This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why was jesus amazed by people's unfaithfulness when he knew they would be.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. why was jesus amazed by people's unfaithfulness when he knew they would be.

User Info: visualboy2003

visualboy2003
2 months ago#1
unfaithful. mark 6;6

amazed and surprised are reactions that can only happen when you don't know stuffs before hand, but jesus is the trinity god, right. so, he would of know what people's choice to be - just like he knew that peter will deny him at exactly 3 times, and knew that judas would betray him. so, why still amazed by them.

also, why did jesus tell his disciples to keep watch and pray with him on the mountain when he knew that they would all fall asleep.

User Info: iwasapoetonce

iwasapoetonce
2 months ago#2
Why would he have known?
Disclosure: Not a Christian.
I need a bit of help lads with some rushes ya know like helix rush n tech spam, do you lot know anymore?/v316/samuraifaith/mad.jpg

visualboy2003
2 months ago#3
iwasapoetonce posted...
Why would he have known?
Disclosure: Not a Christian.

because he is a god himself.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#4
visualboy2003 posted...
unfaithful. mark 6;6

amazed and surprised are reactions that can only happen when you don't know stuffs before hand

Is it?

It's one thing to read about the Grand Canyon, and memorize the facts about how long it is, how deep it is, etc. It is an entirely different thing to see it, to experience it.

Jesus had human feelings. He marveled, he wept, he was anguished, he was frustrated. The whole gamut. That was the point, wasn't it?

, but jesus is the trinity god, right.

Not according to some interpretations.

also, why did jesus tell his disciples to keep watch and pray with him on the mountain when he knew that they would all fall asleep.
Does the bible say that he would have known this? Where?

iwasapoetonce
2 months ago#5
OrangeWizard posted...

I believe we had this discussion when I first came to this board.

Jehova's witness, correct? Who is Jesus to the Jehova's Witness? What is his significance?
I need a bit of help lads with some rushes ya know like helix rush n tech spam, do you lot know anymore?/v316/samuraifaith/mad.jpg

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#6
iwasapoetonce posted...
OrangeWizard posted...

Jehova's witness, correct? Who is Jesus to the Jehova's Witness? What is his significance?

Correct.

Jesus is the son of God, according to our understanding. Jesus is not Jehovah, The Father, the Sovereign of the universe. He was the first created being, and existed in heaven with Jehovah before the earth was made. He is also the Archangel, the chief of all the angels. He was sent to live as a human on earth to be an exemplar, and to give his life as a ransom sacrifice. This sacrifice buys, with its value, the opportunity for humanity to be restored to perfection as part of God's Kingdom.

So he would not be omnipotent or omniscient, as he does not even know when the end will come.

visualboy2003
2 months ago#7
OrangeWizard posted...
iwasapoetonce posted...
OrangeWizard posted...

Correct.

Jesus is the son of God, according to our understanding. Jesus is not Jehovah, The Father, the Sovereign of the universe. He was the first created being, and existed in heaven with Jehovah before the earth was made. He is also the Archangel, the chief of all the angels. He was sent to live as a human on earth to be an exemplar, and to give his life as a ransom sacrifice. This sacrifice buys, with its value, the opportunity for humanity to be restored to perfection as part of God's Kingdom.

So he would not be omnipotent or omniscient, as he does not even know when the end will come.

but he knew the future - peter deny him at exactly three times, keyword here - three.

only a god know how many times you would steal from your mother exactly, a human can know you will steal only.

so, he had that all knowing ability. so, why tell his disciples to stay awake.

also, would you still be surprised if you knew what the outcome numbers of the lottery be when you won it. no, right......making sense.

iwasapoetonce
2 months ago#8
visualboy2003 posted...

but he knew the future - peter deny him at exactly three times, keyword here - three.

only a god know how many times you would steal from your mother exactly, a human can know you will steal only.

so, he had that all knowing ability. so, why tell his disciples to stay awake.

also, would you still be surprised if you knew what the outcome numbers of the lottery be when you won it. no, right......making sense.

True. But the OT has some prophecies as well, no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_prophecy#Hebrew_Bible

I am not educated in OT, but reason would have it that someone must have told the writers of these prophecies with having full foreknowledge of the events. My presumption is that these prophets were told something by God.

These are very specific events. Not everything was revealed to them. Could the same have happened to Jesus?

I'm not actually trying to argue one way or another. I'm actually trying to stimulate dialogue so I can learn a bit. So I'm using what I perceive as precedent in the OT. If people before had foreknowledge about specific events but not others, could Jesus have been the same?

User Info: crazygamer999

crazygamer999
2 months ago#9
Catholic Perspective: He may have been fully human and God...but that doesn't mean he had to tap into his god power all the time.
"I'm talking about normal ****** people. ...Those people aren't us."-JunpeiIori
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#10
visualboy2003 posted...

so, he had that all knowing ability.

There are explanations for this, but I don't think it's important to go through them yet. Your belief that Jesus is capable of knowing the future is probably not based on this scripture alone, so even if I were to convince you into believing that this episode is not evidence of such a power, you would probably not abandon your initial premise.

So instead, I'll ask you these: Are you open to the possibility that Jesus is not omniscient? Would you be willing to attempt understand what causes me to believe that he is not, if I were to explain it?
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. why was jesus amazed by people's unfaithfulness when he knew they would be.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived