This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's your opinion on Eastern Orthodox people?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What's your opinion on Eastern Orthodox people?

User Info: Zednark

Zednark
6 months ago#11
I googled it when I was reading this topic earlier, since I didn't know what you meant by penal substitutionary atonement at first. The few things I looked at seem to view it as originating with either Luther or Calvin, making it a uniquely Protestant phenomenon. There may have been an antiprotestant bias, though.
Some people think everything's fine, everything's cool, and one day they wake up on fire.

User Info: crazygamer999

crazygamer999
6 months ago#12
A different take on what I believe in but pretty interesting and neat. Have incorporated a tiny amount of their practices myself.
The Asriel of the RPG:EE board. Monika is the only true waifu.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension

User Info: sketchturner

sketchturner
6 months ago#13
It is the only church to practice and believe the same as the original church founded by the apostles.

The Catholic church was originally united with the Orthodox Church but broke off due to introducing a handful of new ideas that contradicted historical doctrine. Quite literally, the Catholic Church committed heresy by first declaring doctrines that could never be changed and then later changing them.

Meanwhile Protestants rejected some of the heresies of the Catholic church, but kept others and introduced a new ones. Protestants generally hate Catholicism (after all, the definition of a Protestant is someone who rejected Roman Catholicism). Ironically, many Protestants are unaware of the great extent to which they are really just bastard stepchildren of Catholicism. Protestants tend to pretty ignorant of church history, at least anything prior to 1500's or later.

If you want greater detail, I could give plenty but if you're just looking for an overview, that gives you the basics.

tl;dr If unity and continuity of doctrine matter to you as a Christian, Orthodoxy is the only legitimate church. Any Christian who time warped from the 1st or 2nd century would ONLY feel at home in an Orthodox Church. It's not a denomination... It's pre-denominational.
NOW PLAYING:Twilight Princess HD, Breath of the Wild, Project Nimbus:Code Mirai

User Info: sketchturner

sketchturner
6 months ago#14
One other thing to add... A lot of the beliefs and practices that turn a lot of people against modern Christianity actually don't exist in Orthodoxy. I guess you could say it's a much more palatable version of Christianity. It doesn't require rejecting science or common sense.
NOW PLAYING:Twilight Princess HD, Breath of the Wild, Project Nimbus:Code Mirai

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
5 months ago#15
sketchturner posted...
One other thing to add... A lot of the beliefs and practices that turn a lot of people against modern Christianity actually don't exist in Orthodoxy. I guess you could say it's a much more palatable version of Christianity. It doesn't require rejecting science or common sense.

Agreed.

Crazy how a "correct" version of Christianity can be completely ascertained by thinking for oneself.

When I encountered God, it was not in church nor in the company of other believers. It was in the quietude of self-study, prayer and reflection upon life.

When I read the scriptures away from the influence of the modern church, I felt isolated from the mainstream. Then I started reading the writers of the orthodoxy, and found that wow - pure Christianity is not only beautiful, but is hidden away.

I found that many people are abandoning the church, but NOT the faith. Jesus said that which is hidden will be made manifest. I believe that Truth is in the process of making a comeback.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What's your opinion on Eastern Orthodox people?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived