This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Our Priorities Are Off When Family Is More Important Than Church (article)

User Info: TheOrgyPorgy

TheOrgyPorgy
4 weeks ago#1
https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2016/august-web-only/if-our-families-are-more-important-than-our-churches-we-nee.html

Excerpt:

Most of us prioritize our commitment to family above our commitment to the church. This is unfortunate, because the Bible offers us a different set of relational priorities.
Radiohead

User Info: Gndlf_the_grey

Gndlf_the_grey
4 weeks ago#2
Paul's thoughts on marriage:

1 Cor 7: 27 If you are married, don’t get a divorce. If you are divorced, don’t try to find a spouse. 28 But if you do marry, you haven’t sinned; and if someone who hasn’t been married gets married, they haven’t sinned. But married people will have a hard time, and I’m trying to spare you that.

1 Cor 7: 32 I want you to be free from concerns. A man who isn’t married is concerned about the Lord’s concerns—how he can please the Lord. 33 But a married man is concerned about the world’s concerns—how he can please his wife. 34 His attention is divided. A woman who isn’t married or who is a virgin is concerned about the Lord’s concerns so that she can be dedicated to God in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the world’s concerns—how she can please her husband. 35 I’m saying this for your own advantage. It’s not to restrict you but rather to promote effective and consistent service to the Lord without distraction.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

User Info: darklao

darklao
4 weeks ago#3
Putting ideology above people is Evil 101.

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
4 weeks ago#4
While I agree with this general sentiment, Christians hold a unique perspective.

I believe that by putting God first, it is best for the people in my life. The best way to describe this phenomenon is: "The one who loses his life for my sake will find it."

I had to go off into "La La Land" as the first weirdo in the family, by following God and dedicating my speech/life to Him. And that involved putting the invisible above the tangible. Turns out what Jesus claimed is true.

After a season, others joined in, and we're no longer a family of chronic depression and anxiety.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
4 weeks ago#5
darklao:

Christianity isn't an ideology.

gg
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my awesome teams.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
4 weeks ago#6
Yes it is.
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
4 weeks ago#7
WelshGamer82 posted...
Yes it is.

How so?

User Info: the_hedonist

the_hedonist
4 weeks ago#8
Putting God first does not mean bringing people down. Though God is more important than anyone or anything, he enables me to bring people up.

Without God, I wouldn’t know to love my neighbor as myself. Without God, I wouldn’t have the supreme example of love in the cross. Without God, I would be dead in the selfishness of my sin. Without God, I would be powerless to enact change in my life.

I’m called to take up my cross and follow Jesus. That means that I’ve gotta love others so much that I’d be willing to die. That’s a lot more than American culture is asking of me. Society want me to be nice. To be polite. Nothing wrong with that, but the love of God is radical and sacrificial, and at the end of the day, it’s way more than cultural niceness.
'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, just to take him at his word.
Just to rest upon his promise, just to know, "Thus saith the Lord."

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
4 weeks ago#9
PokemonExpert44 posted...
How so?

Through the process of examining the definitions of words.
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.
WelshGamer82 posted...
PokemonExpert44 posted...
How so?

Through the process of examining the definitions of words.

A relationship with Jesus is not an ideology.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Our Priorities Are Off When Family Is More Important Than Church (article)