This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm seeing a lot of Christians going after Stephen Hawking now that he's dead.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I'm seeing a lot of Christians going after Stephen Hawking now that he's dead.

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#41
Barenziah Boy Toy posted...
Y2J_0s_HBK posted...
No. That's called agnostic.

Agnostic Atheism is a subset of atheism. You're confusing positive atheism with generic atheism.

Wow! Unbelief is just as divided as belief, it seems. When did this all become so complicated?
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: crazygamer999

crazygamer999
1 month ago#42
Hawking was a cool guy
People making this into something religious is not.
The Asriel of the RPG:EE board. Monika is the only true waifu.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension

User Info: Dyinglegacy

Dyinglegacy
1 month ago#43
He was probably more like how I would assume most scientist to be. A sort of agnostic deist.

Doesn't believe in god in a traditional sense, but feels that if he does exists, he's not that interested in us. They also don't normally make blanket teenage angstheist statments like "God does not exist!".

The scientists that I have spoken to, when the subject is brought up, usually espouse a similar perspective.

From personal experience, it's typically the psychology, and psychology adjacent, vocations that go aggro with atheism. That's just from my time in college, so I'm sure it's not 100% representativeof life.
I tried to think of something clever to put here.

Dyinglegacy
1 month ago#44
YHWH_Saves posted...
Wow! Unbelief is just as divided as belief, it seems.

This is actually a resounding statment.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#45
Dyinglegacy posted...
He was probably more like how I would assume most scientist to be. A sort of agnostic deist.

You don't have to guess. This is a very public figure who had the question put to him many times. He self-identified as an atheist.

Stephen Hawking said..
We are each free to believe what we want and it is my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realisation. There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that, I am extremely grateful.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

Dyinglegacy
4 weeks ago#46
kozlo100 posted...
Dyinglegacy posted...

You don't have to guess. This is a very public figure who had the question put to him many times. He self-identified as an atheist.

Stephen Hawking said..
We are each free to believe what we want and it is my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realisation. There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that, I am extremely grateful.

He could be right. There's no way for me to know for certain.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
4 weeks ago#47
Point is, he's not any sort of agnostic deist. If we're going to talk about the recently deceased, we can at least pay them the small respect of making sure we're being accurate.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
4 weeks ago#48
Yeah. It's plainly obviously that Hawking did not believe in the existence of any deity, and he openly stated as such. Acknowledging the possibility that there *could* be one is not the same as actually believing in one, hence why calling Hawking anything other than an atheist would be inaccurate, as he openly declared his disbelief multiple times
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I'm seeing a lot of Christians going after Stephen Hawking now that he's dead.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived