This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Mehdi Hasan & Richard Dawkins - Head to Head

User Info: JaeredMack

JaeredMack
6 months ago#1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Xn60Zw03A

I'm sure this has been posted here before. It is the guy that has been destroying Trumpists in an open forum discussion with Richard Dawkins about the "dangers" of Religion.

I'm a big fan of both for their work in promoting in the idea that you should think for yourself and appreciate evidence. This conversation blew that notion wide open.

Mehdi Hasan opens up about believing the word of the Quran as it is written, and Dawkins struggles often to justify some of the more alarmist things he's said (which I'm definitely guilty of having parroted).

It's a long watch, but I think people on this board would be interested. It's the first time I've ever seen Dawkins challenged in such a way that clearly makes him walk back some of the things he has said.

Discuss in here, or whatever.
Donald Trump is an illegal President.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
6 months ago#2
Dawkins is ironically an extremist himself. >.>
Islam is Chaos Control.

JaeredMack
6 months ago#3
LinkFanatic posted...

That really kind of comes out in this discussion. He has a really visibly difficult time making even minor concessions where he must know he's been silly.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
6 months ago#4
I actually think that's less about him being an extremist than it is about him being a professional author.

He's a smart guy, by rights, so he knows when a point doesn't hold water. On the other hand, he also makes his money selling books to a specific audience, so he knows when giving ground will cost him sales, but he also has to weigh that against maintaining his integrity as an academic and an intellectual. So I suspect that apparent difficulty is less a matter of morality and philosophy than it is one of economics.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

JaeredMack
6 months ago#5
kozlo100 posted...
he also makes his money selling books to a specific audience, so he knows when giving ground will cost him sales

Very fair point.

User Info: UnfairRepresent

UnfairRepresent
5 months ago#6
LinkFanatic posted...

How the hell is Dawkins an extremeist?

Richard Dawkins isn't blowing up buildings, demanding we ban foods or trying to set up his own courts or ban the teachings of science.

Dawkins isn't even comfortable talking about issues like gay marriage or or weath distribution.

"Think for yourself and learn to appreciate evidence rather than accept conclusions simply because you want to believe them" is close to the polar opposite of extremism whether you believe in God or not.
^ Hey now that's completely Merry!
https://i.imgtc.com/YnvkpvU.png

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
5 months ago#7
He generalizes religions like a lot, mistaking actual extremists in those religions for the religion as a whole. That makes him radical, which is often used interchangeably to mean extreme.
Islam is Chaos Control.
(edited 5 months ago)

JaeredMack
5 months ago#8
Dawkins said that a Catholic upbringing is a worse form of child abuse than molestation or rape (he actually wrote and published and repeated it many times). He is absolutely an extremist.
Sanders '20 | the 1% is comfortable enough. It's YOUR turn.

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
5 months ago#9
Richard Dawkins is crazy.
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my awesome teams.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
5 months ago#10
JaeredMack posted...
Dawkins said that a Catholic upbringing is a worse form of child abuse than molestation or rape (he actually wrote and published and repeated it many times). He is absolutely an extremist.

I've got no love for Dawkins, but that seems like the kind of accusation that needs a citation to go with it.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Mehdi Hasan & Richard Dawkins - Head to Head