This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Who are some of your favorite mythological gods?

User Info: TalesofLizalfos

TalesofLizalfos
1 month ago#1
That god can be from any mythology except for the Abrahamic religions (as otherwise everyone would just say God, Jehovah, YHWH, or some variant of).

Anyways mine is probably Sobek from Egyptian mythology. He's basically crocodile Athena, so that makes him cool by defualt. He also needs to be in another SMT game. He hasn't been in one since like Last Bible 3 afaik.
- My theme song: https://youtu.be/eVsLt1JuPfg
- I'm just your friendly neighborhood lizardmen enthusiast.

User Info: Sherlock_H

Sherlock_H
1 month ago#2
I like:
- Athena, Hercules, Prometheus
- Thor, Loki
- Sun Wukong (technically not a god, but still a figure of worship/veneration), Nezha, Chang'e
- Shiva, Ganesha, Avalokitesvara (see note on Wukong)
- Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca
Jiangwu Luanwan: "The Gatling Gun" feat. Yuezheng Longya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIXzvuuLdaY

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
1 month ago#3
Oooh, so many good ones to choose from.

Ninkasi, Sumerian goddess of beer, has to rank pretty high up there
Hathor, Egyptian goddess of the sky and of music,
Ahuramazda, the great god of the Zoroastrians

My favorites have to be El and Asherah, the patriarch and mother goddess of the Canaanite pantheon. Parents of the 70 sons of El (the "elohim"). The reason they are my favorites is their fascinating connection with the Bible and Israelite religion.

There's also a funny story in the Ugaritic tables where El gets wasted at a party and two goddesses give him a cure for a hangover, but only the last part of the recipe is still extant. The rest of the tablet is damaged.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#4
I've always liked me a trickster god. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, so Coyote and Raven are favorites from my youth.

I'm also kind of partial to the Chinese/Taiwanese kitchen god.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
1 month ago#5
TalesofLizalfos posted...
That god can be from any mythology except for the Abrahamic religions (as otherwise everyone would just say God, Jehovah, YHWH, or some variant of).

Lol. Not so sure about that. ;)

If we’re going natural mythology, I’m gonna go with good ol Thor. I like my gods like I like my me—big and dumb. Or else if we stretch things, I might say Avalokiteśvara.

Invented mythologies, I will probably go with Yoharneth-Lahai from Lord Dunsany’s Gods of Pegāna.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: 3127

1 month ago#6
Aštoreth/ Ištar/ Inanna

Otherwise, YHVH, without question.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#7
Hustle Kong posted...
I like my gods like I like my me—big and dumb

No wonder we're friends. XD
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
1 month ago#8
In no particular order

Athena cause she's basically a better god of war then the god of war (Ares)

Odin. You got to respect a guy who sacrifices himself to himself for super awesome magical powers.

Freya cause of several non-mythological reasons but also because she is simultaneously described as incredibly fun loving and devastingly powerful.

The Dagda. My knowledge on this deity is a bit lost to my youth but I liked it so much that I bastardized the name to use for my online handle. It's been my most commonly used one since. Blame Everworld
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

User Info: TyVulpine

TyVulpine
1 month ago#9
The Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Fall down, go boom...
Life is like a box of chocolates. Most of it is crap.

User Info: panzerknacker87

panzerknacker87
1 month ago#10
Anubis. Good natured and fair deity who focuses on his duties instead of going on power trips and screwing with mortals. When push comes to shove he isn't a pushover.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Who are some of your favorite mythological gods?
  • Topic Archived