This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Blasphemy against the holy spirit... the 'eternal sin'

User Info: TheOrgyPorgy

TheOrgyPorgy
1 month ago#1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_sin

it kind of seems like if you know better but make fun of the holy spirit anyway you're sentenced to eternal damnation, even once.

maybe it's too late for me.
Radiohead

User Info: FlyingForever

FlyingForever
1 month ago#2
Apparently there are 6 unforgivable sins let's look...

Final impenitence (to die without either confession or contrition for our sins)

Aw man that 12 month old who sadly passed away never got a chance to ask for forgiveness just for being born in our sin :(

Impugning the known truth (to argue against known points of faith, and this includes misrepresenting parts or all of the Christian faith to make it seem undesirable)

So translation- WE ARE ABOVE EVERYTHING NEVER QUESTION ANYTHING WE DO OR SAY OR ELSE BOOHOO BE SCARED BY VERY SCARED WE ARE ABOVE CRITICISM
Support Islam

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#3
By any denomination I've ever learned about this from, it's a really really hard thing to do. You wouldn't have done it on accident or without knowing exactly what you were getting into.

I wouldn't worry about it being 'too late' for you.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: Bob the Almighty

Bob the Almighty
1 month ago#4
The unpardonable sin is the rejection of the Holy Spirit’s convicting ministry. The Holy Spirit convicts you of your sin when the Gospel is preached and you either accept or reject the conviction. It has nothing to do with making fun of the Spirit.

The Spirit draws you to Christ through convicting you of your sins. You have to decide to repent or ignore the convictions. The more your ignore/reject the more you harden your heart (see Pharoh in the Old Testament). The final rejection is the unpardonable sin - when you just absolutely reject the Holy Spirits attempt to convict you of your sin and draw you to Christ.
The villagers called him 'God's Savior' and his weapon they called 'Vampire Killer.'
Ah, Gandolfi, how that would make you smile.

FlyingForever
1 month ago#5
kozlo100 posted...
By any denomination I've ever learned about this from, it's a really really hard thing to do. You wouldn't have done it on accident or without knowing exactly what you were getting into.

I wouldn't worry about it being 'too late' for you.

It's funny when you think about it kozlo. Too late to what... all end up in the same place?
OH NO !
Support Islam

kozlo100
1 month ago#6
FlyingForever posted...
Aw man that 12 month old who sadly passed away never got a chance to ask for forgiveness just for being born in our sin

There's exceptions for that. Or did you think the omniscient creator of the universe didn't see that unfortunate loophole? Even if you're of the opinion that non-omniscient folks are responsible for writing scripture and making these rules, this is a really obvious thing that everybody saw and accounted for.

Impugning the known truth (to argue against known points of faith, and this includes misrepresenting parts or all of the Christian faith to make it seem undesirable)

Again, this is harder to do that the natural language makes it seem. "Known truth" is a much higher standard than you're thinking. It's basically on the level of active and deliberate heresy by deception, not debate about doctrine or theology.

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
1 month ago#7
The two interpretations I’ve encountered for this sin are:

1) Denying God’s grace when in possession of full knowledge of it (which seems to me almost impossible to do).

2) It being a phrase for being unsaved (which seems to me something extremely easy to do, but not something that anyone who actually has faith should be worried about)
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.

kozlo100
1 month ago#8
FlyingForever posted...
Too late to what... all end up in the same place?

It's generally more helpful to answer the questions in the context in which they're asked. I don't think the TC is looking for us to evangelize atheism here.

FlyingForever
1 month ago#9
kozlo100 posted...
FlyingForever posted...
Aw man that 12 month old who sadly passed away never got a chance to ask for forgiveness just for being born in our sin

There's exceptions for that. Or did you think the omniscient creator of the universe didn't see that unfortunate loophole? Even if you're of the opinion that non-omniscient folks are responsible for writing scripture and making these rules, this is a really obvious thing that everybody saw and accounted for

I knew these exceptions existed but the very idea they needed to in the first place is a bit ridiculous.
Support Islam

User Info: Bob the Almighty

Bob the Almighty
1 month ago#10
WelshGamer82 posted...
The two interpretations I’ve encountered for this sin are:

1) Denying God’s grace when in possession of full knowledge of it (which seems to me almost impossible to do).

2) It being a phrase for being unsaved (which seems to me something extremely easy to do, but not something that anyone who actually has faith should be worried about)

It’s both. A saved person cannot commit the unpardonable sin because he or she has already accepted Christ.

God’s grace isn’t forced on us. We have to make a choice to obey or rebel - just like the angels did. The only difference is that we are offered grace (because we all rebelled already) and the angels were not.

The angels had no excuse. They were in the presence of God in all His glory and still rebelled. We were never given that opportunity so God offers us grace even though we don’t deserve it. But God doesn’t force it on you. This is why the New Testament states that the angels marvel at our salvation and desire to study it.

The Holy Spirit’s current ministry is to 1) convict us of sin, 2) point is to Christ, and 3) restrain Satan’s activities for the present time. There’s verses for all these if you care.
The villagers called him 'God's Savior' and his weapon they called 'Vampire Killer.'
Ah, Gandolfi, how that would make you smile.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Blasphemy against the holy spirit... the 'eternal sin'
  • Topic Archived