This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do you believe that Luke's Gospel is the most chronologically accurate?

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#1
A few years ago, I set out to combine the Gospels into one narrative. Why? Because there are certain details that are included in some of the accounts that are omitted in others (i.e., the name of the blind beggar), and I was fearful of falling into the trap of remembering only part of what Jesus said/did during any event/sermon.

I was about 90% complete when I gave up the project, but now I'm thinking about starting again.

My question is this: If you were setting out to do this task, would you use Luke's Gospel as the backbone, chronologically? As far as I recall, he is the only one who sets out to write an "orderly" account, and thus it would make sense that I use him as the backbone.

What do you think?
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: DaveTheUseless

DaveTheUseless
1 month ago#2
If any, Mark.
www.youtube.com/davetheuseless Creepypasta Channel.
twitter.com/davetheuseless DaveTheUseless Loves You.

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#3
DaveTheUseless posted...
If any, Mark.

Why do you think that?
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: LunaticCritic

LunaticCritic
1 month ago#4
I'd assume because it's the most "to the point" of the Gospels.
The user formerly known as crazygamer999.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
1 month ago#5
And it's also the earliest written one

Then again, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the most accurate, but this is mostly guesswork anyhow since you know, none of us was actually there and there aren't a whole lot of accounts of that period - why would there be?
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: TurtleInFreedom

TurtleInFreedom
1 month ago#6
There's already been attempts to combine the gospel into one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatessaron

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#7
TurtleInFreedom posted...
There's already been attempts to combine the gospel into one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatessaron

Thanks for this. I was aware of this, but actually set out to do it without outside influence, because I want to see if it can be done objectively (without jumping through loops).

Most of my bible study is as independent as possible, since early on in my faith journey, I realized that my thoughts were being colored by apologetics.

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#8
SSj4Wingzero posted...
And it's also the earliest written one

Then again, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the most accurate, but this is mostly guesswork anyhow since you know, none of us was actually there and there aren't a whole lot of accounts of that period - why would there be?

I understand that point, but also think that something must be said of Luke's "prologue," in that it specifically makes reference to previous accounts and the author's desire to put together an orderly account.

User Info: actarus

actarus
1 month ago#9
IAn example of Gospel harmony or Chronological gospels in one is from Andre Dellerba
"HOLY GOSPELS IN ONE 2018 by Andre Dellerba"

"The unique colour coding enables cross referencing of each word or phrase from Matthew (Blue), Mark (Green), Luke (Red) and John (Purple). If there is a common sentence in the Gospels then that sentence which is most complete is used. If another Gospel has a word or phrase which is unique, then that word or phrase is added to that sentence. For example, Luke 23:25b; John 19:16; Matthew 27:31; and Mark 15:20: "

In my translation are the topic-titles the same if the event is the same:
But keep in your mind that there are similar events:
Sermon on the Mount by Matthew Vs Sermon on the Plain (plateau) by Luke
First cleansing of the Temple in John 2 Vs Cleansing of the Temple by the other Gospels

There is also harmony from Galvin for e-Sword PC

Using your example of the blind beggar (Mat 20:29-34 Mark 10:46-52 Luke 18:35-43)
How do you think that you can synchronise it into one text?
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#10
actarus posted...
IAn example of Gospel harmony or Chronological gospels in one is from Andre Dellerba
"HOLY GOSPELS IN ONE 2018 by Andre Dellerba"

"The unique colour coding enables cross referencing of each word or phrase from Matthew (Blue), Mark (Green), Luke (Red) and John (Purple). If there is a common sentence in the Gospels then that sentence which is most complete is used. If another Gospel has a word or phrase which is unique, then that word or phrase is added to that sentence. For example, Luke 23:25b; John 19:16; Matthew 27:31; and Mark 15:20: "

In my translation are the topic-titles the same if the event is the same:
But keep in your mind that there are similar events:
Sermon on the Mount by Matthew Vs Sermon on the Plain (plateau) by Luke
First cleansing of the Temple in John 2 Vs Cleansing of the Temple by the other Gospels

There is also harmony from Galvin for e-Sword PC

Using your example of the blind beggar (Mat 20:29-34 Mark 10:46-52 Luke 18:35-43)
How do you think that you can synchronise it into one text?

Keep in mind that I'm looking at my file from 2016 for the first time.

First to note, I actually have from/to Jericho highlighted as an unresolved conflict (were they heading to Jericho, or leaving it?). On that note, I don't know if I buy into the theory that there were two Jerichos, and am unsure whether or not I'm willing to accept that one of the writers got it "wrong."

That being said, the way I synchronized the one/two blind men difference is as follows:

"And as He was leaving/drawing near to Jericho with His disciples (and a great crowd following behind them), there were two blind men sitting by the roadsite, one of which who was Bartimaeus ("the son of Timaeus"), a blind beggar."

==========

In general, where there are number differences (i.e., how many blind men; how many guys in the tomb of Jesus on Sunday morning, etc.), I go with the one that doesn't exclude the other.

For some reason Matthew tells us that there two blind men in this story, and rather than going with "he got it wrong, because Luke/Mark only mention one!," I prefer to keep all their words and reconcile the differences, if possible.

=========

In this example, it is reasonable, for me, to think that there were two men, but that only one of them was known by the authors.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do you believe that Luke's Gospel is the most chronologically accurate?
  • Post New Message