This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Mehdi Hasan & Richard Dawkins - Head to Head

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
5 months ago#81
Asherlee10 posted...
Reading deeper into the studies I found and some of what you posted above, do indicate that it is a result of community-oriented gatherings. This would mean that secular meetings would work just the same.

They *can* work just the same, but secular gatherings that produce this sort of strongly-knit community are not all that common, and they're generally only available to people who are rather well-off. There's a reason why bowling leagues don't count, for example (those are readily available everywhere). That's why urban and suburban wealthy America have been able to weather the decline of the church - because they have access to organizations which provide this type of social trust that rural Americans don't. Rural Americans were left with a void, so they found someone to rally around, and elected him President. It's no surprise that that the overwhelming majority of Trump's supporters are not churchgoers.

DeadlyNinjaBees posted...
I personally use GameFAQs and the like to talk to other gamers for example, but I'd say everything from Comic Con to Furry gatherings fulfil the need for humans to gather under the pretence of shared convictions.

I'd venture to guess that the depth of the interaction matters too. That's why platforms where the interaction is shallow (social media, for example) do not have that sort of same positive effect - in fact, they seem to have the opposite effect.
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: PurpleLizard

PurpleLizard
4 months ago#82
JaeredMack posted...
“At the same time, a friend of hers, also 7, who was of a Protestant family, died, and she was told that because her friend was Protestant, she had gone to hell and will be roasting in hell forever.

“She told me, of those two abuses, she got over the physical abuse; it was yucky, but she got over it. But the mental abuse of being told about hell, she took years to get over. "

Wait, so did Dawkins say Catholicism was worse than rape? Or did Dawkins say that somebody else recounted her personal experience of Catholicism?
1994-0244-1993

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
4 months ago#83
Why are you bumping month old topics?
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: PurpleLizard

PurpleLizard
4 months ago#84
kozlo100 posted...

I didn't want to start another one.
1994-0244-1993

User Info: JaeredMack

JaeredMack
4 months ago#85
PurpleLizard posted...
JaeredMack posted...
“At the same time, a friend of hers, also 7, who was of a Protestant family, died, and she was told that because her friend was Protestant, she had gone to hell and will be roasting in hell forever.

“She told me, of those two abuses, she got over the physical abuse; it was yucky, but she got over it. But the mental abuse of being told about hell, she took years to get over. "

Wait, so did Dawkins say Catholicism was worse than rape? Or did Dawkins say that somebody else recounted her personal experience of Catholicism?

Dawkins says that raising your child Catholic (religious, generally) is a more severe form of abuse than child rape.

Now, he takes that back, in this interview, but it's something Sam Harris has also said and refuses to address.
Sanders '20 | the 1% is comfortable enough.
Founder, GameFAQs Inclusivity+ Initiative 2019 - Promoting Equality and Unity for Everyone

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
3 months ago#86
kozlo100 posted...

Because he likes them
^ Hey now that's completely woke!
https://imgtc.com/i/bHqCLJF.png https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png

User Info: Lion2480

Lion2480
3 months ago#87
Its silly to ask for a time stamp on a 47 min video. If you’re not going to watch all of it you’re not gonna understand the context. 47 mins isn’t even that bad, and reading one book takes much longer than that, so it’s not even a good analogy.

Anyway, those seeking shortcuts on a 47 min video aren’t really sincere in their efforts to discuss. You can’t have a discussion about a video if you haven’t watched the video.

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
2 months ago#88
Lion2480 posted...

Anyway, those seeking shortcuts on a 47 min video aren’t really sincere in their efforts to discuss. You can’t have a discussion about a video if you haven’t watched the video.

or they don't have an hour to spare on a whim
^ Hey now that's completely woke!
https://imgtc.com/i/bHqCLJF.png https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
2 months ago#89
UnfairRepresent posted...
Lion2480 posted...

or they don't have an hour to spare on a whim

0/10
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my awesome teams.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Mehdi Hasan & Richard Dawkins - Head to Head