This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I don't get how people can still believe in god in 2019.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#1
I'm not trying to offend anyone here, and I don't care whether you believe or not; my roommate's a Christian, and we debate theology all the time. I also recognize that the supernatural cannot be empirically measured by science, so that's not what I'm trying to do either. Rather, I'm simply asking how people can maintain an active belief in god nowadays when we have so much more reliable explanations for most allegedly supernatural phenomena. Also, if people are content to say "I don't know" when it comes to their own theology, why are they not applying the same thing to the supernatural?

To summarize, I guess I'm confused as to why feelings are a valid measuring stick for belief in god? It would be like if I had an epiphany while high or something, then became a Christian after that. Do you guys not see how that's such a weak foundation? How does that not bother you?
Islam is Chaos Control.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: TurtleInFreedom

TurtleInFreedom
1 month ago#2
Because we believe in the resurrection. Belief is just belief in Jesus dying and rising again, nothing more.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#3
Why is belief a good metric for belief?
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
1 month ago#4
LinkFanatic flopic (as usual).
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my awesome teams.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: TurtleInFreedom

TurtleInFreedom
1 month ago#5
LinkFanatic posted...

?

What do you mean?

PokemonExpert44
1 month ago#6
TurtleInFreedom posted...
LinkFanatic posted...

?

What do you mean?

He means that he doesn't make sense (as usual).

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#7
For me, it's hardly about the supernatural, and all about the bible. It's not that I had a personal experience with a miracle, or a warm fuzzy feeling, or anything like that. I'm a believer because I'm convinced that what the bible says is true.

User Info: zinformant

zinformant
1 month ago#8
LinkFanatic posted...
I also recognize that the supernatural cannot be empirically measured by science, so that's not what I'm trying to do either.

If something is truly supernatural, it's epistemically limited by perception and, thus, unknowable. Any divine revelations recorded in holy texts are very much natural events subject to measurement and associated scrutiny. This is why reputable scholars don't address, say, the historicity of Jonah. They know that it's impossible to take that story literally.
Is it naive to dream of a world without war?

PokemonExpert44
1 month ago#9
zinformant posted...
LinkFanatic posted...
I also recognize that the supernatural cannot be empirically measured by science, so that's not what I'm trying to do either.

If something is truly supernatural, it's epistemically limited by perception and, thus, unknowable. Any divine revelations recorded in holy texts are very much natural events subject to measurement and associated scrutiny. This is why reputable scholars don't address, say, the historicity of Jonah. They know that it's impossible to take that story literally.

The supernatural is by no means unknowable.
PokemonExpert44 posted...
zinformant posted...
LinkFanatic posted...

The supernatural is by no means unknowable.

Cringe. So, so much cringe.
How dare you!
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I don't get how people can still believe in god in 2019.