This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Ever notice how gods are almost never good?

User Info: WOMANpukumaru

WOMANpukumaru
2 months ago#1
Almost all of them are selfish self absorbed entitled power hungry often a******s who get into petty squabbles with eachother. They are just as likely to see humanity as playthings than as children or allies and you’re basically supposed to worship them out of fear or divine right or because you want them on your side.

This is true..pretty much all around the world. Even the relatively good ones are only relatively good and can still be pricks under the right mood.

Maybe at best they’re neutral. I guess a lot of them fit here.

Even YHWH is this for basically all of Old Testament until New Testament tries to noticeably retcon him by basically never having him directly show up aside from Jesus, like a recast actor.

I’m trying to even think of some where it’s like they’re good because they’re good not because the bad guys more bad

I think the Hindu gods are mostly alright from what I remember. It’s been awhile.

I think the Egyptian gods are either decent or neutral with few exceptions

Could be I’m not thinking hard enough but all of them I can think are either neutral or a******s. It’s kind of interesting.
Because MANpukumaru is ALL WOMAN!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32dKkBw8Dis

User Info: PurpleLizard

PurpleLizard
2 months ago#2
Basically, our gods are just like us.
1994-0244-1993

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
2 months ago#3
YHWH is always good. Context is key.

The closest comparison I have is my own father. He has often been very strict; has often made blanket threats of disassociation if I was disobedient. Has a thunderous voice that commands attention, and has hidden his intents at various times that made it seem as though he were unreasonable or illogical.

However, he has been my foundation throughout life. Worked tirelessly to put me through college; cared for me when I was a bum and without "purpose." Continuously forgave my sister and I for doing stupid ****. Gave us free reign over his household and bank account while we were yet disobedient pricks. Lives very modestly, and tells wonderful stories which - while farfetched - always have potent moral lessons.

Gave away entire houses/land to obvious whoremonger friends. Even continued to associate and assist a friend who tried to murder him.

=============================

My point?

The God of Abraham is always good. Though we may perceive His ways to be illogical or even cruel, He has always had the best in mind for His sons and daughters. I can't for the life of me begin to understand how anyone can believe Him to be anything other than good.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
2 months ago#4
YHWH_Saves posted...
I can't for the life of me begin to understand how anyone can believe Him to be anything other than good.

How is slavery and genocide moral, like just as an example?
Islam is Chaos Control.
(message deleted)

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
2 months ago#6
I agree. The God of Christianity is the only good one. The rest are junk.
I steal your sock.

User Info: TalesofLizalfos

TalesofLizalfos
2 months ago#7
Yeah. It definitely doesn't help that the biggest a******s in the bunch attract the biggest fanbase, as that seems to be something common throughout the various mythologies of humanity.

Also the Japanese pantheon is pretty neat.
- My theme song: https://youtu.be/eVsLt1JuPfg
- Lizalfos for Smash.

User Info: Ashethan

Ashethan
2 months ago#8
Because the people who made them up were a******s. So of course they made their gods a******s too.

What kind of God drowns 99% of the population, including the animals?

Then you have cases where people see "DIVINE PUNISHMENT" for arbitrary things. Like taking a census, for example. 70,000 people died? MUST HAVE BEEN DIVINE PUNISHMENT AND NOT TOTALLY SOMETHING ELSE. So therefore God was angry, and it gets put in the bible.
Board 8 Mafia Archive: ashchive.altervista.org
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
2 months ago#9
Ashethan posted...
What kind of God drowns 99% of the population, including the animals?

You missed the context - that the quiet intentions of human beings were ONLY evil.

That's sort of important.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: Ashethan

Ashethan
2 months ago#10
YHWH_Saves posted...
You missed the context - that the quiet intentions of human beings were ONLY evil.

How can babies and children be evil?

And animals for that matter. What did the puppies and kittens do to deserve being drowned?
Board 8 Mafia Archive: ashchive.altervista.org
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Ever notice how gods are almost never good?