This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What is Mario's religious affiliation? Please support your argument.

User Info: Frolfer

Frolfer
1 month ago#1
Anyone care to make a case as to the religion of Nintendo's Mario? There doesn't seem to be much else happening here on the Religion board. Be creative, and provide evidence. I'll even come up with a (dinky) prize for the best argument.
Wimoweh!

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#2
Mario is probably based on the fact that he hasn't been exposed to any gods before, but it also seems like he'd believe in the existence of the supernatural. You know, given Boos and all...
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#3
He seems to be a radicalized working-class royalist, willing to die and kill for the crown against the foreign, chelonian, invaders.

Does it count if you worship a person, or at least a political ideal?

User Info: darklao

darklao
1 month ago#4
Pre-Reformation Catholic.

He collects coins to give to the church to receive indulgences that grant him eternal life.

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
1 month ago#5
darklao posted...

He collects coins to give to the church to receive indulgences that grant him eternal life.

I mean, it *is* an Italian name...
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: Iwantedzero

Iwantedzero
1 month ago#6
I don't know the current lore, but originally he was an Italian-American who lived in Brooklyn, New York. So most likely he was Catholic at the time.

Same as Little Mac I would assume, who is also (most likely*) Italian and grew up in the Bronx, which in the 1970s and 80s had a large Italian catholic population if I remember my American geography.

Of course, Yoshi's Island claimed that Mario was brought by the stork (and presumably not to Brooklyn) so who really knows at this point. A Mario who grew up within the Mushroom Kingdom would probably worship the Star Spirits. Are they cannon in the main universe or only the paper series? I don't know anymore.

(* Little mac's ethnicity is never stated directly, but his skin tone is fairly tan in most recent appearances, he's from the Italian dominated 1970s Bronx, and in a live action commercial he was portrayed by Paul Malignaggi, an Italian. So while it's not explicit, there's significant evidence to make a claim that Mac is probably from an Italian family.)
Please, fill out this form.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/feedback?type=38

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#7
LinkFanatic posted...
Mario is probably based on the fact that he hasn't been exposed to any gods before, but it also seems like he'd believe in the existence of the supernatural. You know, given Boos and all...

probably atheist* >_>
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
1 month ago#8
Iwantedzero posted...
I don't know the current lore

Yoshi's Island establishes that the Mario Bros are in fact natives of the Mushroom Kingdom (or at least, the same world in which the MK exists).

So little is known about the religion/s of the Mushroom Kingdom that it is irresponsible to even speculate.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: darklao

darklao
1 month ago#9
In the Japanese version of Mario Party, Mario, Luigi and Wario all say, "Oh my God!" So clearly there is some theistic religion about, even if the phrase is not meant literally but as a cultural expression of dismay.

Also Mario is in the same universe as Palutena via Smash Ultimate so we know he is aware of (and probably believes in the existence of) at least one Goddess. Therefore not atheist.

User Info: zinformant

zinformant
1 month ago#10
darklao posted...

This is perfect.
Is it naive to dream of a world without war?
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What is Mario's religious affiliation? Please support your argument.