This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Mormon Church announce raising the cost to 12k for serving a 2 year mission

User Info: Yao

Yao
1 month ago#1
The Mormon church recently announced that they will be increasing the cost of serving a 2 year mission to $12,000 in 2020.

A while back, it was leaked that the church owns at least 32 billion dollars worth of assets in the stock market.

That 32 billion is merely their stock portfolio that we know of... it does not include other assets such as property, and the Mormon Church also owns the largest cattle ranch in the state of Florida.

The mormon Church also built a huge, luxury mall in salt lake city.

You'd think that a church that has 32 billion to blow on the stock market wouldn't charge teenagers $12,000 to give up 2 years of their life to "serve" the church.

But, here we are!
\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#2
I'd like a link to this because I wanna read further.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: lucidsun22

lucidsun22
1 month ago#3
LinkFanatic posted...
I'd like a link to this because I wanna read further.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/06/27/serving-mission-lds/

User Info: darklao

darklao
1 month ago#4
They charge them?

Jesus.

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#5
"But concerning the apostles and prophets, act according to the decree of the Gospel. Let every apostle who comes to you be received as the Lord. But he shall not remain more than one day; or two days, if there's a need. But if he remains three days, he is a false prophet. And when the apostle goes away, let him take nothing but bread until he lodges. If he asks for money, he is a false prophet."

"But whoever says in the Spirit, Give me money, or something else, you shall not listen to him. But if he tells you to give for others' sake who are in need, let no one judge him."

- The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles (one of the earliest attestations to the methods of the early followers of Jesus)

==============

Now, I'm not prepared to call every church that takes an offering a gaggle of false prophets, but...this has always been my view.

There is something off-putting about men/women of God asking for exorbitant amounts of money.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: zinformant

zinformant
1 month ago#6
YHWH_Saves posted...
There is something off-putting about men/women of God asking for exorbitant amounts of money.

Yet, there are costs associated with doing missional work much like the operating costs of larger congregations in general. If one considers the price of, say, summer camp, this isn't especially egregious by comparison.
Is it naive to dream of a world without war?

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#7
zinformant posted...
YHWH_Saves posted...

Yet, there are costs associated with doing missional work much like the operating costs of larger congregations in general. If one considers the price of, say, summer camp, this isn't especially egregious by comparison.

Admittedly, I was commenting in generalities.

$12,000 isn't a large sum of money for 2 years of potential associated costs of doing ministry abroad.

==========

That being said, from experience, I think it's possible to do ministry work out-of-pocket or cost-neutral. But we're probably approaching things from two different places. I'm thinking more along the lines of the preachers who count filled chairs, who have large production values and cost/marketing teams who gauge church "profitability."
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Mormon Church announce raising the cost to 12k for serving a 2 year mission