3 months ago #11
    Boco_XLVII posted...
    That's very interesting! Thank you for the info. I'm familiar with Jewish theology, philosophy, and scripture, I have a Tanakh and a commentary I've read through, but I'm not well-versed in the practice of it or in culture. My wife is Jewish although she doesn't practice, and we've been to the reform synagogue in town which was a very interesting experience but not really one that seems welcoming to me as a non-Jew (although everyone was very nice).

To be completely honest, Orthodox synagogues (which I have more familiarity with) are probably even less welcoming to gentiles (not hostile, just not necessarily "open"). Mixed marriages are still quite scandalous in these communities. In Orthodox/traditional Jewish theology, a marriage between a gentile and a Jew doesn't exist in the eyes of God. It has the same status as a premarital relationship.

Edit: Not trying to cast any aspersions on your marriage, of course. I'm just saying that the experience is very different from, say, a non-denominational Christian church that's very open to everybody.
    1994-0244-1993

Previous Versions
    3 months ago
    Boco_XLVII posted...
    That's very interesting! Thank you for the info. I'm familiar with Jewish theology, philosophy, and scripture, I have a Tanakh and a commentary I've read through, but I'm not well-versed in the practice of it or in culture. My wife is Jewish although she doesn't practice, and we've been to the reform synagogue in town which was a very interesting experience but not really one that seems welcoming to me as a non-Jew (although everyone was very nice).

To be completely honest, Orthodox synagogues (which I have more familiarity with) are probably even less welcoming to gentiles (not hostile, just not necessarily "open"). Mixed marriages are still quite scandalous in these communities. In Orthodox/traditional Jewish theology, a marriage between a gentile and a Jew doesn't exist in the eyes of God. It has the same status as a premarital relationship.