This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Would eternal Hellfire for people who would have changed their ways be moral?

User Info: TheOrgyPorgy

TheOrgyPorgy
10 months ago#1
Would it be moral for someone to be punished to eternal Hellfire even if they would have changed their ways in response to a significantly lesser punishment? - Results (23 votes)
Yes
26.09% (6 votes)
No
73.91% (17 votes)
This poll is now closed.
For the sake of example: assume that the individual would have seen the error of his ways and changed if he would have faced a Hell-like punishment for a day.
Radiohead

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
10 months ago#2
Not all sects of Christianity believe in eternal, conscious torment. Heck, not every sect believes in eternal conscious glee, either.

I do not think it'd be reasonable to give someone an undue punishment in the way you've described. I don't believe that God does this sort of thing, either. God is "father," not "evil tyrant."

Many Christians believe that God is an evil tyrant, deep down.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: JDavidC

JDavidC
10 months ago#3
YHWH_Saves posted...
Then why worship him if they believe that?
3DS FC: 3093-7112-3992
Pokemon X Water Safari: Krabby, Wartortle, Frogadier

YHWH_Saves
10 months ago#4
JDavidC posted...
YHWH_Saves posted...
Then why worship him if they believe that?

Fear.

Most people fear themselves into believing God. It makes sense, logically. If God really is who mainstream "fire and brimstone" preachers preach, then He is to be feared, precisely because He has the authority to cast the soul into eternal condemnation at His discretion. You and I, in this view, are mere spiders who are to be stomped out by the almighty hand of God at His choosing.

I personally do not believe that this is the correct (or biblical) interpretation of God. God is the father who RUNS back to his lost children when they show up in His driveway.

He is the shepherd who hunts day and night - even at the expense of breaking religious rules - to find his strayed sheep.

He is the one who looks at his enemies when they spit on, mock and scourge Him and says, "I forgive you."

The scriptures tell us that fear is for babes. Faith progresses beyond fear into perfected love.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
10 months ago#5
YHWH_Saves posted...

That’s a pretty audacious statement. Are you saying that any Christian who believes in an eternal torment in hell also believes this, or just some of them?
I steal your sock.

User Info: Lord_Ichmael

Lord_Ichmael
10 months ago#6
Hell is an infinite punishment for a finite crime, or in some cases no crime at all. The way I see it only the beings responsible for putting people in Hell are deserving of Hell. God, Satan, etc. (inb4 God doesn't send people to Hell, people send themselves to Hell)
Ex-gamer, still on GameFAQs out of habit.

User Info: MagicOracle

MagicOracle
10 months ago#7
Lord_Ichmael posted...
(inb4 God doesn't send people to Hell, people send themselves to Hell)

People send themselves to hell. Pastor Franklin told me that.
Not a funny joke Dimentio. If I wanted to laugh your face is inspiration enough. - Mr. L

YHWH_Saves
10 months ago#8
SockThief posted...
YHWH_Saves posted...

That’s a pretty audacious statement. Are you saying that any Christian who believes in an eternal torment in hell also believes this, or just some of them?

Sorry I missed this.

I would never claim that "any Christian" follows any particular pattern, as the Body is widely diverse. What I'm saying is that, from my experience, many Christians do not understand the incredible grace of God, and make it a focal point of their ministry to invoke fear. This actually harms the character of God that Jesus worked so hard to endow humanity with. There's an aspect within reverence that contains "fear," but it's not the sort which I often hear preached.

The Gospel isn't that God has an oven heating up, in which He's going to wrathfully toss sinners into should they die in their sins. Rather, the Gospel is that God is desiring to rescue us from the fiery torment that sin itself is responsible for. Paul says that loving one's enemies is akin to dropping fiery coals atop their heads. The love of God, when rejected, becomes that flaming wrath the torments the soul. It is nothing apart from love.

Keep in mind, I am located in the heart of Georgia, in the good ol' Southeast, so that might have some effect on my experiences.

YHWH_Saves
10 months ago#9
Quick clarifying double-post.

Regarding the belief in hell necessitating a tyrannical depiction of God...

I think it depends on the nature of how "hell" is interpreted. If human beings are indeed made to live immortally in some form of an afterlife, where their skin melts in the furnace, only to reform and then burn again. Then I cannot see how this can be reconciled with a God who is the essence of Fatherly love.

However, I do not think that the scriptures should be interpreted this way. Rather, eternal damnation should, in my estimation, be contrasted to eternal life, which is the absolutely blissful state of being of one who has come to know God (John 17:3). Eternal damnation, and the many visceral depictions given by Jesus and the NT writers, is therefore:

1) Cessation of existence
2) The highest possible sensation of despair in the earth (contrasted the infinite goodness of knowing and operating in God).

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
10 months ago#10
YHWH_Saves posted...
The Gospel isn't that God has an oven heating up, in which He's going to wrathfully toss sinners into should they die in their sins. Rather, the Gospel is that God is desiring to rescue us from the fiery torment that sin itself is responsible for.

I believe the Gospel is both of these things.

I have to challenge you on this (taking both of your posts into account, but primarily these words) because I believe (A) that there is a fiery place called hell where non-believers will spend eternity in conscious, never-ending torment, (B) that non-believers should be warned about this and will hopefully take it seriously, even if that warning invokes fear, and (C) that God is not a tyrant.

Are you saying that C is not consistent with A and/or B?
I steal your sock.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Would eternal Hellfire for people who would have changed their ways be moral?
  • Topic Archived