This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Isn't religion inherently dangerous?

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#1
I'm not railing against religion or anything, but like, isn't the actual definition of the word inherent connote a specific characteristic of something? Considering historical atrocities like the Crusades and Islamic extremism, it seems obvious that religion fits this paradigm. A lot of religious people won't do these things, but the fact that they can is still a bit worrisome.
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
1 month ago#2
LinkFanatic flopic
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my teams.

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
1 month ago#3
Whatever dangers might be attributed to religion can happen to people who lack religious belief as well

For example, the Crusades were not a religious conflict. The Crusades were a culmination of hundreds of years of European influence being beaten back from the modern-day Middle East. At its prime, Rome controlled the area known as MENA - the Middle-East and Northern Africa. Hundreds of years pass and Rome starts to decline, with the various caliphates and the Seljuk Turks coming to to power and threatening Rome's heartland, Asia Minor. So what happens? Rome asks for help from...the *actual* city of Rome, which was an ally hundreds of years ago, to beat back the invaders. The papacy helps out, but even then, the crusades weren't led by religious leaders, but rather by princes and political leaders seeking to empower themselves and boost their statuses and wealth. Religion was the backdrop - in reality, the Crusades were the culmination of a centuries-long conflict between the Roman Empire and the various states of the Middle East - first the Sassanid Empire, then the four Caliphates and the Seljuk Turks, which set off the Crusades.

But that being said, you could just as easily say that the Great Leap Forward is evidence that atheists are evil. I mean, sure, most atheists won't say that industrialization takes precedent over human livelihood, but the fact that they can is still a bit worrisome.

To add on, I'd say that *any* belief system that involves taking a position in some way (and yes, this includes atheism, because disbelief in the existence of any deities is still something that requires that you take a position on something) is "inherently" dangerous. I mean, people literally kill each other because of sports team allegiances and video game wins/losses.
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
1 month ago#4
Any tool or system used by humans has the pitential for danger.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#5
LinkFanatic posted...
I'm not railing against religion or anything, but like, isn't the actual definition of the word inherent connote a specific characteristic of something? Considering historical atrocities like the Crusades and Islamic extremism, it seems obvious that religion fits this paradigm. A lot of religious people won't do these things, but the fact that they can is still a bit worrisome.

I think that SSJ4 hit the nail on the head, but I'll respond in my own way.

Your criteria for "dangerous" as being something that can indirectly lead to an act of violence, greed, sexual scam, etc., is a bit worrisome, in my opinion.

The statistics do not support your claim unless you are willing to admit that every human institution/philosophy/goal has the potential to be more dangerous than religion. Last I heard, religious justification for wars across the entire spectrum of human history roughly accounts for ~7% of the total number.

I think what shocks us to make sure sweeping statements such as George Carlin when he said that religion is the biggest source of evil (or some other variation, I don't remember the exact quote, but I hear it ad infinitum to this day) is that religion is capable of specific kinds of evils that are relatively foreign to our sensibilities, and that men who profess to be morally/spiritually superior hold a higher responsibility to do good.

However, the vast majority of evil in the earth has absolutely zero to do with religious doctrine, even when we consider the most extreme subsects of "radical" Islam.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: LunaticCritic

LunaticCritic
1 month ago#6
Hustle Kong posted...

*potential
But yea, I take this position.
The user formerly known as crazygamer999.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
1 month ago#7
LunaticCritic posted...
Hustle Kong posted...

*potential
But yea, I take this position.

Where is autocorrect when you need it? Lol
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#8
What HK said.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: altm8501

altm8501
1 month ago#9
Religion both unites and divides people. I think it does more harm than good, but you can have your own take on that.
Screw your dogma, I'm a cat person.

User Info: TurtleInFreedom

TurtleInFreedom
1 month ago#10
You could say the same thing for any organization of people- take government or something like economical/political ideologies. (Which is the same thing as government, I guess). I'm basically echoing what HK said but yeah.

I think one thing you could say about religion is that religions try and underscore the brokenness of humanity, though.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Isn't religion inherently dangerous?
  • Topic Archived