This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Anyone else find it kinda telling that (nearly) all Gods are male figures?

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
3 months ago#11
To answer in a serious way...

In certain cultures, such as my own (I'm half Vietnamese), women naturally embrace equal but different roles in society. In these roles, they often serve nurturing functions of children and household. It's not the often caricatured male-dominant sort of societies, either. There is great effort to preserve the honor of women, who, for whatever reason, are often prone to worldly, materialistic pursuits (i.e., maxing credit cards, spending lavishly, etc.).

Admittedly, this has become blurred in recent times, with men espousing very "feminine" traits that influence women to step up to otherwise "manly" functions. I think that our physiology and psychology is wired in such a way, but that we're products of both nature and nurture, hence why there are societal shifts.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's obvious to me to imagine how and why some societies are patriarchal.

=========================

I don't think that most religious folk believe God to be a man/male. Rather, "He" is called "father" because "He" is the defender, provider, sustainer of the household.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
3 months ago#12
YHWH_Saves posted...
UnfairRepresent posted...
are inferior.

Not inferior, just different.

I said this in jest, because I haven't met a married guy who doesn't make the claim that the woman brings all the undue stress into the household. I'm sure the married women would make the same claim (and they'd be wrong!), but it was a joke, so...

Hi, married guy here. My wife helps with my stress, not adds to it.
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.
YHWH_Saves posted...
are inferior.

Not inferior, just different.

I said this in jest, because I haven't met a married guy who doesn't make the claim that the woman brings all the undue stress into the household.

Wow, everyone you know is s***.

That sucks dude :( I hope your situation improves soon.
"The US military is not an effective proxy for humanity" ~ Folding Ideas
Faciendere id pro RAVz
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Frolfer

Frolfer
3 months ago#14
I'm just saying the absurdity of the singluar supreme being from another plane of existence beyond science as we know it since said being created science and the universe as an omnipotent figure.... has a gender. I mean because we have one, so God has to as well right?

Speaking specifically as a Christian, I know of no Christian tradition that believes God is a literal male with a body and with man-parts (other than LDS people, who--if I understand correctly--believe that God has a wife with whom He procreates and that is from whence all of us, His children, come to be).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand you as saying that, because we are sexual creatures, and because we create God in our own image, we have historically assigned him/her a gender. Is that a fair summary?

I would answer that God is a spiritual being and does not have a sex. However, as He created us male and female, and because His desire is to be in a relationship with us, He communicates--He makes His revelation to us--in concepts that we understand. The father-child relationship is universal to all human experience, and is the metaphor God has ordained to communicate to us a specific truth about who He is and the special love He has for His creation.

And further, in Christianity, the mystery of the Holy Trinity--of God's very nature!--is revealed to us in terms of a Father and a Son. Are they father and son in the way we mortals understand fathers and sons? No. But father and son (and the perfect love they have for one another) is the very best way we Christians can start to have a knowledge and understanding of God. Matthew 11:27: "No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him."
Wimoweh!

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
3 months ago#15
YHWH_Saves posted...
because I haven't met a married guy who doesn't make the claim that the woman brings all the undue stress into the household.

You have now. I don't make that claim, even in jest. It's a pretty toxic kind of joke.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
3 months ago#16
YHWH_Saves posted...
The point I'm trying to make is that it's obvious to me to imagine how and why some societies are patriarchal.

Exactly

that's my point.

Isn't it telling that the omnipotent creator beyond our realm of existence and above our levels of comprehension matches up to the Whims of the culture of a patriarchal society and has a gender

almost as if they made him up
^ Hey now that's completely Merry!
https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
3 months ago#17
My parents look like me. Almost as if I created them

User Info: TurtleInFreedom

TurtleInFreedom
3 months ago#18
YHWH_Saves posted...

Exactly

that's my point.

Isn't it telling that the omnipotent creator beyond our realm of existence and above our levels of comprehension matches up to the Whims of the culture of a patriarchal society and has a gender

almost as if they made him up

What makes you say that Christianity or God is made up?

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
3 months ago#19
YHWH_Saves posted...

I said this in jest, because I haven't met a married guy who doesn't make the claim that the woman brings all the undue stress into the household. I'm sure the married women would make the same claim (and they'd be wrong!), but it was a joke, so...

Add me to the list of married men who never make that claim. She is never a source of undue stress in our home. Any stress we experience is due to external sources, and we always help each other through it.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: Frolfer

Frolfer
3 months ago#20
Wow, there are a lot of perfect husbands on this board who never get annoyed or impatient with their wives, but apparently are able to weather life's storms with complete unity of purpose as a couple, with nary a harsh word for one another.

I'm not trying to jump in a defend YHWH_Saves or anything. To me, the most offensive thing about his original joke is post #5 is that it wasn't very funny. C'mon, man: you can do better. I know you can.

But come on: what's with all the joke-shaming and virtue-signaling going on here? @YHWH_Saves is a known quantity to everyone, right? Does he strike anyone as a spiteful or prejudiced person?

YHWH_Saves posted...
because I haven't met a married guy who doesn't make the claim that the woman brings all the undue stress into the household. I'm sure the married women would make the same claim (and they'd be wrong!)

We're all smart enough to recognize this as tongue-in-cheek, right? It's humor. It may not be good humor, but all of you guys whose reaction is "OMG, toxic sexism! My marriage and my friends are so much better and more enlightened than yours!"...c'mon. I know we are living in a humorless society, but give a guy the benefit of the doubt, maybe.
Wimoweh!
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Anyone else find it kinda telling that (nearly) all Gods are male figures?