This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How To Get To Heaven When You Die
Hey man “God is good” and that’s good enough for me. 😉
The villagers called him 'God's Savior' and his weapon they called 'Vampire Killer.'
Ah, Gandolfi, how that would make you smile.

User Info: darklao

darklao
4 months ago#32
Sorry, did anyone explain how to get belief in Jesus if you have none and already have been exposed to all the stories?

We seem to have covered how you cant get there without belief and works don't matter.

So how do you believe?
darklao posted...
Sorry, did anyone explain how to get belief in Jesus if you have none and already have been exposed to all the stories?

We seem to have covered how you cant get there without belief and works don't matter.

So how do you believe?

It’s a heart issue. Until someone is willing to confront their sin head on he or she doesn’t understand why they need a savior in the first place.

Thinking of them as “stories” instead of the “truth” doesn’t help. I don’t know why I found it so easy to believe. I felt like I’ve always believed even before I knew the full truth.

Honestly outside of praying, fasting, and diligently seeking God’s face I can’t give an answer. But the Bible says that He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. I honestly don’t believe that God turns anyone away that is sincere. Maybe He’s already working on your heart.

Look at the prayer of the father in Mark chapter 9:

Mark 9:23 Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes."

Mark 9:24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"
The villagers called him 'God's Savior' and his weapon they called 'Vampire Killer.'
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
4 months ago#34
Bob the Almighty posted...
It’s a heart issue. Until someone is willing to confront their sin head on he or she doesn’t understand why they need a savior in the first place.

If one doesn't believe in God, why would they believe in sin? If one doesn't believe in sin, why would one think that they need to confront it?
OrangeWizard posted...

If one doesn't believe in God, why would they believe in sin? If one doesn't believe in sin, why would one think that they need to confront it?

Because when the Gospel is preached the Holy Spirit works to convict the hearers of their sin.

Romans 10:17 - So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

The Law convicts us of sin because none of us are able to keep it. The Gospel frees us from the curse of the Law. The Law shows us that we can’t live righteously before God and the Gospel says you don’t have to because Christ already did it for us.

Going back to Charles Spurgeon he has a great quote about this:

Charles Spurgeon

You stand before God as if you were Christ because Christ stood before God as if He were you.

OrangeWizard
4 months ago#36

Because when the Gospel is preached the Holy Spirit works to convict the hearers of their sin.

So your answer is to listen to someone preaching at you, until it makes you feel that you need to confront your sin?

That still doesn't answer the question of how someone gets to believe in sin, though.
(edited 4 months ago)
OrangeWizard posted...

So your answer is to listen to someone preaching at you, until it makes you feel that you need to confront your sin?

That still doesn't answer the question of how someone gets to believe in sin, though.

Again faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. It’s how you respond to the Gospel message.

If you don’t believe that you’re dead in trespasses and sins when presented with a thorough Gospel presentation than it’s a heart issue. You still believe that you’re a “good person” and if you’re a “good person” you don’t need saving. After all God isn’t going to send a “good person” to hell (never mind that “none are good; none seek after righteousness; no not one”). God isn’t going to do anything until we first humble ourselves before Him.

You use the Law to prove that you’re not a good person (“have you ever lied? What do we call people that lie? Liars. Have you ever taken something that wasn’t yours? What do we call those people? Thieves” and so on). Once someone accepts that by their vary nature he is a lying, thieving, murderous, adulterous (among other things) ungodly heathen then he can see his need for a savior.

But if someone justifies his sin (“I’ve only told little white lies, it’s not like a killed a man!” Or “It was okay to steal because I was hungry. God will understand”) he or she will always renationalize that they are a “good person.” That’s pride in its purest form and what does the Bible say about pride?

Proverbs 16:18 - Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.

Until someone stops justifying his sin and lying to himself that God will accept me for who I am then he will never come to repentance. Jesus talks about this when the Pharisees confronted Him about eating with sinners:

Luke 5:30 And their scribes and the Pharisees complained against His disciples, saying, "Why do You eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?"

Luke 5:31 Jesus answered and said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

Luke 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."

The scribes and Pharisees were righteous in their own eyes. They were too prideful to admit their sin. They were self-righteous in all their ways.

The tax collectors and sinners were not so. They realized they were wretched and poor. They understood the need for salvation.

The issue is people don’t like being told about their sinfulness. And when you try to talk to them about it they often snap back. The Holy Spirit (“which convicts the world of its sin”) kicks in and you either submit to the yearnings of the Spirit or you don’t.
(edited 4 months ago)

OrangeWizard
4 months ago#38
Oh yeah, I remember now, you're the one who's bad at answering direct questions.
OrangeWizard posted...
Oh yeah, I remember now, you're the one who's bad at answering direct questions.

I provided Scripture for everything I said. The questions have been answered. It’s a heart issue. Pure and simple.

I’m not interested in debating psychology or hypothetical “what ifs.” Either it’s in the Bible (or Torah, Quran, the Book of Mormon, or whatever holy book you’re basing your opinions off) or it’s not lol. I already know man’s philosophy is vain and useless. It says so in the Bible. 😉

Romans 7 is clear that the Law shows us our sin. Galatians 3 tells us that the Law was our schoolmaster that pointed us to Christ.

If people continue to be in denial of their sin then they have no reason to believe.
(edited 4 months ago)

OrangeWizard
4 months ago#40
I provided Scripture for everything I said.

Sadly, nothing you said answered the question.
(edited 4 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How To Get To Heaven When You Die