This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. The Book of Revelations: It's not relevant for the current age

User Info: DeadlyNinjaBees

DeadlyNinjaBees
3 weeks ago#41
SSj4Wingzero posted...
It's the Book of REVELATION, not "Book of Revelations." It's not plural. Get it right.

Wikipedia can offer revelations of it's own!

The Book of Revelation, often called the Book of Revelations, Revelation to John, the Apocalypse of John, The Revelation, or simply Revelation, the Revelation of Jesus Christ (from its opening words) or the Apocalypse, is the final book of the New Testament.

When I grew up, in my religion, saying "Revelations" was common. Nitpick at it all ya want, but it's not up to you to decide.
Soi Disantra.

User Info: JonWood007

JonWood007
3 weeks ago#42
OrangeWizard posted...
JonWood007 posted...
Christians couldnt speak outright against rome or they would be persecuted. So they used coded language to do so.

Can you cite some examples of this? Because, like I said, Wikipedia didn't cite anything next to their claim that 666 was code to "secretly speak against the emperor"

Except a lot of them died or were persecuted, by Rome, and accounts of which are found in the bible. So it seems like they said plenty.

They might not teach you that in JW sunday school but they will in a reputable, academically rigorous college course.

Do they teach you how to cite sources in those academically rigorous college courses? Because you've just been saying "Believe me! This is a fact!" so far.

The bible is not written by a single person or entity. You might disagree with that, but it's really a collection of works in which many people wrote about things. Many of the accounts, taken in and of themselves, and compared to others, contradict each other. I know you wouldnt recognize that because of your own presuppositions on the bible and i dont wish to get into yet another pointless debate about this, but this is how the bible is viewed by many outside of your faith and the views of fundamentalists.

Anyway you want evidence of the nero thing? Here.

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/gladiators/nero.html

Also, to save time i took a screenshot of the study bible i used in college and their page on this, so enjoy. The source is from "the access bible", the older edition of it.

https://imgur.com/UDq3zTg

Do they teach you how to cite sources in those academically rigorous college courses? Because you've just been saying "Believe me! This is a fact!" so far.

Yes they do, the difference is this is an informal debate on a gaming website. I'm far lazier than I would be if i were writing a paper for college.
i7 7700k | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | 16GB EVGA DDR4 | GTX 1060 SC 6 GB | 1 TB HDD | W10 x64 | 750W Thermaltake Toughpower | 1920x1080/1600x900 |
Huawei Mediapad M3

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
3 weeks ago#43
JonWood007 posted...

Anyway you want evidence of the nero thing? Here.

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/gladiators/nero.html

That's the same blog that DNB posted, so see post #10.

Also, to save time i took a screenshot of the study bible i used in college and their page on this, so enjoy. The source is from "the access bible", the older edition of it.

https://imgur.com/UDq3zTg

See post #19

DeadlyNinjaBees
3 weeks ago#44
OrangeWizard posted...
See post #19

Nah, dude! you're clearly not going in there and reading it all! I'm assumng because you don't want the information, as upon reading it in multiple places, you will doubt what you're taught. So let me make it clear: This is not 9/11 conspiracy babble; it's an interpretation of a coded way of speaking the people fo them time demonstratably used.
Here's the gist of the part you are not taking in:

On walls, written during the era, there are entire SENTENCES that have been uncovered that state the nuermical thing. In fact, there are ENTIRE articles - not pertaining to the 666 part - about this form of numerology that was practiced. It was a coded form of dissent and communciation. Unfortunately, you NEED to read it to understand it, acknowledge it, and accept the evidence available to you.

See, you are in the unenviable situation of being a relationship with "The Truth". One of the main reasons ex-JW's become atheists is because you can't accept one religion as the ultimate truth, leave it, and then find the same conviction. The reality is a lot of Christianity is a lore more "agile" to new information, where as the JW faith and their borg are in a rigid set of predetermined values that do not allow much wiggle room. As to do so would be to change "The Truth", meaning it can't have been true in it's previous format.
There were SO many things that I allowed myself to learn post borg life that answered things I prevented myself from thinking about in greater depth. That's the first liberation. The second is not having a dude listening into your thoughts and watching you masturbate.
Soi Disantra.

OrangeWizard
3 weeks ago#45
DeadlyNinjaBees posted...
Nah, dude! you're clearly not going in there and reading it all!

You're right. I'm not. Like Jon said, " this is an informal debate on a gaming website". If he can't be bothered to cite or quote the relevant section (which would probably end up being the same sentence you quoted) then I can't be bothered either.

demonstratably used.

Well nobody here has demonstrated that yet. The closest we've come is Wikipedia claiming that "it was used" without a citation.

DeadlyNinjaBees
3 weeks ago#46
But... you just said... that you didn't read the other link to an academically written article (even though it applied a standard referenes point at the end) just because you designated it a "blog".

A) That's not becoming informed, it's being willfully ignorant of information others have taken time to provide you

and

B) It's sign of either bigotry towards the information, or an emotional block simply preventing you from going through the info. Or both.

We can point you towards information, but can't learn it FOR you, you understand?
If you want, you can learn more to see where I - a human being that once held your EXACT beliefs - am coming from OR you be entirely unfair, promote "witnessing" (a form of forwarding information) expecting others to listen when you yourself will not.
Soi Disantra.

OrangeWizard
3 weeks ago#47
But... you just said... that you didn't read the other link to an academically written article (even though it applied a standard referenes point at the end) just because you designated it a "blog".

What do you mean "But"? I never said I didn't read it "just because I designated it a 'blog'".

We can point you towards information, but can't learn it FOR you, you understand?

Whenever you're ready to point me towards the information that shows that "the beast and the number 666 CLEARLY relates directly to Emperor Nero", go right ahead.

DeadlyNinjaBees
3 weeks ago#48
Okay, let's lay it out again. You can look this up yourself easily.

https://i.imgtc.ws/gIA43x2.png

There's an interpretation called Preterism that is a Christian scool of understanding that infers everything in Revelations has already occurred. That's a good place to start because it interfaces with your beliefs. Plus it's just an interpretation, so you can't be too offended by it.

More importantly, there's historical evidence towards this interpretation, including graffiti from the same time and before, that pre-dates the '666' part by using the the then Latin-Hebrew translation of the name "Ceaser Nero" and the phrase "Killed his mother". John of Patmos (or whoever he was) built on this with further numeric coding based on the same way of coding.

This is the Historical interpretation - and that's science, not religious. That's like how there are two Jesus's: "Christ of Christianity" (yours) and "Historical Jesus" (mine).
I know you don't think Wikipedia is a good source, but it is a good place to start and work from in order to formulate your own opinions and understanding. So please have a read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus

Another thing I feel is important for you to undertand is the "Scientific Method". It's integral to the understanding of how the natural world is understood. It's also how you get to use the internet.
It keeps cars on the on the road and planes in the sky. It has proven itself to be far more powerful and functional than just saying a prayer.
Soi Disantra.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

OrangeWizard
3 weeks ago#49
Okay, let's lay it out again. You can look this up yourself easily.

https://i.imgtc.ws/gIA43x2.png

See post #19.

This isn't evidence that Christians "demonstratably used" this technique to speak secretly about political figures. This just shows how it would be done using the same method, much like how FOX translates to 666 using digital roots.

John of Patmos (or whoever he was) built on this with further numeric coding based on the same way of coding.

Do you have any evidence to support this claim?

OrangeWizard
3 weeks ago#50
And another thing, assuming what you say is true, what's the process a contemporary reader would use to figure out that it refers to Nero?

Step 1. Read the Greek.
Step 2. Know that this section is a riddle
Step 3. Transliterate the Greek number into the Hebrew number
Step 4. ???
Step 5. Get the Hebrew name of Nero out of that.

What's step 4? After you transliterate the Greek number into Hebrew, how are you supposed to work backwards to get 200, 60, 100, 50, 6, 200, and 50 out of 666?

I suppose that if you already knew that Nero's code was 666 through some other means, you wouldn't have to work backwards. But do we have any evidence to support that? Have archaeologists found a reference to 666 ever being used in this way outside of the bible?

Or perhaps people just went down the list of political figures and added up their characters one by one until they found one that matched? These sums aren't unique, however, and multiple different people could end up having the same "number", so that method seems unreliable.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. The Book of Revelations: It's not relevant for the current age
  • Post New Message