This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Blasphemy against the holy spirit... the 'eternal sin'

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
3 months ago#51
PokemonExpert44 posted...
There's a ton of evidence proving that humans walked with dinosaurs.

I'm still waiting on coordinates to that new planet you mentioned.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: FlyingForever

FlyingForever
3 months ago#52

But you believe the earth is 6000 years old right so tell me when did this take place 😂

Where were the dinosaurs on the Ark with Noah?

https://i.imgtc.com/t8JwZiy.png

Dying over here with this guy
Support Islam

User Info: PokemonExpert44

PokemonExpert44
3 months ago#53
kozlo100 posted...

I'm still waiting on coordinates to that new planet you mentioned.

Google the term "New Earth."
I might just 6-0 you in Pokemon. Watch out for my teams.

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
3 months ago#54

Why Google? IOW, you should be researching this topic by your own and on your own time, and not by only using an inaccurate search engine.
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
3 months ago#55

Like I mentioned before, I did google that. It didn't return anything about a planet in our solar system. It was mostly results about health food companies.

Can you just tell me where in the sky to look for this planet?
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: zinformant

zinformant
3 months ago#56
dhalsimrocks posted...
What is the more probable explanation? That it is one among many legends in the region that fit the same motif? Or that the Bible is an exception and is actually referring to dinosaurs? It is a special pleading fallacy to say that it's the exception unless there is strong evidence to the contrary. When that hypothesis is placed against the scientific evidence (which you certainly need to look into more deeply than you have... fossil reconstructions in museums are not all that significant as evidence), it becomes all the more improbable.

Can you recommend any books on the general subject?
Is it naive to dream of a world without war?

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
3 months ago#57
zinformant posted...
dhalsimrocks posted...
What is the more probable explanation? That it is one among many legends in the region that fit the same motif? Or that the Bible is an exception and is actually referring to dinosaurs? It is a special pleading fallacy to say that it's the exception unless there is strong evidence to the contrary. When that hypothesis is placed against the scientific evidence (which you certainly need to look into more deeply than you have... fossil reconstructions in museums are not all that significant as evidence), it becomes all the more improbable.

Can you recommend any books on the general subject?

On which, the Ancient Near Eastern myth and religion or fossil evidence?
May all your disgraces be private

zinformant
3 months ago#58
The former. I apologize for the ambiguity.

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
3 months ago#59
For Sumerian/Babylonian/Mesopotamian, I would recommend reading some of the old texts yourself. such as the Enuma Elish, Epic of Gilgamesh, Atrahasis Epic, the stories of Innana, the Sumerian Kings list, the birth narrative of Sargon of Akkad. There are lots of online sources and translations for these (Most of what I've read about these has been online), and a quick look at Amazon shows some good sources.

Myths from Mesopotamia: Creation, the Flood, Gilgamesh, and Others by Stephanie Dalley looks to be really good, and it just went on my Wish List as of this writing.

I'd also recommend the Ancient Mesopotamia Great Course by Amanda Podany. I've listened to the audio book and it's fantastic.

For Egypt there's nothing better than the Great Courses audio book lectures by Bob Brier. The gods, goddesses, traditions, rituals and beliefs come up a great deal. He's also a fantastic speaker. Also make sure to read The Great Hymn of the Aten. Much ado has been made about a supposed influence on Psalm 104, but I think there's reason to doubt one was influenced by the other. Nonetheless, it is a marvelous poem that shows another and earlier example of monotheistic veneration of one god.

For Canaan/Ugarit I really enjoyed Mark S. Smith Early History of God: Yahweh and other deities of Ancient Israel, and his work with Michael Coogan in Stories from Ancient Canaan, a translation of several stories from the tablets at Ugarit that had obvious influences on the religion of Israel and the Bible.

Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic by Frank Moore Cross. This is a challenging read, however. Very academic and thorough. It's one of those "little at a time books".

Yahweh and the Gods and Goddesses of Canaan by John Day.

Hebrews Mythology by Ignaz Goldziher is not only tremendously fascinating in terms of the unique Hebrew mythology that influenced stories like Samson, Jacob and Esau, Cain and Abel and others, it also covers an astounding variety of other mythological systems from all over the world, including an emphasis on pre-Islamic Arabic myth.
May all your disgraces be private

zinformant
2 months ago#60
Thank you for the thoughtful response. I have saved the post for reference and will begin with Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic. The Amazon previews affirm its density, but utility should go hand in hand with that.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Blasphemy against the holy spirit... the 'eternal sin'
  • Topic Archived