This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Hypothetical questions for people here who do not have kids

User Info: JDavidC

JDavidC
3 months ago#1
If you're a theist, would you raise your children to follow the same religion you do? If not, would you instead tell them about the world's major religions and let them decide?

If you're an atheist, what would you do with your children regarding religion? Would you tell them about other religions and why you believe they are all false?

I'm a theist, and I don't intend to have any children. However, if I did, I would not raise my children as religious. I *would* tell them about religions, and mention why I believe in mine, but I'd leave it up to them as to whether or not they want to be part of the religion or not. I'd be more interested in the best parts of the teachings of my religion and stuff like critical thinking/common sense/learning to think for yourself before I'd suggest whether or not they should choose a religion.
3DS FC: 3093-7112-3992

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
3 months ago#2
JDavidC posted...
If you're a theist, would you raise your children to follow the same religion you do?

Yes. It's a biblical command.

But I don't plan on having any children

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
3 months ago#3
JDavidC posted...
If you're a theist, would you raise your children to follow the same religion you do?

Yes.

Although I don’t have children and the probability of my having children is almost zero.
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
3 months ago#4
Are you only wanting answers from people who don't have kids? Or are you also looking to people for whom this question is less hypothetical?
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: TurtleInFreedom

TurtleInFreedom
3 months ago#5
"Religion" isn't something you have a choice in following- it's a worldview, a complete system of life that is basic reality for the believer. It isn't some ideology or philosophy where you 'choose to believe'. You are either conformed, compelled or coerced into believing- it's never a choosing. "Choice" presupposes a consumerist, secular worldview of the Enlightenment where man is the center, not God.

As for the question I would of course take them to church, but their faith towards God is of their own volition.
(message deleted)

User Info: HappyDog

HappyDog
3 months ago#7
Yes, they can choose what they finna do when they an adult but it's important to give them that foundation.
Deleted FEH. I don't know where I'm going but I can't stay here.

User Info: PurpleLizard

PurpleLizard
3 months ago#8
OrangeWizard posted...
JDavidC posted...

Yes. It's a biblical command.

But I don't plan on having any children

It's also a biblical command to have children. "Go forth and multiply" is the first of the 613 commandments given to Israel. In fact, Jews believe that "Did you make the attempt to have children in your life?" will be the first rhetorical question God asks of a human soul that died childless. The mandatory nature of having as many children as possible (Orthodox Jews are very strong on this) is one of the only arguments against abortion that seem to have a solid Biblical basis.
1994-0244-1993

User Info: PurpleLizard

PurpleLizard
3 months ago#9
HappyDog posted...
Yes, they can choose what they finna do when they an adult but it's important to give them that foundation.

Foundation of what?
1994-0244-1993

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
3 months ago#10
PurpleLizard posted...
HappyDog posted...

Foundation of what?

This.
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my awesome teams.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Hypothetical questions for people here who do not have kids
  • Topic Archived