This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Okay, THAT was a new one...(Fundamentalist source?)

User Info: Kenji_Kotaro

Kenji_Kotaro
1 month ago#11
Sorry, by “legends” I meant things more along the lines of pop culture and fiction. Like Dai Zhong’s ability to travel at super speed with charms and a vegetarian diet or any generic “Asian magic” in Western media.
I'm an official member of the Groucho Marxist political party: The whole damn system is a joke and so are we!
Vote Rufus T Firefly 2020! Hail Hail Freedonia!
Kenji_Kotaro posted...
Sorry, by “legends” I meant things more along the lines of pop culture and fiction. Like Dai Zhong’s ability to travel at super speed with charms and a vegetarian diet or any generic “Asian magic” in Western media.

Are you serious?

If so...hahahahaha
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my awesome teams.

User Info: Kenji_Kotaro

Kenji_Kotaro
1 month ago#13
PokemonExpert44 posted...
Kenji_Kotaro posted...

Are you serious?

If so...hahahahaha

I’m guessing you’re referring to Dai Zhong. If so, he’s from Shui Hu Zhusn by Shi Nai’an and Luo Guanzhong-The Suikoden games are loosely based on it. Dai Zhong has a special pair of charms for each leg that let him travel vast distances in a short time...Exceot he can’t eat meat for something like three days before using them or while traveling.

Also, he and another person can move at half speed if he shares one of the charms (not sure if the other person has any dietary restrictions or not).

The novel is like Three Kingdoms, loosely based on real events/people...Except SHZ is based in the Song Dynasty versus the Han. And it’s about rogues and bandits instead of noble gentlemen/generals (Lu “GROIN KICK! HYAH!” Da is a good example of how different these characters are).
I'm an official member of the Groucho Marxist political party: The whole damn system is a joke and so are we!
Vote Rufus T Firefly 2020! Hail Hail Freedonia!

User Info: darklao

darklao
1 month ago#14
There is a similar Western story about 7-league boots, iirc.

User Info: PurpleLizard

PurpleLizard
3 weeks ago#15
Kenji_Kotaro posted...

Again, similar "legends" exist in the traditional corpus and theology of Taoism as well as in popular culture. The former inspired the latter, not the other way around. Laozi, the founder of Taoism, for instance, was conceived by virgin birth when his mother glimpsed a falling star, and spent an entire human lifetime in her womb before finally being birthed as an elderly, white-bearded man. If anything, I'd say Western media distorts traditional Chinese philosophies by taking the magic OUT (see, for instance, atheistic/non-religious "Buddhists" in the West who selectively quote from Chinese authors who themselves were highly engrossed in the supernatural and magical).
1994-0244-1993
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Okay, THAT was a new one...(Fundamentalist source?)