This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Dead or Alive 6 of all things actually raises a good moral dilemma (spoilers)

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
1 month ago#1
Major Spoilers

Been playing Dead or Alive 6 and there's this typical insane Japanese plot about blue haired anime girl scientists bringing super-martial artists back from the dead in a lab using the blood of a mega fighting family to take over the world somehow.

But the ending is actually kind of cool. The heroes beat up the big bad villain (inside 5 seconds of him being let loose which is hilarious)

However literally after that and the world is saved, we go back in the lab and the scientist is talking to one the other minor side characters. Whose original motivation was "Someone killed my innocent mom for no reason and I'm entering this tournament to find out who and get revenge!" 20 years ago but now over the course of the game plots has gotten over it and runs a billion dollar mega-corp.

And the scientist goes "Oh btw, I didn't just use this lab to bring back the big villain. Since I literally built a lab that could raise the dead, I literally brought your mom back to life as well for no reason other than I thought you'd like it. You're welcome."

And the daughter is like "Why the f*** did you do that!? I've already greived for her and moved on!" and seems genuinely angry, sad, confused and hurt.

And the scientist is like "Nah this is cool, you can be with loved ones again! You're wrong to be upset about this."

And the the game just ends. No big fight or anything. It just stops there as if a dog burst into the room and knocked a glass of Pepsi all over the laptop, breaking it.

Which is actually kinda cool and interesting. IF you had the means to bring someone back to life who you love more than anything and means the world to you, would you? Or is it better this way and to move on? Don't play God.

Is it selfish to want undo the past and regain happiness in the moment? Or is it arrogance to be opposed new technologies and new ideas that will bring warmth and joy purely because it is new and disturbing compared the status quo you understood purely due the previous lack of technology?

Reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFwyobtnKA

Let's just say that technology did exist and people could bring loved ones back from the dead. Would that be a good thing?

Would God approve? If he didn't, how come Jesus got to do it? To himself and other people.

Would it be any different then bringing back people whose hearts stopped or had horrible diseases which were death sentences a thousand years ago?

What would you think/feel if this were to become real?
^ Hey now that's completely woke!
https://imgtc.com/i/bHqCLJF.png https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#2
Haha. I sometimes forget we're on a gaming forum, and was taken aback by DoA6 being mentioned here.

==========

You're absolutely right, though. That is an interesting dilemma. As someone who cannot help but find God even when watching Gordon Ramsay on YouTube, it's amazing where inspiration is sometimes found.

As for the question at hand, I think the prospect of manufactured resurrection is both kinda cool and disturbing at the same time. It's cool, because while I don't think it'll ever be possible, I can see how it could be a practical extension of offering other human beings life (much like medicine, but after death), or a chance to seek second chances, and so on.

However, I also see the potential for abuse as well. Rather than emphasize the importance of making good decisions in this life, I suspect that many would position it as a convenient "morning after"-esque solution to poor decision-making. I already see that happening with various forms of 1-stop STD-prevention pills, and such.

================

Ultimately, I don't think God would approve. The biblical purpose of resurrection is faith, and to testify of God's glory. Marketplace resurrection would almost ensure that the inherent value to life would be minimized, while theological concepts like self-sacrifice and God's outpouring of Himself into humanity would become lost in the noise of human's "playing God."

================

Finally, I cannot help but think that we'd find ourselves in a Pet Cemetery of sorts, only becoming aware of all these averse affects after it is much too late (i.e., Hitler is back in power, and has the aid of Nimrod or something...haha).
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#3
I'd need way, way more details before forming an opinion. Is this for the long dead, or only recently dead? Do they come back with their memories and personalities intact, or are they essentially new people in old bodies? What to the people who've been brought back have to say about it, how do they feel?
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

UnfairRepresent
1 month ago#4
kozlo100 posted...
I'd need way, way more details before forming an opinion. Is this for the long dead, or only recently dead? Do they come back with their memories and personalities intact, or are they essentially new people in old bodies? What to the people who've been brought back have to say about it, how do they feel?

Well you won't know any of that until after it happens

So you have to get passed the moral debate of whether or not you should before you can even answer those questions

kozlo100
1 month ago#5
If the guy actually doing it is asking my permission, I'll need him to have the answers to those questions before I give it.

If he hasn't the faintest idea whether or not he's bringing people back or just animating corpses, or even how fresh a corpse he needs to do the work, then I'm going to give that a hard pass.

UnfairRepresent
1 month ago#6
kozlo100 posted...
If the guy actually doing it is asking my permission, I'll need him to have the answers to those questions before I give it.

How the hell is she supposed to know?

"How do we know if we resuscitate this guy whose heart stopped whether or not he'll have his memories or be like a new person? How will he feel about it!?"

The doctor won't know until they have done it.

I mean in the game the guy they brought back was an evil bastard and he was still an evil bastard with all his memories and was happy to come back

but they can't have known that was going to happen until after he came back. There is no way to know that until it happened

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#7
What, their experiments didn't allow them to answer any of those questions? Some doctors they are

kozlo100
1 month ago#8
UnfairRepresent posted...

If I build a machine, I damn well know what it's supposed to do before I turn it on, else I don't flip the switch. Heck, I have a pretty good idea what it's supposed to do and how it's gonna work before I even start building it.

These are the details I need in order to know how I'd feel about having it done.

UnfairRepresent
1 month ago#9
kozlo100 posted...
UnfairRepresent posted...

If I build a machine, I damn well know what it's supposed to do before I turn it on, else I don't flip the switch. Heck, I have a pretty good idea what it's supposed to do and how it's gonna work before I even start building it.

These are the details I need in order to know how I'd feel about having it done.

That's a lazy retort.

You can test whether or not a freezer freezes food or liquid.

You can't test whether or not someone risen from the dead will have memories, like being back alive or are "like new people" without doing it.

How can you test how people who are raised from the dead will feel without raising people from the dead?

You flat out side-stepped my question of how in your mind they could justify resuscitating people who have had heart failure since the same questions apply.

You tell me, how can you possibly answer those questions about the aftereffect of raising the dead without raising the dead?

Even if you did it on a Rat to test like how fresh the corpse has to be and physical side effects, you couldn't ask the rat about memories or feelings.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Dead or Alive 6 of all things actually raises a good moral dilemma (spoilers)