This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. It's painful debating with other atheists. A lot of their arguments are bad.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
4 weeks ago#1
Even among more reasonable ones, I often see them making just as many logical leaps as theists do, like saying that an uncaused god is impossible when it isn't if the alleged god actually exists.

Feel free to chime in with your own examples if you want.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
4 weeks ago#2
Are you *surprised* by this?
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: LunaticCritic

LunaticCritic
4 weeks ago#3
I mean, again, the validity of a deity is up in the air at this point in time, so people on both sides of the fence have to make some...concessions in terms of logic.
The user formerly known as crazygamer999.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
4 weeks ago#4
SSj4Wingzero posted...
Are you *surprised* by this?
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my teams.

User Info: iwasapoetonce

iwasapoetonce
4 weeks ago#5
Mr. Link Fantatic. I'm interested why you are an atheist? Surely, it can't be because a deity cannot exist, but rather (more probably) that you can't prove a deity exists?

That said, what are other arguments you heard that are bad?
I need a bit of help lads with some rushes ya know like helix rush n tech spam, do you lot know anymore?/v316/samuraifaith/mad.jpg

LinkFanatic
4 weeks ago#6
iwasapoetonce posted...
Mr. Link Fantatic. I'm interested why you are an atheist?

Lack of personal experience; even then, I'm not sure if that would convince me either. I dunno what will.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: iwasapoetonce

iwasapoetonce
4 weeks ago#7
LinkFanatic posted...
Lack of personal experience; even then, I'm not sure if that would convince me either. I dunno what will.

Ah. I totally understand. But there is a measure of sincerity (for lack of better words) in the way you post. I'm not getting the right words in my head, but there are some atheists I have met that don't believe in God due to lack of proof or personal experience, but they are very rational and well mannered about their way of thinking. There is no "your stupid for believing!" and there is a level of self awareness that many people (including those who believe in God, and perhaps even myself sometimes) lack.

For example, you will find some people's argument's for God inadequate and outright bad at times. But that doesn't give an atheist a blank check to make those same types of arguments. And yet, people like myself can often fall into that trap, and when called out people will say "Wait... but what about you when you said...?"
Oops. "But that's different!" is a common response.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, I could learn a thing or two from the way you approach a grounded argument, while leaving the ego aside.

That said, can you talk about some other arguments that you feel are bad? Doesn't have to come from an atheist. Could be an agnostic or even a God believer.
I need a bit of help lads with some rushes ya know like helix rush n tech spam, do you lot know anymore?/v316/samuraifaith/mad.jpg

User Info: OzymandiasIV

OzymandiasIV
4 weeks ago#8
Theists and atheists alike need to agree that s*** won't ever be proven and we should stop trying to prove or disprove one another.
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.

LinkFanatic
4 weeks ago#9
iwasapoetonce posted...
I guess what I'm trying to say is that, I could learn a thing or two from the way you approach a grounded argument, while leaving the ego aside.

Thanks, man.

iwasapoetonce posted...
That said, can you talk about some other arguments that you feel are bad?

Uh, literally all arguments for god are bad to me lol. They rely on proving something that you can't prove.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
4 weeks ago#10
OzymandiasIV posted...
Theists and atheists alike need to agree that s*** won't ever be proven and we should stop trying to prove or disprove one another.

That's reasonable to expect from an atheist, but it's not particularly realistic or fair to expect that a theist do the same thing if they're genuine and earnest in their faith. Because atheism is a non-belief, all it *really* teaches is that everyone's dying anyway, so spreading atheism doesn't really enrich the lives of people to much of an extent. If you get Christians to stop going to church, you've accomplished nothing other than they stop going to church, but they're still going to die and cease to exist the same way they were before they stopped attending church. In fact, they'll probably die sooner, since studies generally show that religiously active people live longer and happier lives.

But if a believer gets an atheist to change his perspective, then in the believer's mind, the atheist is saved from condemnation. The believer is convinced that he has brought eternal life (or whatever other religions teach) to the life of the atheist. As such, it's not really reasonable to expect that a believer just "give up" trying to help people. If the believer does so, then in his mind he's willingly throwing the life of another person to chance and letting them risk going to hell.

In the believer's mind, if he convinces an atheist to change his ways, he's saved the person's soul.

In the atheist's mind, if he convinces a believer to change his ways, that person is...still just a person. His fate hasn't changed, because his religion was fake. So if he kept believing, he'd have died and ceased to exist. If he stops, he still dies and ceases to exist. That's why atheist "evangelism" isn't really a thing and always has to focus on the terrible things religion does, because on a personal level, atheism has nothing to offer because it's a disbelief.
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. It's painful debating with other atheists. A lot of their arguments are bad.
  • Topic Archived