This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I don't get how people can still believe in god in 2019.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#101
kozlo100 posted...
And I also think that communication is easier when both sides understand that having radically different conclusions doesn't mean that either side is being irrational, illogical, uninformed, or stupid.

Some things are more uniform than that. Remember, we were talking about anti-vaxxers before. Their position is literally all of those negative words you used at the end of your post here. They may think that their position is nuanced, but it really isn't.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#102
The anti-vaxxers are a little bit different. Also a little bit harder for me to talk about because I haven't ever known one to actually explain what nuances they think their belief has. They tend to only talk among themselves.

But I think the main difference would be that their arguments don't even tend to be self-consistent, and the sources they trust change from moment to moment.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: LunaticCritic

LunaticCritic
1 month ago#103
LinkFanatic posted...
kozlo100 posted...
And I also think that communication is easier when both sides understand that having radically different conclusions doesn't mean that either side is being irrational, illogical, uninformed, or stupid.

Some things are more uniform than that. Remember, we were talking about anti-vaxxers before. Their position is literally all of those negative words you used at the end of your post here. They may think that their position is nuanced, but it really isn't.

True...but if one is at least able to understand why they believe this way before making the counter-arguments, it might get easier for them to swallow said counter-arguements...and, if it still doesn't lead to a conversion, it at least leaves them more open to dialogue.

Again, to quote yourself:

LinkFanatic posted...
If you're saying that you have to put yourself on someone's level in order to persuade them to actual facts, I agree.
The user formerly known as crazygamer999.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension

User Info: Tamamo-no-mae

Tamamo-no-mae
1 month ago#104
the gods are like dark matter for the most part, you can't really observe them except in how they affect the things around them. one can only observe so many patterns of an inexplicably probability denying nature before one starts to suspect the existence of the supernatural.
currently reading: Berserk, Centaur no Nayami, Girl Friends, Mobile Armoured Police Division, Until Death Do Us Part, Deka Wanko, 7 Seeds, Stray God, more...
Tamamo-no-mae posted...
the gods are like dark matter for the most part, you can't really observe them except in how they affect the things around them. one can only observe so many patterns of an inexplicably probability denying nature before one starts to suspect the existence of the supernatural.

Source?
How dare you!

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#106
Tamamo-no-mae posted...
one can only observe so many patterns of an inexplicably probability denying nature

Low probability =/= supernatural. Is that what you're trying to say here?
Islam is Chaos Control.

Tamamo-no-mae
1 month ago#107
DeadlyNinjaBees posted...
Tamamo-no-mae posted...

Source?

that's just my own personal observation based on my own experiences.

LinkFanatic posted...
Low probability =/= supernatural. Is that what you're trying to say here?

of course things of a low probability happening aren't necessarily indicative of some kind of supernatural interference, but if the improbable tends to happen improbably often one would be remiss if one entirely discounted the possibility.
currently reading: Berserk, Centaur no Nayami, Girl Friends, Mobile Armoured Police Division, Until Death Do Us Part, Deka Wanko, 7 Seeds, Stray God, more...
Tamamo-no-mae posted...
Tamamo-no-mae posted...

Source?

Have you ever read or watched American Gods?
You should. It's closer to the truth.
How dare you!

Tamamo-no-mae
1 month ago#109
Tamamo-no-mae posted...
Tamamo-no-mae posted...

Source?

Have you ever read or watched American Gods?
You should. It's closer to the truth.

i haven't, it's on amazon's streaming service and i already have two streaming services which is way more TV than i even have time to watch in any given period of time on average. i've heard good things about it though.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I don't get how people can still believe in god in 2019.