This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can anyone go through life not being agnostic?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How can anyone go through life not being agnostic?

User Info: RedZaraki

RedZaraki
5 months ago#1
There's no proof that higher powers exist. There's no proof that they don't exist.

If you want to live in reality, and base your decisions based on all known information, then the only conclusion you can reach is uncertainty.

And THAT is what Agnosticism is. To say: "there MIGHT be a higher power, but there's no proof of it."

Anyone saying anything positively for or positively against spiritual forces has no proof and it's pure speculation.

The question of religion is an unanswerable question and should be treated as such.
https://i.imgur.com/jKWMT8a.png

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
5 months ago#2
How can anyone go through life not being <insert speaker’s personal views here>?
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: PballDepot

PballDepot
5 months ago#3
It takes a courageous leap of faith to admit that the boogeyman might not be real. Not everyone is willing to make that leap.
http://i.imgur.com/3nl5l.png

Hustle Kong
5 months ago#4
The TC also seems to hold the opinion that atheism is anything more than not believing in the gods.

Being an agnostic, for me, would be a waste of a label. While there is certainly a “chance” that for example fairies or titans exist, I would certainly not call myself agnostic on that issue. I just plain don’t believe in fairies or titans or any other number of things.

Calling myself agnostic would make it sound like I give the likelihood of gods existing more than the honest addition that sure, things can exist that we don’t know about. Hardly seems worth adopting a misleading label.

My atheism is based on the fact that like with spirits, I have had no experience that leads me to think they are worth considering.

My atheism is also not the same as being “against religion”. I am a Buddhist, although not a super great one. I am a Buddhist because I have had experience that leads me to believe that the four noble truths and noble eightfold path are a pretty good way to approach life.

I do not, however, possess the amazing arrogance to wonder publicly (or even privately) how anyone can go through life being anything other than an atheist and a Buddhist.
Shooting Game never die.

User Info: DenimDaddy

DenimDaddy
5 months ago#5
RedZaraki posted...

And THAT is what Agnosticism is. To say: "there MIGHT be a higher power, but there's no proof of it."

To say "there's no proof either way" is just as much of a positive statement as "there is/is not a god". If you're trying to convince somebody to be an agnostic, you have to make just as much of a case as an atheist or theist.

DenimDaddy
5 months ago#6
Hustle Kong posted...

Being an agnostic, for me, would be a waste of a label. While there is certainly a “chance” that for example fairies or titans exist, I would certainly not call myself agnostic on that issue. I just plain don’t believe in fairies or titans or any other number of things.

What's a "chance?" is it just a 50-50 thing like a coin toss?

Hustle Kong
5 months ago#7
I definitely would put both “chances” far far lower in probibility. But if I don’t see a vig, I’m not going to work out the odds too thoroughly.
Shooting Game never die.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
5 months ago#8
No contesting from me, TC.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

DenimDaddy
5 months ago#9
Hustle Kong posted...
I definitely would put both “chances” far far lower in probibility. But if I don’t see a vig, I’m not going to work out the odds too thoroughly.

That's fair. But as far as I understand, agnosticism isn't just saying "there's a chance" it's saying "I don't see a reason to think either way at all" It really seems like you're not an agnostic because it just doesn't describe you at all.

Hustle Kong
5 months ago#10
Which is maybe part of why it rubs me the wrong way when someone has the boundless arrogance to suggest that they cannot possibly imagine living in benighted confusion like me.
Shooting Game never die.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How can anyone go through life not being agnostic?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived