This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Anyone else find it kinda telling that (nearly) all Gods are male figures?

User Info: Frolfer

Frolfer
3 months ago#21
I'm reminded of the scene from "My Fair Lady" where, believing he has lost Eliza, Henry Higgins spouts all types of sexist stuff: "Why can't a woman. . . be more like a man?" The thing about it is, before our Western society decided that jokes are bad, people saw this scene as funny. The things Higgins says may have been laughed at, because the stereotypes employed rung true to both men and women. But ultimately, the humor in that song he sings lies in the fact that it lays out Higgins as the impatient, self-absorbed, arrogant jerk that he is! Watch for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APPfTEv-YxI
Wimoweh!

Frolfer
3 months ago#22
I'm sure there are people on this board who are familiar with Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. Do you remember that scene where Mike theorizes on the nature of laughter? how he reaches the conclusion that all humor is at someone's expense?

“. . . find me something that really makes you laugh, sweetheart … a joke, or anything else – but something that gave you a real belly laugh, not a smile. Then we’ll see if there isn’t a wrongness in it somewhere and whether you would laugh if the wrongness wasn’t there.” [Mike] thought. “I grok when apes learn to laugh, they’ll be people.”

I think that there's real truth to this reflection, but I don't come to quite the same negative conclusion as Valentine Michael Smith. Is there a meanness in all (or most) humor? Possibly. But is it possible to poke fun in a spirit of charity and a spirit that at the same time acknowledges one's own shortcomings? I think there is.
Wimoweh!

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
3 months ago#23
I'm reminded of a scene from The Cosby Show, where one of Cliff's daughters (Denise?) marries this guy, and it appears that they're going to have their first argument over a plan that the husband changed in the spur of the moment, but he explains his reasoning and she immediately becomes understanding and supporting and goes along with it.

Cliff looks toward the camera in disbelief and a laugh track plays.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
3 months ago#24
I feel like you've walked in from a different conversation Frolfer...

This isn't (or at least wasn't) a debate about whether or not it's okay to take the piss out of women (it is okay)

My point was that isn't it telling that the great and powerful God beyond our realm is akin to a bi-gendered speieces in the world? Almost as if that creature made him up based on their society.
^ Hey now that's completely Merry!
https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
3 months ago#25
@Frolfer

Thanks for the understanding. I sometimes forget that text doesn't convey my specific intent or personality. My wife and I both joke in this way, as does everyone in my circle, but I forget there's a whole host of other human beings who perhaps don't.

On the flip side, while I get that the matter-of-fact nature of my post #5 might be off-putting for some, and that there are perhaps husbands who have never had these exact thoughts, are we really going to disclaim the nigh universal divides that exist between man and woman since the dawn of human expression? In other words, there's a reason why Elvis sings, "She looks like an angel...but she's the devil in disguise," or why Destiny's Child sings, "I don't want no scrub."

I do not believe that menn and women are duplicate beings with only superficial differences (i.e., anatomy). There is a world of difference between man and womankind, in terms of how they are wired to respond to crises, display emotion, approach problem-solving, etc. Is one superior? No. They are complimentary. And it is very obvious when a man or woman lacks/suppresses/denies their innate role in order to take up another.

I mean no foul intent, but I am highly suspicious of the direction in which we are moving as a society, that denies these differences, and suggests that we don't need manly men or womanly women.

==================

The bigger point is that where differences exist, so, too, does conflict of interest. There are time when my brutish nature must be curbed or quelled by my wife; there are times when her materialistic pursuits or covetousness must be stomped out. And I use harsh words, because we both bring nonsense into the marriage that has no place.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

Frolfer
3 months ago#26
UnfairRepresent posted...
I feel like you've walked in from a different conversation Frolfer...

This isn't (or at least wasn't) a debate about whether or not it's okay to take the piss out of women (it is okay)

My point was that isn't it telling that the great and powerful God beyond our realm is akin to a bi-gendered speieces in the world? Almost as if that creature made him up based on their society.

Hi Unfair. Yeah, your topic has gone off the rails and I have been a part of that. I did respond to your original assertions in post #14, in case you missed it.

I'm not familiar with what it means to "take the piss out of" somebody. Care to elaborate?
Wimoweh!

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
3 months ago#27
UnfairRepresent posted...

To address your point, and reign the conversation in.

Do you understand that the way you've framed this comment is affecting the outcome?

You could go that route, and say, "This lets me know that human beings created God."

Or, you could be equally justified in saying, "This is the best manner in which human beings could convey the infinite God to other like-minded human beings in this cultural context."

==========

I'll give a real world example. Let's pretend that I know nothing about God. If someone were to come into my home and wax poetically about God to me, it would make very little sense for them to tell me that God's word is like a fine wine, or to liken God to a militant conqueror.

Why?

Because (1) I don't like alcohol, and (2) I despite physical violence, even when retaliatory.

=====

God is "Father," because in ancient Near Eastern societies, the father was the provider, the defender and the retainer of the household "honor."

If you presuppose that God doesn't exist, sure - use your argument. However, if God does exist, then why speak of him in any other way to this specific people?
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
3 months ago#28
Frolfer posted...

I'm not familiar with what it means to "take the piss out of" somebody. Care to elaborate?

Make fun of.

It's origin is that when men sleep there is a build-up of urine in the bladder that may put pressure on the man's prostate gland, resulting in an erection. This is one of the causes for a lot of men having erections in the morning when they wake up.

These "fake" erections since they are caused by your body accidentially not arousal created the term being "Piss-Proud" as an insult to refer to someone who is arrogant without deserving it.

Equating their arrogance to the same thing as being proud of an erection that was caused by urine rather than sexual prowess.

Following that the term "Taking the piss" was coined to make fun of an arrogant person. I.E remove the piss and their erection withers into flacidness.

The idiom piss-proud died a death a long time ago but somehow "Taking the piss" that derived from it survived to this day and became a term for "Making fun of"

For example: In this video George Carlin is taking the piss out of religion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE
^ Hey now that's completely Merry!
https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
3 months ago#29
YHWH_Saves posted...
On the flip side, while I get that the matter-of-fact nature of my post #5 might be off-putting for some, and that there are perhaps husbands who have never had these exact thoughts, are we really going to disclaim the nigh universal divides that exist between man and woman since the dawn of human expression? In other words, there's a reason why Elvis sings, "She looks like an angel...but she's the devil in disguise," or why Destiny's Child sings, "I don't want no scrub."

I am going to deny that divide. Or at least deny that it has anything to do with biology or the innate nature of a gender. There is a reason Elvis sang what he did, but it doesn't have to do with the nature of womanhood, it has to do with the society he lived in and how that society defined gender roles.

The bigger point is that where differences exist, so, too, does conflict of interest. There are time when my brutish nature must be curbed or quelled by my wife; there are times when her materialistic pursuits or covetousness must be stomped out. And I use harsh words, because we both bring nonsense into the marriage that has no place.

That may be true in your marriage, but it isn't true of all marriages. If anyone is 'brutish' in my marriage, it's my wife, and I don't think either of us is particularly materialistic or covetous. Differences in genders do exist, but not to the point that they define roles in marriage or society in general. If you're brutish, that's not because men are prone to be brutish. It's just part and parcel of your unique personality and upbringing. Just as if my wife is brutish, it doesn't somehow mean she's less feminine or less of a woman, it's just part and parcel of her unique personality.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: LunaticCritic

LunaticCritic
3 months ago#30
There are differences between genders because chromosomes, hormones and such, but said differences can be suppressed or even reversed because of environmental factors; both nature and nurture make a person after all.
The user formerly known as crazygamer999.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Anyone else find it kinda telling that (nearly) all Gods are male figures?