This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Which Game-making Company Honors God More With Their Products, In Your Opinion?

User Info: DWA

DWA
10 months ago#1
(NOTE: Since many on this site, including the moderation board, correctly disputed that my original post was off-topic, I have since revised it to fit under the "religion" heading. But with all due respect, I personally don't consider Christianity to be "religion". Nevertheless, I apologize for my unintentional errors and hope this new version of the post conforms to the site's standards. I thank you tremendously for allowing me to express my Christian beliefs on your site. May God bless and keep each and every one of you involved with this site in even the smallest of ways.)

Over the course of my gaming life, I am naturally inclined towards Nintendo's family-friendly games as opposed to most modern video games of today, which tend to appeal to adolescents and teens on a grander scale. As a Christian, I feel that Nintendo's exclusive franchises (like Mario and Donkey Kong, for example) are more likely to be family-friendly than those of their major competitors (Microsoft, Sony, and PC, just to name a few), and as such, more honorable to God in content. Why Nintendo, you ask?

From my perspective, the massive bulk of non-Nintendo games of this generation are not usually meant for family play, but target adolescents and teens almost exclusively, limiting the number of people who can play the games. Many of these games and companies (including Blizzard Entertainment, the makers of the hugely popular StarCraft and WarCraft franchises) generally do not share Nintendo's relatively pure approach to their products, sometimes using foul language, sexual material, and/or graphic violence to attract their customers. I used to play games with offensive content of that nature (such as StarCraft 1, flash games like Softendo's Mario Forever games, and a disgustingly vile Mario flash game by Travis Interactive Gaming the name of which I cannot remember) and eventually got my perspective twisted and my mind perverted by evil desires, clouding my vision as I tried to walk with the Lord. If you feel differently from me about this, I won't judge you for that. We're all equal in God's eyes, whether we believe in Him or not.

What I'm driving at is that these days, I prefer to play it safe and enjoy family-friendly games, which are less likely to turn me away from my Lord Jesus except if I play the games too much and get addicted to them.

Addictions to the things of this world (even if Nintendo makes the products that lure one into the trap) are bad news, as they threaten one's relationship with the Lord by putting what that person is addicted to before what He asks the individual to do. I was once addicted to even the most innocent video games (Nintendo made some of those) until God, through His wisdom and guidance, showed me how to game responsibly. I strongly feel that if I were still trapped in gaming addiction, then the Lord would not have permitted me to set up an account on GameFaqs at all.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 reminds us that our bodies are temples of the living God, and that we must honor God with our bodies (by taking care as to what we put into our hearts and minds). You can believe whatever you want to, but I believe with all that is in me that right now, Nintendo honors God more with their merchandise than the other major gaming enterprises in the world. But no one on earth is perfect -- not Nintendo, not me. Only God is perfect.

How many of you feel as I do regarding this whole topic? Which game-making company honors God more in your eyes, and why do you feel the way you do about that company? Do you prefer Nintendo's family-friendly gaming franchises, or are you inclined toward today's modern games aimed at adolescents and teens? What do you think concerning the aforementioned methods used to attract young gamers? And how do you feel about the dangers of video game addiction? Feel free to reply -- I promise I won't intentionally insult you for any answer you submit, even if your message disagrees with me.

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
10 months ago#2
Definitely Wisdom Tree. They made unlicensed Christian themed games mostly for the NES, Genesis and SNES. I looked them up and apparently they still exist.

Their Christian Zelda clone called "Spiritual Warfare" is so bad that it's worth playing. You don't kill enemies. You "save" them by hitting them with different fruits of the spirit. And there's regular Bible trivia. Pretty easy questions, but I'm sure targeted to a younger audience.

Pro-tip: if you go into the bar, you lose the Belt of Righteousness and have to go on a quest into the bad side of town to get it back.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: rick alverado

rick alverado
10 months ago#3
Nintendo franchises tend to be my favorite, but that’s not about them being family friendly, but rather the fun gameplay.

They are a secular corporation though, and to say they honor God is rather silly.
http://ericbarkman.tumblr.com/chronohustle -My series about time travel
http://ericbarkman.tumblr.com/simplecomplications -My series about University students

User Info: Lord_Ichmael

Lord_Ichmael
10 months ago#4
I usually like Nintendo the best, but I can enjoy M-rated games just as much if not more than family-friendly games. I only don't like it when a game is rated M just to try to be "cool" because the quality of the game generally isn't very good in that situation. Nintendo being a secular Japanese company, I don't think they're trying to honor God with their products.
Ex-gamer, still on GameFAQs out of habit.

User Info: DenimDaddy

DenimDaddy
10 months ago#5
dhalsimrocks posted...
NES, Genesis and SNES. I looked them up and apparently they still exist.

Their Christian Zelda clone called "Spiritual Warfare" is so bad that it's worth playing. You don't kill enemies. You "save" them by hitting them with different fruits of the spirit. And there's regular Bible trivia. Pretty easy questions, but I'm sure targeted to a younger audience.

Pro-tip: if you go into the bar, you lose the Belt of Righteousness and have to go on a quest into the bad side of town to get it back.

This is the only real answer to the question.

If you're looking for well-known, currently existing video game companies that "honor god" then answer is none of them, that's not their job.

User Info: darklao

darklao
10 months ago#6
Games are inherently evil. Except Life. Any time you play anything else, you're just wasting your talents.

In conclusion, Milton Bradley.
[agitprop]
just words and so much skin

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
10 months ago#7
I think Square Enix, to be honest.

Specifically, the FF games always have very "Christian" stories.

Noctis is actually called the "King of kings," is the son of the royal bloodline who is tasked with quelling darkness.

Yuna is the summoner who has been tasked with stopping "Sin" by following the traditions of the elders. Year after year, the followers of Yevon fight sin, but it always comes back. Tidus is the Jesus figure, conjured by the Dreamers who send him to Zanarkand. Through his common sense approach to religion (something Jesus did), he is able to defeat sin for good.

Persona 3 is also VERY Christian at its core, but that would require an entire dissertation.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

YHWH_Saves
10 months ago#8
If you look closely, unless you're only playing CoD and Monster Hunter, you'll find Christian themes in almost all games which tell a story.

It's not about blatant symbols or terms - it's about the spirit of Christ, and central themes that keep coming up, time and time again.

Some offer critique of the faith, which are sometimes yuckily immature (Persona 5). Others stir the conversation up, which is always helpful for the disciples of Christ.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
10 months ago#9
I would argue Chrono Trigger had more 'Christian' themes than any FF. Just ignore the rubbish that is Chrono Cross.

YHWH_Saves
10 months ago#10
Al-Uzza posted...
I would argue Chrono Trigger had more 'Christian' themes than any FF. Just ignore the rubbish that is Chrono Cross.

Thanks for reminding me. I intended to place an order for a DS copy today.

It's been over 20 years since I've played CT.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Which Game-making Company Honors God More With Their Products, In Your Opinion?
  • Topic Archived