This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How To Get To Heaven When You Die
OrangeWizard posted...
Bob the Almighty posted...
I provided Scripture for everything I said. It’s a heart issue.

Sadly, nothing you said answered the question.

Yes I did. It’s a heart issue. Get your heart right and you’ll get your head right.

That’s the issue when someone thinks they can just work their way to heaven. They use their head and not their heart.

I was asked how to get faith. The Bible says “faith comes by hearing, and hearing from the word of God.” If that’s not an acceptable answer then the Bible is wrong I guess.

What do you do if you don’t believe? Study the Word.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

You have to humble yourself and let God be God. Start from there.
The villagers called him 'God's Savior' and his weapon they called 'Vampire Killer.'
Ah, Gandolfi, how that would make you smile.
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
4 months ago#42

Again faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. It’s how you respond to the Gospel message.

If you don’t believe that you’re dead in trespasses and sins when presented with a thorough Gospel presentation than it’s a heart issue. You still believe that you’re a “good person” and if you’re a “good person” you don’t need saving. After all God isn’t going to send a “good person” to hell (never mind that “none are good; none seek after righteousness; no not one”). God isn’t going to do anything until we first humble ourselves before Him.

You use the Law to prove that you’re not a good person (“have you ever lied? What do we call people that lie? Liars. Have you ever taken something that wasn’t yours? What do we call those people? Thieves” and so on). Once someone accepts that by their vary nature he is a lying, thieving, murderous, adulterous (among other things) ungodly heathen then he can see his need for a savior.

You're still trying to sell someone both the sickness and the cure. If the cure is salvation from damnation by God, if you don't believe in God or damnation, there's no sickness to be cured from.

So first you have to convince someone there's a God and he's going to be very upset with you about how you're living your life. Only then can you convince them they need salvation from his punishment.

A person can be fully cognizant of their moral shortcomings and strive to improve themselves, without also being guilty of hubris and without believing in God. Are you saying it's impossible for someone to not be aware of their own faults and wrongdoings? That the only way you'd realize you've got some issues to work out is if a Christian preacher tells you what the Bible says?
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
4 months ago#43
I feel like it’s impossible for Bob to really grasp what it means for someone to actually not believe in the gods.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
4 months ago#44
I was asked how to get faith.

I asked you "how does someone get to believe in sin?"

But it's okay, you have already spent multiple posts not answering the question. You don't have to waste any more words on my account.

iwasapoetonce posted...
OrangeWizard posted...
Also, we believe that there is no hell

What is the alternative to heaven then?

Nothing. Just normal death.

User Info: xfrodobagginsx

xfrodobagginsx
4 months ago#45
Hustle Kong posted...
I feel like it’s impossible for Bob to really grasp what it means for someone to actually not believe in the gods.

There is only one God and it's the God of the Bible.
dhalsimrocks posted...

Again faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. It’s how you respond to the Gospel message.

If you don’t believe that you’re dead in trespasses and sins when presented with a thorough Gospel presentation than it’s a heart issue. You still believe that you’re a “good person” and if you’re a “good person” you don’t need saving. After all God isn’t going to send a “good person” to hell (never mind that “none are good; none seek after righteousness; no not one”). God isn’t going to do anything until we first humble ourselves before Him.

You use the Law to prove that you’re not a good person (“have you ever lied? What do we call people that lie? Liars. Have you ever taken something that wasn’t yours? What do we call those people? Thieves” and so on). Once someone accepts that by their vary nature he is a lying, thieving, murderous, adulterous (among other things) ungodly heathen then he can see his need for a savior.

You're still trying to sell someone both the sickness and the cure. If the cure is salvation from damnation by God, if you don't believe in God or damnation, there's no sickness to be cured from.

So first you have to convince someone there's a God and he's going to be very upset with you about how you're living your life. Only then can you convince them they need salvation from his punishment.

A person can be fully cognizant of their moral shortcomings and strive to improve themselves, without also being guilty of hubris and without believing in God. Are you saying it's impossible for someone to not be aware of their own faults and wrongdoings? That the only way you'd realize you've got some issues to work out is if a Christian preacher tells you what the Bible says?

You can work out whatever issues you want, but you’re still a sinner by nature. You will never be “good enough” because God’s standard of righteousness is perfection. That’s the issue. That is what the Bible teaches. Obviously I believe we all have a basic standard of morality regardless of whether or not you’re religious because the Bible says God has written His laws on our heart. It’s what separates us from wild animals.

You also don’t convince anyone of anything. You simply preach the Bible wether it’s in season or out of season. How someone responds is between him or her and God. People rejected Christ. People rejected Paul. Who am I next to Paul, let alone Christ Himself lol.

When it comes to the Bible you either reject it or not. There’s no other option. You’re free to make of it what you will but when someone comes at me with intellectual reasonings, philosophy, or hypotheticals then you’re just wasting your time. Why do I say that?

1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness,”
1Co 3:20 and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.”

I consider the Bible the highest authority possible. If the Bible says one thing and man’s opinion says another thing then “let God be true but every man a liar.” That’s why I base everything I say on what’s in the Bible.
The villagers called him 'God's Savior' and his weapon they called 'Vampire Killer.'
Sorry I don’t have a computer at the moment, just a phone so I’m going to make multiple posts instead of one.

Hustle Kong posted...

No I understand fully. I am just responding with a Christian background. I’ve repeatedly stated that you either accept it or you reject. You clearly reject it. That’s literally it lol.

But then people keep trying to sucker me into a debate based on man’s intelligence (or perceived intelligence lol) instead of what Scripture says. I try to provide verses for context to everything I say because, in my personal opinion, I value what the Bible says more than what some atheist philosopher with a PhD has to say lol.

But believe me I never meant to offend. Just trying to explain my beliefs in context of what the Bible says about itself, which is why I try to always post the Scriptures that I am basing my opinions from.
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
4 months ago#48
It's like these guys were just told what to believe without being provided with of any kind of persuasive reasoning, so they, in turn, just tell other people what to believe because that's how they were taught.

And then they have a total lack self-awareness so they don't know how they sound to other people, which is a different problem that compounds the effect.
OrangeWizard posted...
I was asked how to get faith.

I asked you "how does someone get to believe in sin?"

But it's okay, you have already spent multiple posts not answering the question. You don't have to waste any more words on my account.

I answered this so many times and you keep ignoring it.

The Bible says the Law shows us our guilt before God. The Law is a schoolmaster that points us to Christ. The Bible says what it is says and if that’s not a good enough reply than we are not going to make any headway lol.

You use the Bible to try and show someone their sin and it’s up the the individual to humble himself or not. Again it’s the same issue with the scribes and Pharisees against the tax collectors and sinners. The first group were self-righteous and the second group was not.
OrangeWizard posted...
It's like these guys were just told what to believe without being provided with of any kind of persuasive reasoning, so they, in turn, just tell other people what to believe because that's how they were taught.

And then they have a total lack self-awareness so they don't know how they sound to other people, which is a different problem that compounds the effect.

Is your issue with me or the Bible? What have I said that I didn’t cite the Bible as my source?

If you accept the Bible as the Word of God then you take it as authoritative. I accept it as God’s Word and thus it trumps man’s finite intellect. But nothing I said was me talking out of my butt. I list Scripture that forms my opinion. If you disagree with my interpretation of Scripture than fine, we can have a friendly discussion on those grounds.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How To Get To Heaven When You Die