This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Bible

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
2 months ago#1
How do you go about deciding which parts are good and which parts aren't? Let me rephrase, how do you know every single book is legitimate-- God Approved, Scripture?

For Catholics and Orthodox this answer seems pretty simple but to all the Protestants out there, how do you determine the value of each book in the Bible? Have you ever given any thought that maybe they aren't all good or that there might be something missing from it? I'm interested in the methodology one uses to decide the value of each book in the Bible because I imagine it must be an incredibly arduous task as each one has to be valued individually.

I also imagine no one has really done this but I'm curious if anyone has even partly gone through the Bible to look at it's veracity on an individual level. I mean just because one part of it might be correct doesn't necessarily mean all of it is correct. So yeah, how do you determine the merits of the Books in the Bible?
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
2 months ago#2
Iirc Protestants not including the duterocanon/apocrypha in their bibles was fairly recent.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

Dagorha
2 months ago#3
I assume not all Protestant sects use the same Scriptures either.

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
2 months ago#4
I’m pretty sure they do. It’s exactly the same books as the catholic and orthodox, minus the apocrypha.

I think the closest you get is that certain churches might prefer specific translations?
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#5
God did it.

It's His book, so he gets to decide what books are and aren't good, and so the bible we have is the bible God wants us to have.

But really it's a lot of history building up upon itself. These books were "released" somewhat chronologically. The first five books of the bible have been closely guarded and regarded as sacred by the Jews for ages. They were mostly written by prophets, so if you wanted a book you would have had to prove yourself as a prophet first.

It also helps that Jesus and the apostles all quoted from these earlier books, so they regarded them as canon as well. These books were in use by the people at the time of their release. They may have known or have heard of the prophets. They were convinced of the authenticity, and so they used them themselves.

The Christian Greek scriptures were mostly written by Jesus' apostles as well, so you'd need to have a certain set of credentials there, too. When they all died, it would have been hard to insert yourself into that fold.

If you were to be so bold as to claim that a scripture should or should not be included in the bible, you'd have to contend with millennia of arguments which either establish or deny a book's credentials. These arguments have already been had. Unless you dig up some new manuscript, nothing is going to change.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ

Dagorha
2 months ago#6
God did it.

It's His book, so he gets to decide what books are and aren't good, and so the bible we have is the bible God wants us to have.

How do you know?

But really it's a lot of history building up upon itself. These books were "released" somewhat chronologically. The first five books of the bible have been closely guarded and regarded as sacred by the Jews for ages. They were mostly written by prophets, so if you wanted a book you would have had to prove yourself as a prophet first.

That's not really evidence of anything. That just proves that they are old. Lots of things are old, lot's of stories too. Doesn't mean they are suddenly true.

It also helps that Jesus and the apostles all quoted from these earlier books, so they regarded them as canon as well.

They also quoted from non-canon sources. Not that really matters since you have yet to show that the books that use Jesus in it are also good scripture. You got to start somewhere.

The Christian Greek scriptures were mostly written by Jesus' apostles as well, so you'd need to have a certain set of credentials there, too. When they all died, it would have been hard to insert yourself into that fold.

You got to actually have to prove that they were written by who they were attributable too which isn't exactly easy. Also, they were written in a kind of order so it's very possible that the scriptures are all based on just one so it would actually be pretty easy to insert yourself into it as long as you don't run into one of the original Apostles which let us remember, probably wasn't very likely considering where they all lived. It's not like telephones were around.

If you were to be so bold as to claim that a scripture should or should not be included in the bible, you'd have to contend with millennia of arguments which either establish or deny a book's credentials. These arguments have already been had. Unless you dig up some new manuscript, nothing is going to change.

Many of them actually start with Paul's letters and epistles since they have the best historicity to them and he makes references to other works but still that does run into other problems. You see the thing of it is Christianity didn't give much of a damn in the early days about it's historicity. It simply didn't matter to them and as time went on the ability to prove anything went out the window. Quite a few early church leaders even decried the idea of a canon as they thought God's spirit couldn't be contained in the written word (or some such logic).

But by all means tell me what these early church leaders opinion on why each book in the Bible should be included and we shall let those statements stand on their own accord.

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#7
Dagorha posted...
That's not really evidence of anything. That just proves that they are old. Lots of things are old, lot's of stories too. Doesn't mean they are suddenly true.

Not only are they old, but they were taken seriously and regarded as canon by their contemporaries. That's my point. We take it seriously because they took it seriously. That's why it's canon.

Dagorha
2 months ago#8
OrangeWizard posted...
Dagorha posted...

Not only are they old, but they were taken seriously and regarded as canon by their contemporaries. That's my point. We take it seriously because they took it seriously. That's why it's canon.

And everyone took Suetonious seriously but not everything Suetonious wrote was true either. A person taking a thing seriously does now tell you how true a thing is

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#9
I thought we were talking about canonicity, not whether or not they were "true"

Dagorha
2 months ago#10
OrangeWizard posted...
I thought we were talking about canonicity, not whether or not they were "true"

We are, but they seem linked to me. But we can get off the subject of truth if you can answer what the point of having a canon is if it is untrue.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived