This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Anyone else find it more difficult to be a Christian in America...

User Info: Vikingar

Vikingar
1 month ago#31
OrangeWizard posted...
Exodus 22:2,3 is pretty much a law about this exact scenario.

The verse in Exodus refers to a thief and protection of property, not people
Exodus 22:2 “If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed
This is obviously why we have insurance to replace stolen property and most burglaries will happen when you are not at home, which is fine.

Gndlf_the_grey posted...
He is there to either do one or all of the next: 1.Rob you, 2.rape your wife or children, 3.murder you and your family afterwards.

I've got no issues with number 1, I won't kill or fend off someone just because they want to take my TV, but 2 will only happen if I am dead, and that ties in with 3.
So if someone wants to steal my stuff, do it when we are not at home, otherwise I will by my own discretion treat them as rapist/murderers. Those guys come armed, either with a knife or gun.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#32
Vikingar posted...
Exodus 22:2 “If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed
This is obviously why we have insurance to replace stolen property and most burglaries will happen when you are not at home, which is fine.

And how is the thief identified? Is he wearing a name tag? Was he asked for his name and occupation?

User Info: Vikingar

Vikingar
1 month ago#33
OrangeWizard posted...
Vikingar posted...

And how is the thief identified? Is he wearing a name tag? Was he asked for his name and occupation?

Probably not, the reason why the home owner would not be guilty of blood shed at night is possibly because:
There was no electricity and the lamps were put out for safety purposes. He therefore could not determine if the person was carrying a sword (weapon of the day) and acted out of surprise, possibly dealing a fatal blow.
During day time, he would be awake and could see the intruder, apparent lack of or carrying of a weapon.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#34
Yeah, that's my point.

I'm not saying that one is justified in using lethal force to kill another in order to protect one's property, only that the scenario here is very similar to what was brought up

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#35
iwasapoetonce posted...
There's got to be some balance to this. Even in Christianity, a religion that focuses on these tenets 100% of the time cannot exist. It's not practical. Of course, things happen by God's will. People have to make money to live. Turning the other cheek all the time may result in a very bad situation.

I disagree.

Not only do I believe in the most radical interpretations of peace in the words of Jesus, but I believe that it works. The "balance" you seek is the peace that Christ taught. For example, the way that a violent situation is quelled is not with more violence, but with love (which enacts this "balance" you speak of). Because American Christianity shares so much in common with Temple Judaism of the Roman Empire, Jesus' teachings are more applicable to everyday living than we might initially expect.

Most human conflict is about material gain, at the perceived unfair cost to the "other." If a human being therefore does not place any value on his material possessions, then it is very difficult to instigate violence by taking his stuff.

Imagine for a moment, if you can, that Israel's manifest destiny of "inheriting the land" was squashed in favor of an open, shared land with the current inhabitants. No fear. No anxiety if that guy starts building a house. It is because of the attachment to material possession that an otherwise common sense resolution cannot be enacted.

Imagine if cutthroat business ethics weren't enabled by profitability goals, and everyone enjoyed a fair living wage for working to contribute to the whole. Instead of worrying about meeting profit goals at the cost of harming people, corporate leaders could be great instruments of life improvement.

Most of Christianity's bad rap comes directly from the violations of Christ's teachings by the Western Christian empire. War, church scandal, the love of money, and so on.

Christianity is far more practical than a hippy's pipedream. It works. It's just never seen, because it is "narrow" and "difficult."

Love is the balance to the world's manufactured hatred between the earth's tribes.

===================
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Anyone else find it more difficult to be a Christian in America...