop Jesus from returning and taking most of humanity by surprise.

Facts. This current generation is absurdly corrupt and we're living in times where right is frowned upon and wrong is right in a VERY blatant way.

And yes, it has been like that many times throughout history, but it's flaring up big time nowadays along with other world events pertaining to Scripture coming to fruition.
Always bet on me.
PSN: KingzJuster

YHWH_Saves
3 weeks ago#57
TheGrowlanser posted...

I certainly don't fit into this generalization, and I do believe that Jesus has come back. I certainly hate sin, and am not comfortable with life.

However, I believe that to make Revelation about us is to rob the scroll of its original meaning.

============

The truth is that the most ferocious empire of all history (before America) - Rome - was conquered by the quiet Lamb of God. Steven looked up, at his stoning, and professed to see Jesus standing at the right hand of God. The confession of the apostles was that Jesus had assumed the role of Lord/King. Jesus did come back - in the flesh - and appeared to hundreds of witnesses.

To say that Jesus is specifically coming back to our generation is - despite being a LONG DESIRE OF MINE - a bit besides-the-point.

============

Christ has already come back, and the world has already been judged.

YHWH_Saves
3 weeks ago#58
To answer succinctly:

The Book of Revelation is for us. It's not about us, but it is for us.

What is it about?

It's the pronounced judgement for any empire/nation/kingdom that wages war with God's Christ. It applies to Rome; it applies to America. It applies to families, and to churches.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: DeadlyNinjaBees

DeadlyNinjaBees
2 weeks ago#59
TheGrowlanser posted...

Jesus is dead, man. He ain't coming back. He died a long, long time ago. I'm sorry.
You people just hate gays and "sinners" and want the world wiped clean of things you won't accept. So, instead of tolerance, you practice "willing" the end of days into existence. Sorry, bruss. It's not gonna happen. Start recycling and leaving a smaller carbon footprint, because this planet is our HOME and it's not getting destroyed by magic people anytime soon. Take some responsibility and get out of your fantasy. Somebody assumed that outcome you have such a boner for out of ancient words that were never for us. John did not know you were gonna be born. In fact, I dare say he thought the world would be long gone by the time we came about.
Make your own decisions about the future. Don't be unrealistic. Go back and read what you just said. It's ludicrous fantasy. Either go somewhere out in the middle of the ocean where these thoughts and beliefs don't cause damage, or join reality and take responsibility for it with the rest of us.

KingzJuster posted...
Facts. This current generation is absurdly corrupt and we're living in times where right is frowned upon and wrong is right in a VERY blatant way.

And yes, it has been like that many times throughout history, but it's flaring up big time nowadays along with other world events pertaining to Scripture coming to fruition.

Explain how this is "Facts". The idea of Armageddon and interpretations do not stand against the robust definition of "Facts". We are not getting more corrupt, the world is not out of hand, and things have never been better for our species.
Around 580 odd years ago Genghis Khan and his hordes raped and mutilated the majority fo Asia and Europe, reducing the world's population significantly. People thought the end was around then. The Spanish flu, the black plague. All these terrible things have happened. But now that gay people are allowed to marry, things are "abusrdly corrupt". No. They just don't interface with your God-boy morals.
NONE of your scripture has PROVEN any of it's predictions! EVER! Give me an instance! Where are the "Facts" at?
You people believe this embarrassing s*** without even fully understanding who interpreted it, why it was interpreted that way, or even QUESTIONING what you know to be true yourselves.
Stop wishing the end of it all into existence and start representing your f***ing species and humanity! Have some ambition for your world outside of bigotry and dogma.
Soi Disantra.

User Info: TheGrowlanser

TheGrowlanser
2 weeks ago#60
Shortly after commenting on this thread, I got a notification for a YouTube video from a Christian channel I haven't gotten notifications from in like two months. Not a coincidence. I believe that the LORD wants me to share the video here because is relevant to the subject.

https://youtu.be/rlkYDjwnPio

YHWH_Saves posted...
TheGrowlanser posted...

I certainly don't fit into this generalization, and I do believe that Jesus has come back. I certainly hate sin, and am not comfortable with life.

However, I believe that to make Revelation about us is to rob the scroll of its original meaning.

============

The truth is that the most ferocious empire of all history (before America) - Rome - was conquered by the quiet Lamb of God. Steven looked up, at his stoning, and professed to see Jesus standing at the right hand of God. The confession of the apostles was that Jesus had assumed the role of Lord/King. Jesus did come back - in the flesh - and appeared to hundreds of witnesses.

To say that Jesus is specifically coming back to our generation is - despite being a LONG DESIRE OF MINE - a bit besides-the-point.

============

Christ has already come back, and the world has already been judged.

YHWH_Saves posted...
To answer succinctly:

The Book of Revelation is for us. It's not about us, but it is for us.

What is it about?

It's the pronounced judgement for any empire/nation/kingdom that wages war with God's Christ. It applies to Rome; it applies to America. It applies to families, and to churches.

I don't know how can anybody read/study/research the 'Book of Revelations' and come to this absurd conclusion when everything that was written there is clearly as day talking about yet to be fulfilled coming prophetic events. You are wrong, plain and simple, and should reevaluate your beliefs.

KingzJuster posted...
TheGrowlanser posted...

Ah, another aware believer. A rare sight is this sad board indeed. A bit of hope in the local Christians restored. Thank God!
You never fight against justice.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. The Book of Revelations: It's not relevant for the current age
  • Post New Message