This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Howard Storm's Near Death Experience

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#21
The thing about Wikipedia is that they are, by and large, very very accurate these days. It's been proven out that it's more accurate than any other encyclopedia you'd care to point at. The whole 'don't link to Wikipedia' thing died out quite a while ago, and most schools now encourage using it as a starting point for projects and research.

Of course, and the Wikipedia community will be the very first to tell you this, it's only a tertiary source, which means it's only as good as it's citations on whatever subject you're referencing. In this case, the article in question has a healthy revision history and seems well sourced enough.

So yea, the 'don't link to wiki' criticism is kind of a hollow one here.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: Gndlf_the_grey

Gndlf_the_grey
1 month ago#22
Basically what this term means to me: Being near death, but not actually dead. Clinically still alive then.
I've heard stories of people that were clinically dead, heart stopped etc. had some after-life experiences, came back and still get it termed as NDE. Which does not make a whole lot of sense?

Even though I believe some of these experiences are legit, specifics about this particular NDE does not "sound" right.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

User Info: darklao

darklao
1 month ago#23
Myep. There it is:

So it was at the moment of deepest despair that a tune from my childhood, when I had gone to Sunday School, started going through my head.

This is just a miserable person, near to death, grasping on to the ideas planted in him in his youth.

I mean, I'm glad he turned his life around and stopped being an assbag, but in terms of actually being evidence of anything particular after/near death, there's nothing conclusive here.

Also it's interesting because when he talks about Marxists, he admits that he genuinely believed that they were going to create a world of peace and happiness and love--and he rolls his eyes--but at some point he must have been aware that there was another way to live that would give him meaning and purpose, and it wasn't necessarily tied to religion. In other words, while he was living miserably, cynically, he at least subconciously believed that he could be doing better things. There was a kind of self-criticism there, even as he professed cynicism and the meaninglessness of life.

Also, I don't have any reason to believe he's lying, but if his take away from existentialism was a kind of hedonistic nihilism, he didn't really understand existentialism--whether that was his own failing or a failing on the part of his teachers, I can't say and it probably doesn't matter.

In any case we have a man who was miserable, who found life meaningless, but who desired meaning, and believed it was possible for both him and the world to be better. In a time of crisis, he returned to the teachings of his early childhood.

I mean, this is all well and good, but if he went back to the other place in his life he thought he'd found a way to be good, and realized he should become a Marxist hippie and try to make a better world (treat people decently, etc.), people would be filing this as a kind of death-bed epiphany and not reflective of some actual external reality.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Howard Storm's Near Death Experience