This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any atheists here hide/lie about their disbelief?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Any atheists here hide/lie about their disbelief?

User Info: sergio343

sergio343
6 years ago#1
Just wondering if anyone here actually hides their disbelief out in the real world? Yeah I know it may sound dishonest, but I hide my disbelief for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, I don't want my family to know about my disbelief in God. They are deeply religious and I KNOW that it would hurt them, especially my mother, and in my opinion, it is simply not worth the trouble. Also, it's not like we talk about it very often, or when they do talk about it I just stay silent. On top of that, in my career, I have to lie to people from time to time about my religious beliefs/ where I go to church. It doesn't come up often, but they might ask where I go to church, etc. The last reason I need for someone not to trust me is because of something so little (in my opinion). Revealing my disbelief could EASILY mean lost $$$$ and, IMO, $$$>truth, especially since I feel I really have their best interests at heart. It's quite unfortunate, but it's the way it is. Other than that, I let a few close friends know my beliefs, but otherwise don't talk about it.
What about this over crowded land, how much more abuse from man can she stand?
~Marvin Gaye

User Info: TomPettyIsGod

TomPettyIsGod
6 years ago#2
Only person I actively hide it from is my grandmother.
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5040/kevinsmithb.jpg
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3237/1284683625869.jpg

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
6 years ago#3
There shouldn't be anything there to hide.

User Info: avsfan33

avsfan33
6 years ago#4
Not many people know I'm an atheist. I don't lie about it, but I don't bring it up and it rarely comes up. My family knows due to me not going to church with them anymore (although my mother seems to think its just a temporary thing).
Living comes much easier, once we admit, we're dying

User Info: king_gimpy

king_gimpy
6 years ago#5
Nope, if the subject comes up I'll tell people I don't believe in the Abrahamic God. If they have an issue with it, tough.
When I was born the doctor twisted up the facts,
he said that I was a devil son so now I'm having flashbacks.

User Info: sergio343

sergio343
6 years ago#6
Retrotastic posted...
There shouldn't be anything there to hide.

I agree, unfortunately sometimes it's the best option.
What about this over crowded land, how much more abuse from man can she stand?
~Marvin Gaye

User Info: SuperCups23

SuperCups23
6 years ago#7
Eh, I just opt to not disclose if I can avoid doing so.
Check out my blog: www.gregisdumb.com

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
6 years ago#8
I try to be as honest as possible, in all respects, but particularly regarding my beliefs. That does include telling someone that I'm not comfortable sharing my beliefs, or that my beliefs are none of their business, if that is the case.

What I won't do is feign belief for convenience or personal advantage.
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
6 years ago#9
I have yet to be in a situation where I thought hiding my atheism would be better. Anyone who feels the need to ask (or if it comes up in conversation) knows.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
6 years ago#10
No, I do not hide it. There is nothing to be ashamed of and I find it a bit silly some do hide it.
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Any atheists here hide/lie about their disbelief?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived