This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. My friend wants to know if she can get missionary work at her church without a

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#1
a GED. She hates math, so I can't really motivate her to go and get it. I don't blame her; math is taught very poorly like 90% of the time. Anyway, she said she'd pursue her GED if it meant she could do missions work. As a former churchgoer, I was too young and careless to ever think about that stuff, despite still believing in God and actively wanting to be a pastor and/or missionary myself at the time. Anyways, I know it could be church specific, but perhaps you guys could still give her some general information about this?
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: the_hedonist

the_hedonist
4 months ago#2
I’ll try and gather my thoughts in an organized way. Lots of variables. Here are some possible questions to ask:

Does she know where she wants to be a missionary? For example, if she wants to be missionary in Japan, you can get a missionary visa. They’re cool with that. But many countries are not. Say she wanted to go to China. She would need to go under a different kind of visa. So she would need a business to go with. In which case, I imagine most Americans China lets stay long-term have a good amount of business experience, which would often require a GED and/or college degree.

Does she know in what capacity she wants to act as a missionary? In other words, are we talking straight-up evangelism or something else? ‘Something else,’ such as medical missions, education, orphan care, Bible translation, etc. will often require training, education, and/or certification of some sort. Even something like disaster relief requires a good deal of experience and training. So depending on what she wants to do when she goes, some additional education may be required.

The answers to those two questions would help narrow it down a bit. Generally speaking, most churches and missions organizations I know of don’t require education or training unless there’s some reason that is ‘job-related,’ so to speak. I’ve known missionaries with only a high school diploma sent by organizations before.

My advice to her would begin a process of prayer and discernment in which she can hone in on what she wants to do as a missionary and where she wants to go. And to include friends, specifically friends who can be lovingly honest with her about her specific gifts and talents that God can use on the mission field. Answering the questions of what and where (and partnering with which organization or church) might help answer the question of whether to pursue a GED.

I would also suggest looking for local ministries or churches in her area who are already serving people. I would try to find a way now to volunteer or even get a job locally to start exercising those gifts and talents God has given her so she can gain valuable experience but also so she can learn more about herself and her calling in the process. No need to wait till she’s overseas to start serving people!
Resurgam.

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#3
My friend just made an account for herself. After her probationary period ends, she wants to post in this topic herself. I think that's for the better, for obvious reasons.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
4 months ago#4
I think she should absolutely pursue her GED first

Missionary work is a noble profession and I would never dissuade someone from entering it, but it's not always a life-long thing, and those doors might not always be open. If the opportunity is there for you to get an education...do it.
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#5
SSj4Wingzero posted...
If the opportunity is there for you to get an education...do it.

Math is holding her back, because let's face it, a lot of people can't teach it for s***. I did show her Professor Leonard on YouTube (who has been helping me through college), but if you guys have any other suggestions, I'm [she's] all ears.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
4 months ago#6
As a math teacher, that absolutely pains me to hear

Was she ever evaluated for having a learning disability in mathematics?
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#7
Nah, I don't think so; it's more like she lacks motivation because she finds math boring, and is far enough behind that it seems overwhelming to learn even though it isn't.
Islam is Chaos Control.

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#8
@kozlo100, @OrangeWizard, do you guys have any thoughts on this?
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
4 months ago#9
Not really. I only know how the Jehovah's Witnesses do missionary work.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
4 months ago#10
I don't want to talk too much out of turn since I don't know her or her church, but since you've asked, I'll give my two cents.

I don't have really any experience with missionary work, but none of the churches I've ever been affiliated with or adjacent to in my life required a particular education to do they work. I'd be surprised if she couldn't find somewhere she could sign up. That really is just a question for her church specifically though.

On the wider issue, I will say that missionary work seems like it might not be as good a choice as it seems. I know why it looks attractive, and she probably has a passion for it that makes it even more so, but it's also super likely to have challenges that are far more difficult than a boring math class. If she hasn't the will to overcome the one just for the sake of having an education, then I'm not sure what'll happen when the going gets rough in the other. Again, I could be completely off base here, and I'm not trying to talk badly about someone I don't even know, but speaking to an anonymous person of whom I only know the facts presented here, that'd be my concern.

What does she want to do with her life beyond missionary work? Even if the goal is is to remain in some sort of role of service to her church as a career, a GED or even higher levels of education will be very useful. The benefits of having a good education and a well rounded base of knowledge, including math, in almost any realm of life really cannot be understated. If she powers through this math hurdle and gets that GED, it will make her better able to do anything she wants to do from here on out.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. My friend wants to know if she can get missionary work at her church without a
  • Topic Archived