This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. New research claims atheists believe in the Supernatural despite rejecting God.

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
5 months ago#1
Atheists, agnostics, and other non-believers are among the most disliked, untrusted, and misunderstood people in our society. Most Americans wouldn't vote for a qualified atheist if they ran for president. Many parents hope their child doesn't marry one. Most atheists in the United States have a story about coming out to somebody who then either accused them of being a Satanist or was utterly unable to comprehend what an atheist was.

To get a better idea of what non-believers of all stripes are actually like and to try to correct for the above facts, the U.K.-based Understanding Unbelief Project has released the Understanding Unbelief white sheet. A study of "unbelievers" in six countries on four continents, the report covers topics such as how confident people are in their beliefs compared to theists in the same country, how they choose to identify themselves, and what they value.

Perhaps more interesting, though, is the section of the completed report that indicates, despite their skepticism on the subject of God, many unbelievers still hold superstitious beliefs.

https://imgtc.ws/i/ZfdbB2T.png

As you can see in the above graph, up to a third of self-declared atheists in China believe in astrology. A quarter of Brazilian atheists believe in reincarnation, and a similar number of their Danish counterparts think some people have magical powers.

Agnostics were more likely to believe in supernatural phenomena than atheists across the board. Notice how the graphs have similar patterns but with different point values.

https://imgtc.ws/i/bcGzlm7.png

The general population, however, continues to believe in these phenomena at a much higher rate than non-believers.

https://imgtc.ws/i/LEozfTf.png

The study also found that non-believers are not all nihilistic, moral relativists, or unable to appreciate the inherent value of the world around them. While this isn't news to atheists, it will be news to many people who think them incapable of having a robust moral system, an appreciation for nature, or a sense of meaning in life.

Physicist Michio Kaku suggested that a tendency toward magical thinking could be inherent to the human mind:

"We still have Flat Earthers, we have people that don't believe in vaccinations, and what do we do about it? Well, first of all, I think there's a gene. I think there's a gene for superstition, a gene for hearsay, a gene for magic, a gene for magical thinking. And I think that, when we were in the forest, that gene actually helped us. Because 9 times out of 10, that gene was wrong. Superstition didn't work. But 1 time out of 10, it saved your butt. That's why the gene is still here, the gene for superstition and magic. Now, there's no gene for science. Science is based on things that are reproducible, testable -- it's a long process, the scientific method. It's not part of our natural thinking. It's an acquired taste, just like broccoli."

If Kaku is correct, then non-believers would be just as pre-disposed to superstitious thought as everybody else.

The data suggests this is the case. Despite their claims to the contrary, non-believers — many, at least — are not any more rational or scientific than the rest of the population, and can easily fall for the same logical fallacies everybody else does. Given this, it makes sense that somebody who is sure there is no invisible man in the sky is still somewhat convinced by the idea of Karma; anybody can use the post hoc fallacy.

Full ARticle: https://bigthink.com/culture-religion/atheist-supernatural
https://imgtc.ws/i/UHGwMrz.jpg

I like idea of using "No wait we believe in stupid s*** too! Just like you!" as a tool to make friends with the religious.

I mean If I was religious, I'd take that as a slight rather than kinship.
^ Hey now that's completely woke!
https://imgtc.com/i/bHqCLJF.png https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
5 months ago#2
It's also worth noting that the belief in Supernatural, generally, demands less extrodinary evidence then God.

You could also tie in basic survival instinct as well. God isn't neccesary for human survival but the notion of the supernatural or ghosts may create a means for people to believe they can survive death.
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

User Info: zinformant

zinformant
4 months ago#3
UnfairRepresent posted...
Well, first of all, I think there's a gene. I think there's a gene for superstition, a gene for hearsay, a gene for magic, a gene for magical thinking. And I think that, when we were in the forest, that gene actually helped us. Because 9 times out of 10, that gene was wrong. Superstition didn't work. But 1 time out of 10, it saved your butt. That's why the gene is still here, the gene for superstition and magic.

This is magical thinking, itself. If there is a biological basis for superstition, the genetic underpinning must be identified to have any merit. The idea is absurd, anyway, as there are numerous underlying causes of irrationality for different scenarios, disciplines, and contexts such that this type of reductionism is useless. There are, certainly, ways to mitigate so-called magical thinking (like education), though the extent to which those tenets are applied and internalized vary wildly, not unlike religious beliefs, themselves.
Is it naive to dream of a world without war?

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#4
I don't. The supernatural is a completely nebulous concept that is entirely unfalsifiable. I'll probably never believe it again.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: darklao

darklao
4 months ago#5
I think there's a gene for superstition, a gene for hearsay, a gene for magic, a gene for magical thinking. And I think that, when we were in the forest, that gene actually helped us. Because 9 times out of 10, that gene was wrong. Superstition didn't work. But 1 time out of 10, it saved your butt.

Nah, I read a thing about this recently. Humans are predisposed to hyper mimicry, which is like when you repeat something with the useless steps included, whereas other primates are more likely to just cut out the extra steps. They think it was survival suited for like processing new plants for food or something, where leaving out a seemingly unnecessary step would cause the plant to be inedible or toxic or whatever. So "superstition" doesn't ever save your butt. It's the hyper mimicry which saves your butt, and superstition is just post hoc justification for the compulsion to keep in steps that are not obviously/understandably necessary.

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
4 months ago#6
LinkFanatic posted...
I don't. The supernatural is a completely nebulous concept that is entirely unfalsifiable. I'll probably never believe it again.

lol

Belief in the supernatural is 100% rational.
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my awesome teams.

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
4 months ago#7
"Rational" isn't an antonym of "unfalsifiable".
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.

PokemonExpert44
4 months ago#8
WelshGamer82 posted...
"Rational" isn't an antonym of "unfalsifiable".

LinkFanatic said that belief in the supernatural is nebulous. It isn't.

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
4 months ago#9
Yeah, but you said that you're not a troll, but you are, so how can we take any of the crap that comes out of your keyboard seriously?

Answer: We can't.
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.

PokemonExpert44
4 months ago#10
WelshGamer82 posted...
Yeah, but you said that you're not a troll, but you are, so how can we take any of the crap that comes out of your keyboard seriously?

Answer: We can't.

How am I a troll for pointing out flawed logic?

Also, the belief in the supernatural is very falsifiable.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. New research claims atheists believe in the Supernatural despite rejecting God.
  • Topic Archived