This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Young Christians

User Info: AntiMrPlaya1

AntiMrPlaya1
1 month ago#1
So I recently began a new job for a non-religious organization that happens to employ quite a few young Christians. I've noticed something peculiar, however in that while they are very kind I can't help but describe them as very awkward. Socially they just seem to struggle. Has anyone else noticed this? Or have any Christians experienced difficulties socializing with non-christians?

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
1 month ago#2
There are awkward people of all backgrounds and Christians are of course no exception

I somehow doubt Stephen Colbert or Tom Hanks would be awkward if you met them in person

As a Christian, I've never really found out "awkward" socializing with non-Christians. The only time it's a little weird is if they're into something that I don't partake in (binge drinking, drugs), but I've stopped encountering those people as the years go on. Thankfully.
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#3
I've noticed that, too. Not sure if there's a correlation or not, but I'd assume it's because young people aren't experienced enough to control their zeal, and most of them become serious about their faith at that point. I mean, I'm 28, and I still blind myself with bias sometimes. Zeal can be toxic.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: GreenKnight127

GreenKnight127
1 month ago#4
I try not to generalize....but from personal experience....I have noticed that young Christians (like, under the age of 25?) aren't "awkward" so much as they are just quietly condescending.

They secretly believe that something is wrong with people who aren't Christians like them. They see themselves as better. While they see everyone else as lacking something.

They do NOT enjoy hanging out with people who aren't Christian. Unless, of course, it's to help convert them by talking about Jesus constantly.

If they are out of high school/college and STILL havent learned how to communicate, or even associate with non-Christians.....something is severely wrong.

I have personally lost three friends over the course of my life....because they "found Jesus" and suddenly would only allow themselves to hang out with people who go to church with them. They just 100% dumped everyone else in their life. For no reason. The non-Christian friends didn't say anything offensive. Didn't do anything wrong. They just existed.....and someone brainwashed them into thinking "if they aren't with Christ....they are against Christ."

The loss of one particular friend still kinda bothers me to this day. She was a very good friend....we talked all the time. Then she just stopped hanging out with all of us. Wouldn't text us back. Wouldn't say hi when we'd see her in public. It was almost unreal.

And then we talked with some people in her family, wondering if everything was okay, wondering what happened....and they told us point blank: "Yeah, she only associates with her Christian friends now."

And it was seriously like a punch in the gut.
"Think about everything you want out of life. Now think about how many of those things you want only because someone else told you to want them."

SSj4Wingzero
1 month ago#5
I do think it seems to be a general rule that people in their teens and 20's are most likely to take things, like, *way* too far. It's no secret that most terrorists and mass shooters are in their 20's, and so are most of the people who like to get into heated online debates.

Seems like people who become really obnoxious about what they believe are either very young (18-30) or very old (60+)
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

GreenKnight127
1 month ago#6
SSj4Wingzero posted...
I do think it seems to be a general rule that people in their teens and 20's are most likely to take things, like, *way* too far. It's no secret that most terrorists and mass shooters are in their 20's, and so are most of the people who like to get into heated online debates.

Seems like people who become really obnoxious about what they believe are either very young (18-30) or very old (60+)

I agree. It's a very volatile age where the brain is still growing, the identity is still developing....and the hormones are raging.

This is why I think so many college students are EAGER to participate in protests and stuff.

Half the time they honestly couldn't care less about what they are even protesting....they are just attracted to the concept of the protest.

They all think they've figured out the universe, and they're pissed, so they just want to scream. When, in all actuality....they are just trying to get their grip on Life.

Kids these days. Damn internet making them all into sociopaths.
"Think about everything you want out of life. Now think about how many of those things you want only because someone else told you to want them."

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#7
I'm a Christian in my 20s, and I would describe myself as akward, even when associating with other Christians, so there's an anecdote for you.

SSj4Wingzero
1 month ago#8
GreenKnight127 posted...
I try not to generalize....but from personal experience....I have noticed that young Christians (like, under the age of 25?) aren't "awkward" so much as they are just quietly condescending.

They secretly believe that something is wrong with people who aren't Christians like them. They see themselves as better. While they see everyone else as lacking something.

They do NOT enjoy hanging out with people who aren't Christian. Unless, of course, it's to help convert them by talking about Jesus constantly.

If they are out of high school/college and STILL havent learned how to communicate, or even associate with non-Christians.....something is severely wrong.

I have personally lost three friends over the course of my life....because they "found Jesus" and suddenly would only allow themselves to hang out with people who go to church with them. They just 100% dumped everyone else in their life. For no reason. The non-Christian friends didn't say anything offensive. Didn't do anything wrong. They just existed.....and someone brainwashed them into thinking "if they aren't with Christ....they are against Christ."

The loss of one particular friend still kinda bothers me to this day. She was a very good friend....we talked all the time. Then she just stopped hanging out with all of us. Wouldn't text us back. Wouldn't say hi when we'd see her in public. It was almost unreal.

And then we talked with some people in her family, wondering if everything was okay, wondering what happened....and they told us point blank: "Yeah, she only associates with her Christian friends now."

I've had that same experience with friends for other reasons.

For example, one of my good friends from high school started hanging out with a bunch of potheads and smoking weed. To the point where weed was basically part of everything he did. Pretty soon he stopped hanging out with me and my other friend (the three of us had been friends in high school) because he started hanging out with a bunch of potheads, and that was that. Haven't spoken to him in years. Last I heard he started doing more serious drugs.

In college I had a few friends who joined fraternities and the same thing happened. I guess joining a religion can be similar.

All in all, I think it really depends on how your worldview is shaped by your identity. A lot of folks in their 20's are usually in the midst of some sort of identity crisis, so they might be more resistant to things which draw that identity into question.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#9
OrangeWizard posted...
I'm a Christian in my 20s, and I would describe myself as akward, even when associating with other Christians, so there's an anecdote for you.

I'm awkward as s***. I hate most people, so I tend to only hang out with those I can get inebriated with or who will let me get intoxicated without protesting it.

Basically, I'm the kind of person that zero apparently wouldn't hang out with IRL. I'm fine with that :P
Islam is Chaos Control.
(edited 1 month ago)

GreenKnight127
1 month ago#10
SSj4Wingzero posted...
GreenKnight127 posted...

I've had that same experience with friends for other reasons.

For example, one of my good friends from high school started hanging out with a bunch of potheads and smoking weed. To the point where weed was basically part of everything he did. Pretty soon he stopped hanging out with me and my other friend (the three of us had been friends in high school) because he started hanging out with a bunch of potheads, and that was that. Haven't spoken to him in years. Last I heard he started doing more serious drugs.

In college I had a few friends who joined fraternities and the same thing happened. I guess joining a religion can be similar.

All in all, I think it really depends on how your worldview is shaped by your identity. A lot of folks in their 20's are usually in the midst of some sort of identity crisis, so they might be more resistant to things which draw that identity into question.

It sounds like we had a very similar life growing up. I lost several friends to drugs as well. Once they got into that culture, they couldn't hang out with anyone else....because I think it reminded them of everything they threw away. They couldn't associate with people who weren't smoking weed constantly or binge drinking. They just didn't have enough common with them. If you didn't share their vices...they didn't want s*** to do with you.

I have no problem hanging out with potheads. As long as they know how to maintain a conversation. Sadly, most potheads only want to hang out with other potheads. It makes sense I guess.

I also lost 2 friends to a fraternity in college. But after college ended....we got close again. (Fraternities are temporary relationships. People try to pretend otherwise, but they usually only last as long as college lasts).

Humans are just cliquey monkeys. Our little tribes. Banding together over similar interests, likes and dislikes. Because hanging out with something new is scary.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Young Christians