This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any interest in secular Biblical studies topics?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Any interest in secular Biblical studies topics?

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
7 months ago#11
I always value your input.

As for JDavidC's response, I share a similar perspective as you, but...

I attribute it to a fundamental misunderstanding of what the scriptures actually are. I don't think one has to assume translation problems (although I could point a few out myself), but rather that the bible has so many layers of western tradition lumped atop it that it's difficult for most to read it as it was intended to be read.

I have myself become closer to God by moving away from the mainstream biblical perspective that the bible is God's final word and authority.

If you follow the stream of prophecy concerning the outpouring of God's spirit (Joel 2:28), it actually makes no sense at all. God teaches from within, and Christ is known apart from the scriptures.

The bible is a book of insight, sometimes prophetic, from the people who have called upon the name of the Lord. It's not always certain, but is always sincere. It's not always "correct," but is always truthful. There's alot of doubt in the scriptures. A lot of questions. A lot of debate. We don't reach certitude until we reach Christ.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
7 months ago#12
I love studying the era and circumstances of early Christianity, same with other religions. Actual theological discussion is useless to me. Not sure how I feel about dissecting the Bible and who wrote the books or changed them (if they were changed).

User Info: CS_Goodman_

CS_Goodman_
6 months ago#13
How about discussion of Daniel 7 with special focus on the court, the Ancient of Days and Son of Man figures?
Did you ever see the rain descending from Mount Hermon?

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
6 months ago#14
CS_Goodman_ posted...
How about discussion of Daniel 7 with special focus on the court, the Ancient of Days and Son of Man figures?

Just to double check, you're interested in how secular scholars view the Book of Daniel and the details you mentioned?

I'll have to do some research on that one. I'm know big picture views of Daniel and the Ancient of Days, less about the court. The Son of Man figures could be a topic all on its own if you consider other references to it, especially New Testament. But that might be easier focusing only on how the author of Daniel understood it.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
6 months ago#15
Also, for anyone interested, I'm working on the Development of Hell topic. I'm hoping to finish it this week.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: CS_Goodman_

CS_Goodman_
6 months ago#16
dhalsimrocks posted...
CS_Goodman_ posted...

Just to double check, you're interested in how secular scholars view the Book of Daniel and the details you mentioned?

Right, and naturally my interest will extend to interaction and exchange of ideas, depending what you turn up.

I'll have to do some research on that one. I'm know big picture views of Daniel and the Ancient of Days, less about the court. The Son of Man figures could be a topic all on its own if you consider other references to it, especially New Testament. But that might be easier focusing only on how the author of Daniel understood it.

It sounds vague, but I'm choosing Dan 7 because I think its courtroom vision presents a crystallization of certain ideas/motifs found throughout the biblical texts/prophetic tradition up to that point. I don't doubt you'll find interesting points of comparison with other non-biblical sources, too.
Did you ever see the rain descending from Mount Hermon?
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Any interest in secular Biblical studies topics?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived