This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Dead or Alive 6 of all things actually raises a good moral dilemma (spoilers)

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#21
OrangeWizard posted...
kozlo100 posted...
Bring back everybody.

Even Hitler?

And make him pay for his crimes? Heck yea I'm into that. Obviously he's way down on the list of people to bring back. I don't think bringing people back to punish them is the highest priority use of this technology, so Hitler can wait, but if we get to the point where we've nothing else to do with it, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back the worst criminals and making them face justice.

That said, I'm just as ok leaving them dead.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#22
Make him give public speaking lessons. The guy knew how to work a crowd

I'm sure we could learn a lot from Hitler.

kozlo100
1 month ago#23
OrangeWizard posted...
I'm sure we could learn a lot from Hitler.

I wonder about that actually. I'm sure he could fill in some gaps in the history, presuming he's willing, and probably also could explain more about his internal state in making the choices he did, but overall I don't know that there's a lot he could tell us that we don't already know.

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
1 month ago#24
kozlo100 posted...

Completely disagree. I guarantee the first person to restart someone's heart knew they weren't bringing back a zombie, and would be able to answer all questions about the expected outcome of the procedure.

You're being intellectually dishonest.

Now you're swtiching from "We can't do anything until I know what will happen if we do something which is impossible" to "Well they had expectations... So it's fine."

Sure they didn't think they were bringing back zombies and they didn't think there would be severe brain damage. But they still knew it was possible.

And to this day bringing people back whose hearts stopped can bring damage and too this day we don't know whether or not a patient will be happy until after they have come back.

You know that because that kind of resuscitation was a well researched medical technique, and well understood well before trying it on a human. While the game might have unconstrained mad scientists working things out, that's not how it is in the real world.

No they didn't. What are you on about?

The origins of resuscitation was a group people trying s*** to save drowning people

They literally used to pump smoke up victim's asses because they thought it might work. They didn't have a clue what they were doing, they were just trying ideas that "Had a good ring to it" and then ran with it.

And they saved hundreds of lives. Europeans then flat out random citizens with no knowledge and training to try this s*** if they saw someone dying or drowning.

Your understanding of history and logic is totally false and incorrect.

You're digging such a hole here.

If the hypothetical is a mad scientist who has no idea what's going to happen when they pull the switch, then no, they don't have my permission to do it.

Again you're being intellectually dishonest.

"No idea what is going to happen"

Is a different statement to:

kozlo100 posted...
Do they come back with their memories and personalities intact, or are they essentially new people in old bodies? What to the people who've been brought back have to say about it, how do they feel?

No one can answer how someone "feels" or what they have to say about it until after the fact.

No one can garantee that there will be nothing like brain damage or other side effects until after the fact.
^ Hey now that's completely woke!
https://imgtc.com/i/bHqCLJF.png https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png

kozlo100
1 month ago#25
UnfairRepresent posted...
snip

And yet darklao was able to come up with a tight enough hypothetical to answer in just one paragraph.

User Info: darklao

darklao
1 month ago#26
Well, in my defense I read a lot of scifi. Like, a LOT.

kozlo100
1 month ago#27
darklao posted...
Well, in my defense I read a lot of scifi. Like, a LOT.

As do I. More people should, I think.
The following is a true story. I'm adding this in after writing the below because I just now realise how whacky it all sounds in context.

Nine or so years ago, my cat died on her 2nd birthday. Got run over by a car. Terrible thing. Loved that cat.
Anyway, at the time I was engaged to this wealthy family who had parmecuticals money. My fiancee told me she'd get my cat back for me and knew a guy (a billionaire guy) from the US who had opened a research facility in South Korea dedicated to cloning his pet dog (whose name was Mandy, IIRC). She told me she'd get us in contact with the dude and promised to pay for it, so, after getting jelly and quizzing her over how close she'd gotten with this dude in the past, I said "What the hell! Let's clone our cat!".
She contacted him, and I spoke to the dude via vid link the same day. He showed us his clone dog (and told us how many dogs died in the process of the five years it took to get to a viable clone of his beloved pet), told us a bunch of horror stories (some fo the previous version of his dog came out with GREEN fur) alongside a bunch of really lovely ones (the pets were coming out, allegedly, with incredible similarities to the original version, personality-wise), told us that cats were easy AF to clone, and advised he was getting ready to close the facility down but would do the cat for us for $12k (US).
Anyhoo, we got all of our cat's genetic material prepared at the Uni, had cold-shipped to the lab, and nine months later, we took a trip to SK in 2009 (got to visit my brother who lived there, so that was a nice bonus). Visited my new-but-somehow-old kitten who had the EXACT same Harry Potter lightning bolt mark fur spot on her head, took the tour (by now it was largely empty rooms and plasitc covered furniture and medical equipment), signed the paperwork (there was A LOT) and then took my kitten back to my bro's gf's house to live for a few months. I couldn't take her home straight away as you're nto allowed to buy a pet from SK and bring it back to Australia, so the plan was this:

Cat moves in with my bro's gf, they move to the UK with my OTHER brother and take the cat (taking a pet cat from SK to the UK is allowed after quarantine), my other brother comes home WITH the cat (he was moving back to Oz anyway), which he claims was his pet whilst living in the UK, the cat gets quarantined in Sydney for a few weeks, and I go down and claim it.

Whelp, this all turned out to take OVER a year and I completely missed out on having her as a kitten again (kinda sucked, but also saved my furniture I guess) and by the time I got her back she was around 14-16 months old. But, she settled right in, and after three days of wonkyness, she was back to living the life she didn't get to finish her previous life. I could go on about some of the more maagical moments , but its already a WOT.

TL;DR: Got a clone cat.
How dare you!
(edited 1 month ago)
DeadlyNinjaBees posted...
The following is a true story. I'm adding this in after writing the below because I just now realise how whacky it all sounds in context.

Nine or so years ago, my cat died on her 2nd birthday. Got run over by a car. Terrible thing. Loved that cat.
Anyway, at the time I was engaged to this wealthy family who had parmecuticals money. My fiancee told me she'd get my cat back for me and knew a guy (a billionaire guy) from the US who had opened a research facility in South Korea dedicated to cloning his pet dog (whose name was Mandy, IIRC). She told me she'd get us in contact with the dude and promised to pay for it, so, after getting jelly and quizzing her over how close she'd gotten with this dude in the past, I said "What the hell! Let's clone our cat!".
She contacted him, and I spoke to the dude via vid link the same day. He showed us his clone dog (and told us how many dogs died in the process of the five years it took to get to a viable clone of his beloved pet), told us a bunch of horror stories (some fo the previous version of his dog came out with GREEN fur) alongside a bunch of really lovely ones (the pets were coming out, allegedly, with incredible similarities to the original version, personality-wise), told us that cats were easy AF to clone, and advised he was getting ready to close the facility down but would do the cat for us for $12k (US).
Anyhoo, we got all of our cat's genetic material prepared at the Uni, had cold-shipped to the lab, and nine months later, we took a trip to SK in 2009 (got to visit my brother who lived there, so that was a nice bonus). Visited my new-but-somehow-old kitten who had the EXACT same Harry Potter lightning bolt mark fur spot on her head, took the tour (by now it was largely empty rooms and plasitc covered furniture and medical equipment), signed the paperwork (there was A LOT) and then took my kitten back to my bro's gf's house to live for a few months. I couldn't take her home straight away as you're nto allowed to buy a pet from SK and bring it back to Australia, so the plan was this:

Cat moves in with my bro's gf, they move to the UK with my OTHER brother and take the cat (taking a pet cat from SK to the UK is allowed after quarantine), my other brother comes home WITH the cat (he was moving back to Oz anyway), which he claims was his pet whilst living in the UK, the cat gets quarantined in Sydney for a few weeks, and I go down and claim it.

Whelp, this all turned out to take OVER a year and I completely missed out on having her as a kitten again (kinda sucked, but also saved my furniture I guess) and by the time I got her back she was around 14-16 months old. But, she settled right in, and after three days of wonkyness, she was back to living the life she didn't get to finish her previous life. I could go on about some of the more maagical moments , but its already a WOT.

TL;DR: Got a clone cat.

lolololol/10
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my awesome teams.

User Info: BB mofo

BB mofo
3 weeks ago#30
UnfairRepresent posted...
Which is actually kinda cool and interesting. IF you had the means to bring someone back to life who you love more than anything and means the world to you, would you? Or is it better this way and to move on? Don't play God.

That plot sounds like the other side of Black Mirror's San Junipero.

I think when you are dead, you are dead. But that doesn't mean I'm against a person who looks like me with all my memories being there for my family. They just have to remember that the person is not me, and whoever is in my place will have to accept that as well. It would be no different than having another son. Otherwise, I would be fine with having someone who loves my family as much as I do being there for them.

kozlo100 posted...
And make him pay for his crimes? Heck yea I'm into that. Obviously he's way down on the list of people to bring back. I don't think bringing people back to punish them is the highest priority use of this technology, so Hitler can wait, but if we get to the point where we've nothing else to do with it, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back the worst criminals and making them face justice

I wrote a very short story back in college for my writing exam about a Jewish colony in the far future who found out they were all descended from clones of Hitler. The "colony" was originally a Holocaust monument that cloned Hitler and put him to death for each victim of the Holocaust. The monument broke down and the clones left over found the part of the monument dedicated to Jewish culture. They mistakenly thought they were the Jews and based a 2000 year old civilization off it. The truth wasn't discovered until an archeologist found the control room, cloning vats, and records.

I admit that I partially ripped the idea off of "Red Dwarf".
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
-Mark Twain
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Dead or Alive 6 of all things actually raises a good moral dilemma (spoilers)