This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Limits to religious freedom

User Info: PurpleLizard

PurpleLizard
1 month ago#1
What limits, if any, should there be on expressions of religious freedom? My personal stance is that, for instance, standards of medical care and educational attainment for minors shouldn't vary depending on religious denomination (as they sometimes can in certain jurisdictions in the case of, say, parents who follow Christian Science), nor should any illegal act be made legal just for the reason that it's mandatory in a religion. In other words, while I obviously don't support discrimination against specific religious groups, I also don't support making exceptions to the general law for the sake of a specific religious group.

I believe that the issue of banning, say, hijabs wouldn't fall under what I'm saying. If there was a valid reason to universally ban the hijab, then I agree someone's Islamic practice shouldn't necessarily be a factor, but the argument that people - Muslim or non-Muslim, men or women - should be banned from wearing headscarves is baseless.
1994-0244-1993

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#2
It should only be limited when it harms other people, so I guess legislatively since harm is more broad than that.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: darklao

darklao
1 month ago#3
Pfft hijabs.

You gotta get into the meat of this thing. Should parents be able to deny their children doctor-prescribed medicine/medical procedures based on religious/other strongly held unscientific beliefs.

Like blood transfusions, and vaccinations.

Discuss.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#4
darklao posted...
Pfft hijabs.

You gotta get into the meat of this thing. Should parents be able to deny their children doctor-prescribed medicine/medical procedures based on religious/other strongly held unscientific beliefs.

Like blood transfusions, and vaccinations.

Discuss.

nop
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: iwasapoetonce

iwasapoetonce
1 month ago#5
Are you Muslim Purple Lizard?

If So, Assalamulaikum. Malay Muslim here. I used to go to the Prince of Persia boards, but they're dead.
I need a bit of help lads with some rushes ya know like helix rush n tech spam, do you lot know anymore?/v316/samuraifaith/mad.jpg

User Info: iwasapoetonce

iwasapoetonce
1 month ago#6
Clarification:

THe board is dead. Not hte people who used to post there. Well, not that i know of anyway.
I need a bit of help lads with some rushes ya know like helix rush n tech spam, do you lot know anymore?/v316/samuraifaith/mad.jpg

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#7
darklao posted...

If you found yourself living in a nation where democracy was the rule of the land, and the vast majority of people believed that spiritual care was paramount, and certain medical procedures were detrimental to a person's well-being. In such a place, would you wish to be allowed the freedom to accept or refuse treatments on behalf of your child? Even if the people in charge of making and enforcing laws were vehemently sure you were doing your child great harm, and had methods of demonstrating that harm that the vast majority of your fellow citizens would be convinced by?
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: darklao

darklao
1 month ago#8
Depends on the details of the democracy, I guess. And the "people in charge," and the "demonstrating" and the "convinced by." I can imagine theoretical cases where the judgment of the citizens as a whole would be clearly superior to the judgment of any one, but in this democracy, it's basically a coin flip whether a parent is more bats*** crazy than the regulatory system is corrupt.

User Info: 3127

1 month ago#9
If people choose to put their gods and/or their religion first, well, I can only approve. Regardless of the laws or the type of government.

User Info: xenoswug

xenoswug
1 month ago#10
It won't matter to a truly devout person. There are already several implied limits on religious expression, and I don't abide by them. God's law will always take precedence over that of man.
Ego eimi he othos kai he aletheia kai he zoe; OUDEIS erchetai pros ton patera ei me de emou!!! - Iesous Xristos
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Limits to religious freedom