This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How do you find a good church?

User Info: PurpleLizard

PurpleLizard
2 months ago#11
Boco_XLVII posted...
That's very interesting! Thank you for the info. I'm familiar with Jewish theology, philosophy, and scripture, I have a Tanakh and a commentary I've read through, but I'm not well-versed in the practice of it or in culture. My wife is Jewish although she doesn't practice, and we've been to the reform synagogue in town which was a very interesting experience but not really one that seems welcoming to me as a non-Jew (although everyone was very nice).

To be completely honest, Orthodox synagogues (which I have more familiarity with) are probably even less welcoming to gentiles (not hostile, just not necessarily "open"). Mixed marriages are still quite scandalous in these communities. In Orthodox/traditional Jewish theology, a marriage between a gentile and a Jew doesn't exist in the eyes of God. It has the same status as a premarital relationship.

Edit: Not trying to cast any aspersions on your marriage, of course. I'm just saying that the experience is very different from, say, a non-denominational Christian church that's very open to everybody.
1994-0244-1993
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Frolfer

Frolfer
2 months ago#12
In Roman Catholicism, each parish actually has a territory on a map. Where you live dictates the parish which you are supposed to attend. That's the ideal, because ideally Catholics are united in Christ and feel at home with their fellow believers--whomever they may be, whatever language they speak, whatever politics the follow, etc.--gathered around the Lord's Table. Maybe it doesn't work quite so well in practice (i.e. Catholics church-shop too), but I think that's really how it's supposed to work according to Canon Law. And I think it's nice. I attend the parish I am supposed to attend.
Wimoweh!

User Info: PurpleLizard

PurpleLizard
2 months ago#13
Frolfer posted...
In Roman Catholicism, each parish actually has a territory on a map. Where you live dictates the parish which you are supposed to attend. That's the ideal, because ideally Catholics are united in Christ and feel at home with their fellow believers--whomever they may be, whatever language they speak, whatever politics the follow, etc.--gathered around the Lord's Table. Maybe it doesn't work quite so well in practice (i.e. Catholics church-shop too), but I think that's really how it's supposed to work according to Canon Law. And I think it's nice. I attend the parish I am supposed to attend.

If you're a Catholic, why are you defending the Septuagint so vigorously in our other topic? The official Catholic Bible is the Vulgate, and the Old Testament of the Vulgate was translated directly into Latin from the Hebrew original by Saint Jerome, not from Greek. Shouldn't we be discussing my problems with the Latin Vulgate rather than with the Greek Septuagint?

Not to derail the topic. Maybe you can respond to this point in our other thread.

On topic: I think I remember this system from my Catholic days. We just always went to whatever was the local parish we were meant to go to. I find this infinitely preferable theologically to shopping around for different churches.
1994-0244-1993
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Boco_XLVII

Boco_XLVII
2 months ago#14
If you don't want to derail the topic why are you detailing the topic lol

Anyway, I'm aware that there are issues with any religious couples that have different faiths, or different strong beliefs of any kind. My wife already comes from a mixed household and was raised Catholic because of having one Catholic parent. But we aren't looking for an orthodox jewish community for a lot of reasons, and the fact that they wouldn't like us there is only a very small one in face of the others.

(besides, a lot of more conservative congregations aren't going to welcome a lesbian couple with open arms anyway, so why should we waste our time with them lol)

I knew about the parish system for Catholics but as far as I'm aware there isn't a similar social convention for other denominations or faiths in the US. (I know having a local shrine in Shinto practice in Japan is important, but we aren't living in Japan at the moment and that kind of practice is more solitary than I'd like anyway).
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster.
Protest slaughter of Cyber Elves! @atinyfairy on Twitter
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How do you find a good church?