This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why do people believe in god without evidence?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. why do people believe in god without evidence?

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
7 months ago#21
kozlo100 posted...

Is it a different kind, or is it just a different subject?

I can't see as what I do when I decide I believe in evolution is a whole heck of a lot different than what other folks do when they say they believe in their gods.

I would say it's still different, based on both prior probabilities, background knowledge and the evidence provided.

The scientific method has shown to be reliable, even if not always perfect. Over time, as more experiments are conducted and evidence gathered, bad hypotheses and theories are falsified and good theories and hypotheses are confirmed. Eventually, the probability that a given hypothesis is correct is so high that it can be considered fact. Especially when evidence of different types and even scientific fields converges.

To put it simply, to believe that a scientific theory is true is to place confidence in the method. You could argue that some people believe it without understanding the method or the evidence, in which case they are believing a bit more blindly. But even without understanding the scientific method in its details or the evidence for a theory, a human being can observe and appreciate the track record of scientific discovery. We see scientific knowledge being applied successfully every day, from computers, communication, electric light, combustion engines, medicine, space exploration and many other areas.

To quote the popular meme: Science. It works b****es.

So when it comes to believing in a scientific principle, it's a reliance on what has been shown to be an effective method of learning truth about the universe. Why? Because the proof is in the pudding.

Now, that's not to say someone can believe something that's not true based on scientific methods. For example, newly emerging theories. But one should always be cautious about affirming theories that haven't been peer reviewed or that have little evidence or that have equally plausible competing hypotheses. For someone to believe in one with confidence is, indeed, misplaced until it has been tested, repeatedly confirmed and other hypotheses falsified.

It is my view that religious views are very different. Rather than converging, where one religious system after another is eliminated over time as they are falsified, they continue to diverge and become more various. None have been proven any more true than another. Most of them are not falsifiable. Even if some of their historical claims are falsifiable, human creativity is capable or reinterpreting them. Many rely on the belief in and interpretation of ancient texts that describe events that are impossible to verify. Even claims like "God is Good" or "God is Love" are unfalsifiable because if God is lying there's no possible way we could ever know.

Since there are so many competing, mutually exclusive religions, and since only one of them can be true, we can then conclude that human beings have a tendency to invent religions. This means the prior probability of any one religion being true is 1/n where n is the number of religions. In other words, very low. The only way for a religion to be more probably true than all the others is if the evidence for it is significantly better than all the rest. The problem is that the evidence presented for one religion is equally explainable by the others. More importantly, there is no way to test to see which is right in many cases, and it comes down to trusting that one's sources and reasons are more correct than the others. Something you might call "faith".

Conclusion: Any given current scientific theory has a significantly higher probability of being true than any given current religious worldview. It is based far less on faith than religious worldviews, where here I define faith as "belief in something despite low prior probabilities and the inability to falsify it".
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
7 months ago#22
dhalsimrocks posted...
Conclusion: Any given current scientific theory has a significantly higher probability of being true than any given current religious worldview. It is based far less on faith than religious worldviews, where here I define faith as "belief in something despite low prior probabilities and the inability to falsify it".

Your whole post is a good, solid, pat and dry answer that works. I want to acknowledge that. You've got lots of things in there that more or less describe my own approach and not really any that don't.

That said, I was thinking of things on a different level than that. More abstract maybe? I don't know what the right word is.

When I think about why I think evolution is a real thing, it's about 80% because I read it is in books that I trust, 17% because people I trust told me it is, and about 3% because I've seen evidence to suggest that it is.

Then we get to reasons why I trust the things that I do, and that's where your post comes into play, but while I agree with most everything you said, I can't see that it's actually universal. And in any case when I say that folk's faith is not a different kind than mine, just a different subject, I mean that they go through roughly the same process I described in the paragraph above, but would maybe say different things than this paragraph or your post.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
Barenziah Boy Toy 7 months ago#23
kozlo100 posted...
When I think about why I think evolution is a real thing, it's about 80% because I read it is in books that I trust, 17% because people I trust told me it is, and about 3% because I've seen evidence to suggest that it is.

The thing is that you are free to test the observations made in the book.
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
7 months ago#24
Barenziah Boy Toy posted...

How many have you tested?
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: DarkContractor

DarkContractor
7 months ago#25
kozlo100 posted...
Barenziah Boy Toy posted...

How many have you tested?

well for STARTERS people dont come back from the dead

got'm

"Herbs are like Arrow's Speedforce"

User Info: WindMouseHanpan

WindMouseHanpan
7 months ago#26
There is actually plenty of evidence, though some people refuse to acknowledge its existence.

There is also "personal" evidence. It's not something that I can prove to another person, but I have many many reasons for why I believe in God. I have seen, and experienced, His power first hand.

Let me tell you a story. A long time ago, when I was very young, probably 7 or 8, I had a severe problem. I HATED it when people looked at me. If people locked eyes with me for more than 2 or 3 seconds, or just looked in my general direction even, I would scream at the top of my lungs "DON'T LOOK AT ME!!!!". It's hard to even imagine that I used to have a problem with something like that, but, I did, and it was severe.

One day, my grandparents, who raised me, brought me to a church, and the pastor there prayed for me. He put his hand on my head, and prayed that whatever was causing that would be cast out in the name of Jesus. And...just like that, it left. I was never bothered by it anymore, from that second onwards. This is but one of many pieces of evidence, and for me personally, proof, of God's existence and power. I know that He healed my mind on that day.
Come check out Iido's Gaming Den for let's plays 'n other stuff! Tons 'n tons 'o games! :D https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqZW13u9eQiTvhqKG1L6Eg

User Info: Hexagon

Hexagon
7 months ago#27
WindMouseHanpan posted...
There is actually plenty of evidence, though some people refuse to acknowledge its existence.

Let me tell you a story.

Beautiful.

User Info: Dancedreamer

Dancedreamer
7 months ago#28
It makes them feel comfortable. I also imagine their parents instill it in them, the idea that 'believing in god = good' 'not believing in god = evil'. And people tend to have faith in their parents.
This isn't funny Dean, the voice says I'm almost out of minutes!
~Alexandra

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
7 months ago#29

There is also "personal" evidence. It's not something that I can prove to another person, but I have many many reasons for why I believe in God. I have seen, and experienced, His power first hand.

Let me tell you a story.

It's not that the existence of evidence isn't acknowledged, it's that it isn't accepted as sufficient, valid or that it is better explained by alternative hypotheses.

A perfect example is the personal experience. It's not that skeptics don't believe that you had the experience at all, it's that they don't think it is sufficient evidence for the existence of the god attributed to it, and that it's better explained by psychological and cultural factors.

One reason why it is questioned is because so many people of varying belief traditions have them. A Catholic, Pentecostal, Mormon, Muslim and a Hindu can all report having personal experiences and claim it is confirmation of their belief tradition. And those are just a few common ones. I have two Muslim friends who have had similar experiences, one of whom claims it changed her life.

They can't all be right about their confirmation. At most only one of them is right (though maybe you could make a case for both Catholic and Pentecostal being able to both have a valid experience, but not as confirmation of their entire belief system). What this means is that all the rest of them are wrong. This shows an established tendency for people of religious traditions to have personal experiences, but are wrong about their origin. And since it is impossible to test which are correct, if any, then it cannot be accepted as evidence in favor of one's own religious tradition.

It is also worth nothing that to people of all religious persuasions, there is plentiful evidence for their own, but the evidence for others is obviously questionable.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: ave1

ave1
7 months ago#30
awindmousehanpan- Thank you. You are a miracle.
I have a new sig and this is it.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. why do people believe in god without evidence?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived