This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How much have you refined your most recent religious perspective since you

User Info: Fingerpuppet

Fingerpuppet
4 weeks ago#81
Well, I decided that I wanted to join the military in some capacity when I was 19 and about to turn 20 (so 2014) and originally wanted to be a navy nuclear propulsion officer. But I realized that I wanted to kick in doors rather than sit on a boat over that summer and decided that I was going to join the army instead. But frankly, I wasn't ready for real college and I was unhappy with it so I enlisted midway through the fall semester and left the following January for basic. 72 credit hours and I went infantry, lol

And there was just no way I was going to get a meaningful degree while in. I'm not going to do some online diploma mill bulls*** (American Military University is a great example) and I wouldn't have the ability to do what I needed given the training requirements - you can't exactly take off in the middle of the day to go to the lab, and if you're in the field good luck getting out to take a test (I had to flip out on a guy to be with my wife when she was days away from giving birth). So yeah, I was enlisted the whole time. And it was pretty surreal my last year in taking orders from a guy who was my age but with less experience than my boots.

Frankly though, it was a great experience. The s***ty times were frequent and they sucked, but there are some hugely unique experiences that you can't get anywhere else. I can't speak for noncombat roles, but I had a great time carrying guns with my buddies through forests/swamps/deserts/mountains/etc. I don't think I'd take any of it back. And I'm also glad that I wasn't an officer. I saw how stupid s*** was when I became an NCO because it had to be that way; there was a lot of bulls*** that the joes would get shielded from that they never saw. Not to say that it couldn't have been better.

If my plan works out, I probably won't end up getting my degree for a while (and if I do it likely won't be STEM like I'd prefer). I want to work full time in the air national guard so that I can maintain my benefits and give my free college to my son. My dad had 36 years total in the military and 24 in the air guard and he's retiring on 4,500 a month without drawing from his TSP (an IRA for federal employees). Not bad for not having a degree.

Damn, I rambled a lot more than I thought I would.
The Army is a great experience. It sucks so bad that you can deal with literally anything else because it doesn't suck as much.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
4 weeks ago#82
You have a kid now? God damn, times have changed.
Islam is Chaos Control.

Fingerpuppet
4 weeks ago#83
Oh yeah. Little man is a perfect copy of me.
The Army is a great experience. It sucks so bad that you can deal with literally anything else because it doesn't suck as much.

User Info: LunaticCritic

LunaticCritic
4 weeks ago#84
Fingerpuppet posted...

If my plan works out, I probably won't end up getting my degree for a while (and if I do it likely won't be STEM like I'd prefer).

Wait, what's torpedoing the STEM idea?
Time to mix drinks and change lives.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension

User Info: JonWood007

JonWood007
4 weeks ago#85
So....the last couple days I've been trying to turn to probability to try to figure out exactly the odds of what happened happened. And....idk whether I can trust my calculations to be right. I won't divulge on here, but when i try adding up just the two major coincidences and treating them as independent events, I get 1 in 1.6 million. And when i add in other factors the number balloons into the 10 millions.

The thing is...i don't know if that is a good way. I mean is the right way here to treat each event as an individual event separate from the others and then just multiply until i get crazy numbers? Idk, it seems too easy. I feel like im doing something wrong or overlooking things in doing that but i can't figure out my error here. Like if the odds of event 1 happening are 1 in 9500, the odds of event 2 happening are 1 in 168, the odds of yet another event happening being like 1 in 50, another one being 1 in 25, is it okay just keep multiplying?

Is it possible I'm just kinda doing the weird crap christians do with omg the odds of this happening by chance are 1 in 10 to the 57th power or something? Like sure you can multiply it up like that but it doesnt mean anything given enough time has passed, or the law of large numbers coming into play?

Idk, I'm just trying to put a number on these coincidences so i can honestly assess the odds of this happening by chance. Because while it could've gone that way maybe it could've gone a completely different way with similar results. Maybe some of those factors arent necessarily even relevant and i just interpret them as synchronicities as a cognitive bias. Still even the two big ones seem to give me like....over 1 in a million when combined.
i7 7700k | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | 16GB EVGA DDR4 | GTX 1060 SC 6 GB | 1 TB HDD | W10 x64 | 750W Thermaltake Toughpower | 1920x1080/1600x900 |
Huawei Mediapad M3

User Info: JonWood007

JonWood007
4 weeks ago#86
Aaaand I just read a whole book on probability in the past day. Already took a stats class on this stuff so my opinion hasn't shifted a lot, but it does cause me to slightly refine stuff. A few conclusions I've drawn.

1) while it's possible this is a false random pattern I do not believe my experience is particularly fallacious in terms of statistical reasoning. Like this is a bona fide "weird ****" situation imo. Still arguably falls under the law of large numbers and could be coincidence, but it falls outside of statistical norms to a degree it's not unreasonable to think something is there imo. Like it's "synchronicity" in it's truest form.

2) if this is a random coincidence I am extremely unlucky and inadvertently created one heck of a butterfly effect I couldn't have possibly predicted. I also could not have known what I was doing at the time. The book focuses heavily on how random our lives truly are in that sense in it's conclusion. Weird crap. Probability can make and break people. No rhyme or reason to it.
i7 7700k | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | 16GB EVGA DDR4 | GTX 1060 SC 6 GB | 1 TB HDD | W10 x64 | 750W Thermaltake Toughpower | 1920x1080/1600x900 |
Huawei Mediapad M3

Fingerpuppet
4 weeks ago#87
LunaticCritic posted...
Fingerpuppet posted...

If my plan works out, I probably won't end up getting my degree for a while (and if I do it likely won't be STEM like I'd prefer).

Wait, what's torpedoing the STEM idea?

I gotta pay the bills for little man first and foremost, and a research job (what I'd like) wouldn't do that. Duty > desire

User Info: LunaticCritic

LunaticCritic
4 weeks ago#88
Ah.
I mean, you could do stuff like working in a service lab or hospitals as a lab technician. It pays decently well.
Time to mix drinks and change lives.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension

User Info: Asherlee10

Asherlee10
4 weeks ago#89
Or get into tech.

I make a very comfortable living in the tech industry and get to work from home 100% of the time, on top of that.
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."

Fingerpuppet
4 weeks ago#90
Don't forget part b though: little man is gonna go to college too. I can do just fine without it and I'll trade the prestige/pay for stability. You can't get fired in the military unless you commit a felony.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How much have you refined your most recent religious perspective since you
  • Post New Message