This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Question for religious people who used to be atheists...

User Info: rockoperajon

rockoperajon
1 month ago#1
If you're currently religious, but used to be an atheist, I'm curious, what made you change your mind?
"We few... We happy few..." -William Shakespeare
"We band of buggered." -William the Bloody

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#2
Disclaimer: I've never been an atheist. But I was vehemently anti-Christian.

I'm now a Jesus doormat because of the radical/immediate evidences given to me once I turned an ear to His word.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".
YHWH_Saves posted...

I'm now a Jesus doormat because of the radical/immediate evidences given to me once I turned an ear to His word.

Which were?
"The US military is not an effective proxy for humanity" ~ Folding Ideas
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
1 month ago#4
the final bahamut posted...
YHWH_Saves posted...

Which were?

The Bible.
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my awesome teams.

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
1 month ago#5
Probably not the type of person you're addressing, but I am a pretty lousy Buddhist, but I also still consider myself an atheist, as I don't believe in any gods.

I felt like just "atheist" doesn't sufficiently describe anything that I believe beyond not believing in gods. I ended up feeling like I am a Buddhist after reading and sitting with the practice for some time.

I haven't formally taken the precepts yet though, so maybe a "real" Buddhist would say I am not one.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: Phewfus

Phewfus
1 month ago#6
I was more agnostic than atheist growing up, but I would say the insistence of subjective morality by many in the skeptic community circa 2010-ish was the turning point for me.

User Info: CommanderSufian

CommanderSufian
1 month ago#7
there is an "ex atheist" subreddit on reddit if you're interested. its kinda uncommon (though not super rare) to find an ex atheist.
This is Iwasapoetonce

User Info: lincoln002

lincoln002
1 month ago#8
I went through a period of spiritual enlightenment where I philosophized intensely about everything which lead me to a cultish church where I learned a lot of powerful Bible verses which then lead me down a matrix-eduque rabbit hole that made me realize the world isnt what we're told it is and how it works. I've also experienced a lot of supernatural phenomenon during that period of time.
https://tinyurl.com/y8nh4ach

User Info: the_hedonist

the_hedonist
1 month ago#9
YHWH_Saves posted...

What were you religious beliefs before you became a Christian?
'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, just to take him at his word.
Just to rest upon his promise, just to know, "Thus saith the Lord."

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#10
the_hedonist posted...
YHWH_Saves posted...

What were you religious beliefs before you became a Christian?

I always believed in God ("higher power"), because it was very "common sense" to me that there was one.
I believed that Jesus was cool, but that I didn't need him. "Just be good," was my philosophy. I was obsessed with Socrates/Plato.

I didn't like the church I was raised in, because the people seemed to look down on my family because we were obviously poor (not dressed nice; always late; asian). I hated the fact that so much attention was given to the Catholic rituals, and how static the mass always went. I grew up to hate hypocrisy.

============

On the other side, I hated how all these "Christian" girls would try to give me the Jesus formula ("believe and be saved") while in middle/high school, JUST BECAUSE I had long hair and wore band T-shirts. It never sounded appealing, and everyone was so darned judgmental. It was all very superficial and empty, because I had always thought myself to be the sort of dude to take a bullet for others, and I was somehow not good enough by my appearance alone. I remember even seeing one of the girls at a party being held by a mutual friend...over a water bong, stoned out of her mind...haha.

============

In a way, I haven't changed much. The Jesus I eventually fell in love with is very similar to the person I had become independently. I love what is good, hate what is bad. I hate hypocrisy and rituals.

(I have rekindled a love for the Catholic church, though).
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Question for religious people who used to be atheists...