This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What is this board's understanding of postmodernism?

User Info: TurtleInFreedom

TurtleInFreedom
1 month ago#1
Postmodernism as it relates to philosophy, theology, and culture at large. What do you think are movements that have risen due to postmodernism?

I personally think Trump is a slight consequential result of the postmodern cultural milieu of the 70s and 80s. Because the baby boomers were influenced by the vestiges of postmodern philosophy slowly emerging within pop culture, we were left with sort of this torrent of new and always fresh, novel ideas of things, such as the mystical (e.g. New Age/Age of Aquarius) that once these people grew up with, had no inner compass to guide themselves through the ages. And as someone who was born right after the Soviet Union fell, it saddens me that one of the last vestiges of what the good of America was has now passed away (George H W Bush). But then again his politics reminds me of the time when America was now growing out of its Cold War with the Soviets and had no direction of where to go. Likewise, I feel like there's a connection between the aimlessness we saw in politics with the aimlessness we see in postmodern philosophy. I think in a sense academia has reaped what it sowed too, with the advent of for profit universities which only provides students a degree and not with a sense of purpose or place within the world. Postmodernism being a leftist invention, or at least I think, we've now come face to face with the spirit of nihilism on so many fronts. In politics, in society, in academia, and so on. At least the economy has avarice, not a sense of nihilism yet.

Anyway you guys can ignore the block'o'text if you want, just a slightly drowsy/ranty post.

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#2
I think that MOST of what I see regarding basic human interactions, on an everyday basis, are the result of postmodernism.

No one trusts government. No one trusts religion. No one trusts their spouses. No one trusts their friends. No one trusts their bosses.

On, and on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On one hand, I believe that governments corrupt; religions scam; spouses cheat; friends lie; bosses show favoritism. On the other hand, I believe that people do not fundamentally understand their relationships as their pertain to the above categories, and are hasty in their assessments.

In simpler terms, I believe there are reasons for us to be wary of government, religion and people in general. However, I think that most of us operate without ever fully understanding any of the above, and have no business spreading conspiracy.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
1 month ago#3
I don't really understand what it is. >_>
Islam is Chaos Control.

User Info: darklao

darklao
1 month ago#4
This is just a dressed up version of the old "without God people will rape and murder" bulls***. It's the idea that "postmodernism," which is a reaction to old, dehumanizing, formal and/or restrictive ways of doing things, opens the door to moral relativism/nihilism/literal anarchy. Nevermind that the old ways are racist, classist, homophobic, ecocidal, and whatever, if we abandon them we'll all die/go to hell/all the bad things.

It's just the same old s*** in a different bag. The past in golden light with all the blood wiped off, and the future a burned out hellscape of drugs and masturbation and murder unless we follow the one true path.

TurtleInFreedom
1 month ago#5
darklao posted...
This is just a dressed up version of the old "without God people will rape and murder" bulls***. It's the idea that "postmodernism," which is a reaction to old, dehumanizing, formal and/or restrictive ways of doing things, opens the door to moral relativism/nihilism/literal anarchy. Nevermind that the old ways are racist, classist, homophobic, ecocidal, and whatever, if we abandon them we'll all die/go to hell/all the bad things.

It's just the same old s*** in a different bag. The past in golden light with all the blood wiped off, and the future a burned out hellscape of drugs and masturbation and murder unless we follow the one true path.

Postmodernism isn't restricted to the sphere of the Christian vernacular though, it's much more academic/philosophical rather than religious. It just so happens to touch on the religious because philosophy is has a lot of tangents with Christianity in general.

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#6
I think it's a lot more dangerous than "We're capable of finding out own enlightenment values without organized systems of thought!"

Questioning things, when done to advance the pursuit of truth, is always good. Doubt itself is something to be embraced, as it leads to more questions on the path to truth.

But questioning and deconstructing things for the sake of "just because" is bad. And in my years of being involved in these discussions, I am not convinced that most people who pose difficult questions or arguments against held truths do so because they're on a journey of finding truth. Most people who say things like, "Jesus is a ripoff of Osiris or Dionysus or Mythras," for example, don't even hold working knowledge of the figures and concepts they're referencing, and cannot understand the answers when offered.

I am convinced that most people who rant and complain - whether it be about religion, politics or societal stigmas - do so because they're angry and want to direct that towards a scapegoat.

This is the biggest threat of postmodernism, as I see it. People rebel without even knowing what or why they do so.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

TurtleInFreedom
4 weeks ago#7
YHWH_Saves posted...
This is the biggest threat of postmodernism, as I see it. People rebel without even knowing what or why they do so.

Yeah, good point.

darklao
4 weeks ago#8
The reason you think they are rebelling purposelessly is because you aren't listening to them.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
4 weeks ago#9
YHWH_Saves posted...

darklao posted...
The reason you think they are rebelling purposelessly is because you aren't listening to them.

Can I mediate this discussion, pl0x? I studied about postmodernism after I saw this topic yesterday. I CAN DO IT I CAN DO IT :D :D :D
Islam is Chaos Control.

darklao
4 weeks ago#10
Please do. lol.

I already wrote like 7 walls of text and started to get too angry so I clipped it all to a line.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What is this board's understanding of postmodernism?
  • Topic Archived