This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Ramadan Mubarak

User Info: Lion2480

Lion2480
1 month ago#1
Today’s the first day of fasting, good luck to those doing it

User Info: Thomasina

Thomasina
1 month ago#2
No luck needed. Allah will guide them.
"I'll leave when you're dead"

User Info: mninp

mninp
1 month ago#3
I was gonna make a new topic, but I saw this so I figure I'd post here. I was born Christian, but over time I became more agnostic, not really sure about religion and faith and all that stuff.

In a relationship right now with a Muslim woman for the past 8 months. She's taught me a lot about Islam and we've been reading the Quran and stuff. Today was officially my first fasting day ever.

It's even harder for me because I also smoke, and I drink a lot. But starting now, I'm completely done with alcohol and I'm only gonna smoke after sunset.

Today was...really difficult. My first craving was some water. Then that went away and I just got hungry. Then I started feeling nicotine withdrawals and I almost got sick a few hours ago. My critical thinking felt like it was gone and I felt like a zombie.

But I made it. My gf is supporting me through all of this and I've prayed a few times to gain more strength. I feel good, but this is going to be a really rough month for me.
Games I'm looking forward to: Super Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Kingdom Hearts HD Remix 2.5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV

Thomasina
1 month ago#4
Why wouldn't you just quit smoking altogether? It's pretty disgusting and your gf probably doesn't like it either. It's definitely worse than drinking. You could at least drink in social situations, or casually once in a while, but that's not a bad idea either to give it up fully.

mninp posted...
and I've prayed a few times to gain more strength

What?

User Info: mninp

mninp
1 month ago#5
Thomasina posted...
Why wouldn't you just quit smoking altogether? It's pretty disgusting and your gf probably doesn't like it either. It's definitely worse than drinking. You could at least drink in social situations, or casually once in a while, but that's not a bad idea either to give it up fully.

mninp posted...
and I've prayed a few times to gain more strength

What?

She told me the drinking is worse. She doesn't like the smoking either, but she can tolerate it as long as I give it up when I fast. But she's gonna work with me to quit fully after Ramadan.

As for the praying, she told me right now don't worry about making the praying times right just yet, right now just focus on fasting. Remember, I'm not a Muslim yet, and this is all new to me, so the complete lifestyle change overnight would be overwhelming. So she's slowly easing me into it. We're doing Quran readings every night and maybe a lecture video or two as well. But she told me that if I'm having trouble with the fasting, just pray to Allah for strength, and that he understands my situation.

I really thought this religion wasn't gonna be right for me, but it's already changing my life for the better. I wasn't gonna think about converting if it was just for her, I only wanna do it for the religion. But we agreed to start off slow for me, gain knowledge, learn about Islam, and take things from there.
Games I'm looking forward to: Super Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Kingdom Hearts HD Remix 2.5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#6
mninp posted...
I was gonna make a new topic, but I saw this so I figure I'd post here. I was born Christian, but over time I became more agnostic, not really sure about religion and faith and all that stuff.

In a relationship right now with a Muslim woman for the past 8 months. She's taught me a lot about Islam and we've been reading the Quran and stuff. Today was officially my first fasting day ever.

It's even harder for me because I also smoke, and I drink a lot. But starting now, I'm completely done with alcohol and I'm only gonna smoke after sunset.

Today was...really difficult. My first craving was some water. Then that went away and I just got hungry. Then I started feeling nicotine withdrawals and I almost got sick a few hours ago. My critical thinking felt like it was gone and I felt like a zombie.

But I made it. My gf is supporting me through all of this and I've prayed a few times to gain more strength. I feel good, but this is going to be a really rough month for me.

Why are you fasting for Ramadan if you aren't a Muslim?
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: Tony_Biggie_Pun

Tony_Biggie_Pun
1 month ago#7
Because he's learning about a new Religion through experiencing it. Also he just said so far it's changed his life for the better so that's probably why

Thomasina
1 month ago#8
I assume this is a joke.

None of the changes you're making have anything to do with religion. They are simple changes you yourself are making. Allah and Islam has nothing to do with it.

Also, Muslim women dating non-Muslims is pretty rare, especially Muslims devoted enough to be praying mutlitple times a day. Sounds like bs.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#9
LinkFanatic posted...

I did it once. Partially because I shared an office with a good friend who was muslim and fasting, and partly just to see what it was like.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#10
kozlo100 posted...
LinkFanatic posted...

I did it once. Partially because I shared an office with a good friend who was muslim and fasting, and partly just to see what it was like.

How did that go?
Islam is Chaos Control.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Ramadan Mubarak