This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Christians, you ever feel the urgency present in our faith?

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
2 months ago#1
Fifteen and 1/2 years ago, I was called by God. I didn't convert immediately, but every life event thereafter has been purposeful. About ten years ago, I began to be filled with an ineffable sense of dread; I couldn't put my finger on it, but felt that God was whispering to me that dark times were ahead, and that I needed to be on my toes.

Today, I create this topic, because I feel as though I am bearing witness to the fruits of a world gone absolute mad in recent years. If ever I could approximate an understanding of the Isaiah's description of folk drinking their own piss, whilst not knowing their left from their right, political leaders taking bribes, mass whoredom, etc., it is now.

Believe it or not, I am not approaching this from an apocalyptic point of view, at least not in the eschatological sense. I am asking my topic question to Christians, because I am curious to know if the sense of responsibility has taken those who profess to bear witness to the truth and to be the light amid the darkness.

This is a dramatic way of asking: Do you understand exactly what you are up against, as a professed follower of Jesus? There is no "body" towards which to turn, as churches are absolutely vile and corrupt. There is no Israel to turn to, because geopolitics have somehow subverted the Great Commission. There is no one to carry the torch of light, and it now resides in the individual to so make the glory of God known to all corners of the earth.

We have become scattered, laid desolate.

There is a troubling verse in John's Gospel that describes Jesus' default disposition towards mankind. Although they sought him, to entrust their very lives to him, he never returned the favor. He knew that all men were slanted wicked, and therefore led an isolated life, in spite of being continuously surrounded by the crowds.

Has it set upon you that this is your walk, as a Christian?
========================

This is what you have chosen; what you have been tasked with. It ain't gone be easy, guys!!!!
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: Frolfer

Frolfer
2 months ago#2
This post resonates with me: I think you and I have probably experienced very similar emotions over the past several years as we have contemplated the direction of the Christian faith in this current age. If I can fit it in to my schedule today, I'll try to respond in detail. Thanks for posting.
Wimoweh!

User Info: Asherlee10

Asherlee10
2 months ago#3
YHWH_Saves posted...
felt that God was whispering to me that dark times were ahead

I've always wondered, when people say this -- is it literal? If not, how does this work? How do you know it's a god and not just your brain processing your situation?

YHWH_Saves posted...
I feel as though I am bearing witness to the fruits of a world gone absolute mad in recent years.

Every generation says this.
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
2 months ago#4
Asherlee10 posted...
I've always wondered, when people say this -- is it literal? If not, how does this work? How do you know it's a god and not just your brain processing your situation?

I don't hear a voice that uses English to give me complete sentence thoughts, no. It's more of a deep, spiritual knowing. And yes, doubt does factor into the equation, because you always have a tingling that you might, in fact, be loony.

However, as others can attest, when these things come to pass, it's more than sufficient than to suggest craziness.

Asherlee10 posted...
Every generation says this.

I don't have complete knowledge of every generational response to world catastrophe, but I don't doubt you. However, what biblical history proves to us is that advanced societies, of which we happen to be a part (here in the West), birth unspeakable evils. The reason why the prophetic warnings of ancient, tribal Hebrew societies ring so true to our modern sensibilities, is because freedom/blessing invokes the innate human instinct to sin. Men are incapable of espousing freedoms without exploit. God despises Empire, and we're standing/partaking in perhaps the greatest one to ever rise in the earth.

According to our faith, human beings should not cohabit the same lands unless spiritually mingled/unified. We live in an era of mass globalization and breakneck technological advance. We have thrown people who could not be more culturally different than one another into a melting pot, under the constraint of limited resources, and expected a good outcome.

Because we have watched the world come together in our generation, we bear special witness. Sure, things have always been bad, but the world was never as united (in rebellion) as it is now.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#5
Wait, am I hearing you say that cultural diversity and technological advancement are signs that our current era is more evil than any other?
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: the_hedonist

the_hedonist
2 months ago#6
I have a patient urgency, one might say. I’m at once discontented and hopeful.

It’s hard for me to say whether this state of affairs is worse than other periods in history. In the global scheme, biblical, Jesus-loving, fruit-bearing, Spirit-filled Christianity seems to be on the rise. Perhaps that is not so in America, although it’s possible that we are seeing the chaff separated from the wheat, so to speak, after periods of American history in which Christianity was a religious norm that may have been motivated by things other than love for and humble submission to God.

That said, I recently had an experience in which the love God has for me overwhelmed me to the point of tears. That gives me urgency. I certainly don’t want people to be under the judgment of God, but more than that, I want people to know the love of God. That abiding feeling of the love of God is what I want for everyone and the fact that there are many out there who do not know that does give me an urgency. The patience referenced earlier is a recognition that true conversion typically comes moreso by patient, faithful witness in combination with longsuffering prayer than it does by the usual proselytization methods of contemporary evangelicalism, which do not seem to stress patience. Sure, those things have a time and a place, and there are those who have been especially gifted to operate in those methods. As for me, the only fruit I’ve ever seen in evangelism has come through relationship, prayer, and patience.
Resurgam.

User Info: Asherlee10

Asherlee10
2 months ago#7
YHWH_Saves posted...
I don't hear a voice that uses English to give me complete sentence thoughts, no. It's more of a deep, spiritual knowing. And yes, doubt does factor into the equation, because you always have a tingling that you might, in fact, be loony.

However, as others can attest, when these things come to pass, it's more than sufficient than to suggest craziness.

What is "spiritual knowing?" How do you know it's spiritual and not just you working through your own problems?

YHWH_Saves posted...
I don't have complete knowledge of every generational response to world catastrophe, but I don't doubt you. However, what biblical history proves to us is that advanced societies, of which we happen to be a part (here in the West), birth unspeakable evils. The reason why the prophetic warnings of ancient, tribal Hebrew societies ring so true to our modern sensibilities, is because freedom/blessing invokes the innate human instinct to sin. Men are incapable of espousing freedoms without exploit. God despises Empire, and we're standing/partaking in perhaps the greatest one to ever rise in the earth.

According to our faith, human beings should not cohabit the same lands unless spiritually mingled/unified. We live in an era of mass globalization and breakneck technological advance. We have thrown people who could not be more culturally different than one another into a melting pot, under the constraint of limited resources, and expected a good outcome.

Because we have watched the world come together in our generation, we bear special witness. Sure, things have always been bad, but the world was never as united (in rebellion) as it is now.

I'm not sure why you've reached this conclusion. Advancements in technology and globalization have contributed to a more cohesive and safer world.

1. Crime rate in the U.S. (which is something widely studied and we have a lot of data on) has dramatically decreased in the last 25+ years

2. Public perceptions of crime do not align with the actuality (what you are experiencing)

Pew has all their sources listed: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/01/03/5-facts-about-crime-in-the-u-s/
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."

User Info: TurtleInFreedom

TurtleInFreedom
2 months ago#8
Crime rate however isn't the whole picture though. Look at the cultural landscape of western pop culture for example, as well as the moral landscape of your politics. Suicides are also on the rise (which can be proven statistically) while more and more people are dependent on psychiatric medication. People often look for transcendence in sex, drugs, and odd subcultures, and so on and so forth.

The Christian worldview doesn't see a certain facet of humanity, it sees the total unity of it, and tries to return to the state in which God is at the heart of all our designs.

"21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen."

I would say the moral landscape of our world is at peril- just look at the disarray of moral philosophy in academia, for example.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#9
TurtleInFreedom posted...
while more and more people are dependent on psychiatric medication.

I just want to point out how that's a shifty and uncertain statistic. You can probably show that more people are taking psychiatric medication than ever before, but you have a much harder job proving that's not because they were under-prescribed or unavailable in the past. More and more people are taking cold medicine as well, but I don't think you'd point to that as evidence there's more need for it than there was in the past.

And to boot, quoting that statistic in that way contributes to the stigmatization of mental health care, which could result in less psychiatric medicine being taken, but would also contribute to more mental illness being suffered.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: ledzep3__v9

ledzep3__v9
2 months ago#10
YHWH_Saves posted...

If multiculturalism was bad, Trump wouldn't be so against it.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Christians, you ever feel the urgency present in our faith?