This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Anyone else find it kinda telling that (nearly) all Gods are male figures?

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
4 months ago#1
Either the monotheistic 'God' is male... despite only being 1.

Or the most important of the polytheistic Gods is male.

I know people are going to run in and point out a handful of examples of cults were this is not the case or like Buddhism were there is no God "diety" of sorts.

But in general role with it. In the Abrhamic religions and the western religions. God is always a dude, depicited with male characteristics, verbage and attitudes.

A supreme being beyond our realm and understanding... But he's male.

That sounds awful convenient if you ask me. Almost like it's something a group of guys made up.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a femminist "God's actually a woeman u gais!" thing. I'm just saying the absurdity of the singluar supreme being from another plane of existence beyond science as we know it since said being created science and the universe as an omnipotent figure.... has a gender. I mean because we have one, so God has to as well right?
^ Hey now that's completely Merry!
https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png
I think that your lack of exposure to religions other than mainstream christianity is kind of sad.

EDIT: Okay, that was a bad post. Let me go deeper.

Firstly there's a ton of cults where the chief deity is identified as female, such as one of the biggest competitorz to Christianity during its infancy, the cult of Isis. If we look to Mesopotamia, there's a lot of evidence that st times, the most important deity was actually In-Ana, and there's a story where Enki tries to date-rape In-Ana by getting her really really s***faced, but then my girl is just a better drinker than Enki and when he collapses she Girl-With-The-Dragon-Tattoos him and takes all his power by stealing his clothes.
Now you may say "aha, but the creator God is Male!" and that's... wrong. Even in the Greek religion - which is highly patriarchal - Zeus may be the king God, but the world was brought into being by the union of a primal Male and Female element. Another example is the Norse mythology where Odin is king God, but the source of our world is the Cosmic Cow Audhumbla - who has the positive female trait that it produces milk- and Ymir, the cosmic ur-Jotun whose supposed penis is never mentioned but whose body keep copulating with itself and producing life. And later on, yes, we have Odin, but we also have Frigg who is alluded to at several occasions to be Odin's equal. Unfortunately, most of what we have on Norse mythology comes from a Chriatian monk who wasn't interested in women so we don't know that much about her. Religions where the central deity of power is female aren't actually that rare in polytheistic religions.

Then there's the fact that what you're claiming isn't true for Judaism, where God specifically states "We have made them in Our image, as man and woman We have made them." indicating that God is both male and female. The reason God is referred to as "He" is because that's how Hebrew works. In Hebrew if you have a group of a thousand women and one man, the group is male.

Thirdly, the idea that Buddhism is an atheistic religion is... wrong. But complexly wrong. There's certainly interpretations of Buddhism that are atheistic, but those versions aren't necessarily the "correct" Buddhism as the west likes to present it. The line between boddhisatvaa as deity or saint isn't very well divided and in a lot of Buddhist traditions they legitimately are gods, and in some of those traditions a female-identified Bodhisattva is the central entity of worship.
"The US military is not an effective proxy for humanity" ~ Folding Ideas
Faciendere id pro RAVz
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
4 months ago#3
It's actually more telling that we learn to think of most God or Gods as male or make dominated. The truth of it, is more complicated. Especially when it comes to Pagan "religions" as they are far less unified then most people give it credit for and what we think of as a single mythology are just the more popular beliefs that people believed and not the sum total or consensus that we tend to think.
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

User Info: IHeartRadiation

IHeartRadiation
4 months ago#4
UnfairRepresent posted...
I'm just saying the absurdity of the singluar supreme being from another plane of existence beyond science as we know it since said being created science and the universe as an omnipotent figure.... has a gender.

Bored of CE?
I don't get it either.

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
4 months ago#5
TC, are you married to a woman (assuming you're male)?

That will answer the question of why the Abrahamic faiths are dead right on this one.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
4 months ago#6
YHWH_Saves posted...

That will answer the question of why the Abrahamic faiths are dead right on this one.

What? Is this a joke and I'm just not getting it?
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
4 months ago#7
Dagorha posted...
YHWH_Saves posted...

The joke is that he's implying women are inferior.
^ Hey now that's completely Merry!
https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png

User Info: Frolfer

Frolfer
4 months ago#8
Dagorha posted...
YHWH_Saves posted...

The joke is that he's implying women are inferior.

TC, I'm not sure that's fair. I don't know myself what @YHWH_Saves is getting at with his comment, but he doesn't strike me as the type of person who goes around saying negative things about anyone.
Wimoweh!

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
4 months ago#9
Yeah being unfair is his gimmick. It's in the name

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
4 months ago#10
are inferior.

Not inferior, just different.

I said this in jest, because I haven't met a married guy who doesn't make the claim that the woman brings all the undue stress into the household. I'm sure the married women would make the same claim (and they'd be wrong!), but it was a joke, so...
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Anyone else find it kinda telling that (nearly) all Gods are male figures?