This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Did the Virgin Mary give God consent?

User Info: GreenKnight127

GreenKnight127
1 month ago#1
Just curious how some of you feel about this.

In the era of #MeToo and women's rights...feminism...social justice, etc etc............I find it interesting that not a lot of people are talking about this.

I mean, even Apu from the Simpsons is being edited out of old episodes because of the trigger warning.

And radio stations all across the world refuse to play "Baby It's Cold Outside" due to the rapey undertones.

Didn't God essentially "rape" Mary by impregnating her with Jesus against her will? I don't think he ever asked. He just told her how it was gunna be.

What do you think?
"Think about everything you want out of life. Now think about how many of those things you want only because someone else told you to want them."

User Info: rockoperajon

rockoperajon
1 month ago#2
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

They're editing Apu out old episodes?
"We few... We happy few..." -William Shakespeare
"We band of buggered." -William the Bloody

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#3
Luke 1:38
And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

She gave consent.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

GreenKnight127
1 month ago#4
rockoperajon posted...
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

They're editing Apu out old episodes?

Yup, in some streaming services and stations. Google it.
"Think about everything you want out of life. Now think about how many of those things you want only because someone else told you to want them."

GreenKnight127
1 month ago#5
kozlo100 posted...
Luke 1:38
And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

She gave consent.

Don't you think there was any level of 'duress' at play, though? I mean....a freakin' angel just told you to bear a child and even what to name him, as if it were already foretold and expected of her anyway.

If she had said "No"....what would have happened?

Hint: She couldn't say no.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#6
Why couldn't she have?

It wasn't foretold that she, specifically, would birth Jesus.

Regardless, you're moving the goalposts

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#7
GreenKnight127 posted...
Don't you think there was any level of 'duress' at play, though?

Actually, I really don't. Go read through Luke 1 or Matt 1 yourself and see if you can find any evidence of duress.

She asked questions, had them answered, and said yes. Sounds like informed consent to me. I also didn't see any implication that she wasn't allowed to say no.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
1 month ago#8
Ah, the Kobayashi Maru. We meet again.
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.

GreenKnight127
1 month ago#9
I have read the Bible. I'm simply referring to the concept of duress.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I'm simply looking at the situation through the eyes of a 2018/2019 person.

The era of #MeToo

Sorta the way some people view bosses at work hitting on their female workers as rapists.

They are in a position of POWER.....and even if they are not "threatening" their female workers outright....the threat is underlying.....because she might be afraid to say "No" and have it negatively impact her career.

She wants to be on good terms with her boss, so telling him "No" is less likely due to that position of authority he holds over her. Which is why a lot of feminists believe it's rapey for a boss to even ask.

And isn't God the ultimate position of power? The Bible doesn't mention it, because it isn't exactly written like a novel, but don't you think in reality...there would have been some level of duress at play? That Mary might have been slightly afraid to say No out of fear of offending or disappointing God?

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#10
Don't ask "Did she consent?" If there's no possible way you'll accept "yes" as an answer
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Did the Virgin Mary give God consent?
  • Topic Archived