This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. 'Kill all gays' Christian pastor is the 1st person BANNED from Ireland

User Info: ollie89

ollie89
1 month ago#1
http://www.towleroad.com/2019/05/steven-anderson-ireland/
Anti-gay pastor Steven Anderson has been banned from entering Ireland under an immigration act passed in 1999 that has never before been used.

The BBC reports: “His website claimed that he was due to preach in Dublin on 26 May. However, an online petition calling for Mr Anderson to be banned from Ireland was created in response, and gained 14,000 signatures.

Anderson celebrated following the massacre at Orlando’s Pulse nightclub, saying there were “50 less pedophiles in the world.” Anderson has compared gay people to ax murderers and Hitler. And he has said gays should be killed because they’re “[redacted]” who snatch and rape children. Anderson also once prayed for the death of Barack Obama.

Anderson was banned from The Netherlands last week. He has also been banned from Jamaica, South Africa, the United Kingdom, Botswana and Canada.

Yikes...
Woo!

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#2
This is very old news. But yes, it's sort of appalling.

We can preach against homosexuality without calling for death. It's a shame, because Steven Anderson is actually an extremely intelligent/likable person outside of his horribly misled theology and adherence to KJV-onlyism.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#3
lol gg no re
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: rockoperajon

rockoperajon
1 month ago#4
Well, while I don't believe it's right to silence someone for having absolutely repugnant opinions, I won't be the first in line to fight for Steven Anderson's freedom of speech.
"We few... We happy few..." -William Shakespeare
"We band of buggered." -William the Bloody

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#5
rockoperajon posted...
Well, while I don't believe it's right to silence someone for having absolutely repugnant opinions, I won't be the first in line to fight for Steven Anderson's freedom of speech.

Usually people only "fight" for freedom of speech when it comes to their own country. Nobody's fighting for the Chinese, for example.

Also: "They're not silencing you, they're just showing you the door"

That's what certain people would probably say if someone were banned from a website, bakery, or some private establishment. They say "it isn't censorship unless the government does it!" I wonder of those same people would say that this is censorship or not. My opinion is that censorship is censorship, whether done within a private institution or the government. Censorship does not always need to overlap with one's "right to freedom of speech" and it's not always inherently bad either, but it is still censorship.

User Info: Dancedreamer

Dancedreamer
1 month ago#6
I'm pretty sure Steven Anderson is a child molester.
This isn't funny Dean, the voice says I'm almost out of minutes!
~Alexandra

User Info: darklao

darklao
1 month ago#7
I am also an extremely intelligent and likeable person outside of my dumb ideas and unlikeable attributes.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#8
rockoperajon posted...

Hate speech should absolutely be censored. f*** principle.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
1 month ago#9
YHWH_Saves posted...
This is very old news. But yes, it's sort of appalling.

More like kind of appealing.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#10
LinkFanatic posted...
Hate speech should absolutely be censored. f*** principle.

The issue there is "what is hate speech?" and "who defines what hate speech is?"
Without proper checks and balances, the definition of what hate speech is can grow like a weed, and pretty soon, you're the one being censored for one reason or another. This is happening now across the internet.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. 'Kill all gays' Christian pastor is the 1st person BANNED from Ireland